Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:36 AM   #1

Default FZ1 vs FZ10

I was all set on the 2 mp FZ1 - when the new one came out with 4 MP. I have an Oly d-460 now (1.3 mp). I rarely print pictures - if I do - its 4 x 6..so my question is...do I need the 4MP version. the FZ1 is about $200 cheaper....would I be under-buying if I went with that given how I use my camera? Thanks....Jon in Dallas
JonBattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:43 AM   #2

Given what you use your camera for I would go with the FZ1. But, if you are able to afford it, I would go with the FZ10.

I used to work in computer sales, and I always would tell everyone to go with the most you could afford. Not because I wanted to make a big sale (we were non-commisioned anyway) but because after you get the computer home and start playing with it, you would say to yourself, "..I should have got the one with the built-in XYZ!..." I got my FZ1 when it first hit the US market. If I were buying a camera today and had the $$$$ to do so (and didn't already have the FZ1) I would buy the FZ10. But, that's just me.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:34 PM   #3

Default are different cameras

I've a FZ1.

FZ1's image quality is better (look at pictures from both cameras at 100% of enlargement)

but if you need manual controls, then think on FZ10.

Probably I'll keep my FZ1 and buy the FZ10 too.
setsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 3:44 PM   #4

From steves reviews the FZ10 seems better to me in picture quality. Maybe you looked at other peoples random pics?
Tazman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:33 PM   #5

Default my FZ1 experience

I have shooted several hundreds of pictures from April (when I bought it); none with CA nor fringings I saw in some FZ10's pictures.

http://www.maslluhi.net/fz1-fz2/cate...t_id=13&page=1

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=327845

(I can send originals - let me the time to find them)

I print them "in the house" with an Epson Stylus Photo 830 or an HP DeskJet 970 Cxi, in A4 format, and look perfect (you can't see a pixel) - I've downloaded and printed FZ10 shoots without noticeable difference (2 Mp vs. 4 Mp).

I'm very interested in the FZ10 for his exposure controls, histogram, manual focus, dedicated ad-on lenses, and much more.

For me they are quite different, and very good, cameras.
setsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:56 PM   #6

Well neither of those links work for me yet. But i used to have a fz1 but have not gotton a fz10 yet. Got a canon a70 as a small camera to keep me semi sane till i decide to get the fz10 and also because the fz10 like the fz1 has problems with low light focusing so. This camera does not as it has the focus assist illuminator. BUT have no real zoom is bugging me! Heh
Old Dec 1, 2003, 6:17 PM   #7

Jon - As an upgrade to the d460, I would go with the fz1. The d490 was my first zoom digital camera and I think the fz1 would be an excellent next step. The fz10 is alot more camera than you need.
And with the $200 you save you can get an Olympus tcon17 teleconverter ($100) which will give you 1.7x more xoom (a total of 20x). AND get an Olympus b-macro close-up lens ($80) which will significantly improve the fz1's macro capability. They both have 55mm threads and attach easily to the 55mm threaded adapter that comes with the fz1. With that little setup, you'll have the world in your hands.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:47 AM   #8

The only thing I wish the FZ1 had that the FZ10 has is a manual focus ring. Other than that, I get along just fine with my FZ1 and do not find myself wanting the bigger FZ10, which will also require bigger memory cards, a new case, new add-on lenses and filters, etc. I sure do wish it has a manual focus ring though. I also wouldn't mind the higher frames per second video mode, but that's a luxury. I got used to a manual focus ring on my Sony FD91 with it's stabilized 14x optical zoom! But I love my FZ1, don't mind at all that it's "only" 2 megapixels because with a 12x optical zoom, you're not losing any resolution by having to crop the final picture (like other digicams that may be 5 megapixel, but only have a lowly 3x zoom). Again, you're also able to fit more pictures on a memory card, whereas a 4 megapixel camera is going to require some serious sized memory cards, especially when on vacation and away from a computer.

On the subject of add-on lenses, wouldn't the total zoom be an addition rather than multiplication issue? Remember, any add-on telephoto lens is "seeing" the subject first and not magnifying the subject after the total 12x zoom has been applied. So wouldn't the total zoom be a 13.7x zoom instead of a 20x? Not knowing for sure how to do the math, this seems to be what I'm getting with my 2.5x telephoto add-on (a total of 14.5x). Anyone know how this actually works?
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:00 PM   #9

But you can always shrink the pic size when you know your going on a vacation and thus can take more pics. I like having the option of more megapixels just incase but it doesn't mean you have to use it.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman2
But you can always shrink the pic size when you know your going on a vacation and thus can take more pics. I like having the option of more megapixels just incase but it doesn't mean you have to use it.
Just in case of what? What do you need more megapixels for? 2.0 megapixels produces a sharp 8x10, especially when you have the wonderful stabilized 12x optical lens, so you won't need to do any post process "zooming" (cropping). That's pretty much the only reason for anything over 2.0 megapixels -- the typical lousey optical zooms (usually 3x). But with such a superb optical zoom lens, unless you want/need the additional manual functions, better movie mode, or just want to carry around a bigger camera, there's really no need to get an FZ10 over an FZ1. $200 more is not a lot to pay for those functions if you need them, but if you don't, that's a significant chunk of money that you can save and still get great pictures.

FYI, Panasonic probably will offer the firmware upgrade for the FZ1 in the US, which will give you most of the typical manual functions (unfortunately not manual focus). So that's something to think about when considering whether or not you would outgrow the automatic modes on the FZ1.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote