Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:05 PM   #11

Already sold my fz1! =/
Tazman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:46 PM   #12

I don't think you 'need' the Z10 but one of these days you may want to enlarge to an 11x14 or more and then you'll wish you had the extra pixels. I have an old reliable Epson 850Z (2.1 mp) and while it does fine for 4x6 and 5x7, I'm not satisfied with 8x10 prints unless conditions are near perfect when shooting the pic. If you never print then you don't 'need' the extra pixels especially if viewing on a computer monitor. Just my opinion. I'd still get the 10Z as in the long run, it's not much money difference really. Like the good ol' salespeople used to say (and probably still do)= Say you keep the camera for 5 years. 5x52 weeks in a year = 260 weeks, so going for the 10Z only costs you about a buck a week. Do yourself a favor and spend a buck less per week on one of your 'vices' (smoking, drinking, EATING (if you're like me, that's the one!) and then reward yourself with the 10Z :-)

Charlie
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:56 PM   #13

Default Prediction that the FZ1's will love

I almost purchased an FZ1 a few months ago when I read an article written by a Washington Poster that lauded the FZ1, telling the story of how a group of professional photographers who gathered together from time-to-time became absolutely giddy over how it could perform. Since then I have not read anything that substantially challenges the opinion of these pros. However, the FZ10 appears to be gaining negative comments as people finally get it into their hands. I purchased an FZ10 rather than the FZ1 primarily because of the "manual" stuff. Now here is my prediction:
"In a few months postings will be everywhere lauding the stability of the FZ1 and the hyperactivity and lack of stability of the FZ10 (like someone pumped up with steroids, lookin' fine but full of cancers). I suspected that this possibility existed, but took the plunge anyway.
Hey FZ1 faithful...good choice!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:37 PM   #14

Retraction

Sometimes I speak before I have given evidence a chance to prove itself. What can I say, I'm impulsive from time to time. Over the last month or so I have found the FZ10 to be a good performer in it's own particular environment, which is stabalized zooming in good light. I'm happy to have the manual controls that the FZ1 doesn't proffer; further, if I was to compile a list of "bad" and "good" on the FZ10, for the price I suspect that the "good" list would be quite respectably long. http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm
I apologize for possibly misleading a few readers.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 2:42 AM   #15

well.. i'm in the same boat as Jon here..
any advice would be appreciated.

i'm a beginning photographer.. and the fz1 REALLY appealed to me because of it's high zoom and compact size.. but i'm a little concered about the no manual settings.

for those of you that used the fz1 (without accessories like teleconverter or external flash), how good are your pictures knowing the camera is doing the "thinking" for you? basically, how good is the automatic settings?

what i'm looking for is to have crisp clear photos of nature stuff (squirels, flowers, animals, night sky, etc..) but i also want to capture fast moving objects like someone catching a frisbee or a dog running, perhaps visible rain drops (i'm not sure if that's possible)
how does the fz1 fair in these situations? do you feel limited by the lack of manual controls?

i'm not sure i need the manual controls of the fz10 if the fz1 is an excellent camera for these types of pictures..

what do you think...
any advice is appreciated..
naz4viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 6:33 PM   #16

The automatic settings work very well for me in the situations you describe. I bought the FZ1 as a "take everywhere" fun camera. I didn't care about manual controls since I wouldn't have time to fiddle with them anyhow. And I rarely print anything larger than 4x6 so the additional resolution of the FZ10 would be wasted on me.

I have since done the firmware upgrade to convert my camera to an FZ2. Now that I have manual aperture and shutter modes I find that I don't use them all that often. So don't worry about manual controls - they're available if you really want them - but the camera takes wonderful pictures without them.
brass_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:49 PM   #17

I agree -- I have found the FZ1's auto mode to be the best I've found so far. I've directly compared the FZ1 with three other digicams I've owned, and the FZ1's ability to assess the ambient conditions and set the camera correctly for the best pictures is just incredible. One of the cameras I compared with the FZ1 side-by-side is a Minolta Dimage Z1. I believe the Minolta Z1 is capable of taking as good of pictures as the Panasonic FZ1, but to do so you'd have to set some settings manually, because there is absolutely no comparison in full auto mode -- the FZ1 took MUCH better pictures.

I have also found that although the FZ1 is considered a fully automatic camera, there are some manual settings that you can make that can help take better pictures in extreme circumstances. For example, you can manually set the ISO, which greatly affects picture quality, and you can also manually set white balance and make exposure adjustments. With the FZ1's automatic logic seemingly being one of the best, you can also rely on the special modes available with the camera (sport, panning, portrait, nightshot, etc.). The flash also has multiple settings (forced, auto, red-eye, and slow sync), and you can use the various special auto modes and the few manual settings to "trick" the camera into doing what you want it to do under special circumstances. For example, when I want to take a flash picture of a very large room, I manually set the white balance, manually set the ISO to 100 or 200, put the flash in slow-sync mode, and took a picture -- a 30-foot room was completely lit up by my FZ1's onboard flash and I ended up with a really nice picture. For infrared photography where you'll need a longer exposure time, just use night mode -- and you can even choose between an 8-second exposure by keeping the flash off or just a one-second exposure by turning the flash on.

So, as you can see, you're not as forced into full automatic as you might think. I also upgraded my FZ1's firmware (which you can buy in a $50 kit from online Japanese stores or even download it from several locations if you want to go the controversial route), so I have more white balance settings, shutter and aperature priority, and a few other enhancements. I do use the additional manual settings more than I thought I would, but I also will go back to the normal and special automatic settings as well. I have found as an amateur photographer, that when I try to "play" with manual settings like a professional photographer, I will frequently mess up a photo opportunity, whereas the automatic settings on the FZ1 seem to capture things perfectly about 99% of the time.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:38 AM   #18

thanks for the help guys!! a fz1 over the fz10 would certainly save a chunk of money. i can use that to buy a bigger SD card and case, etc..

btw, how easy is it to update the firmware to fz2? what do you do exactly...
naz4viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:25 AM   #19

Default fz1 firmware upgrade

FZ1 firmware upgrade proceedure at http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1upgrade.htm
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote