Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:58 PM   #1

Default Nature Hike today with LT-55

The LT-55 Zoom strikes again I would never have gotten these shot without it...love it...just have to drink less coffee!...all off Monopod...this is a Double Crested Comorant a member of the Pelican family...

Last edited by LTZ470; Mar 30, 2010 at 9:56 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:59 PM   #2

Monday rush hour pile up...
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:01 PM   #3

Now where did he go?...

I know he's around here somewhere?...
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:04 PM   #4

A couple more guys just hanging around the wetlands...

Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:12 PM   #5

I got the LT-55 today and I need to pick your brain. I've only taken a few but many seem blurred and out of focus. I've been using the P mode but I can't seem to come up with consistent shots. I am hand holding all of these. I read carefully the other post where Chillgreg recommended some settings. Is a monopod or tripod they key?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:03 AM   #6

Oh so you took you camera to the zoo and are trying to fool us to thinking these were actually taken in the wild. Not a chance.

Excellent shots!!!!

The cormorant looks quite different than ours up here in New England. But I really have never seen a shot that close and clear hence the reason it looks different. Maybe they look different in captivity at the zoo.

Time for a polarizing filter for that I'm going to guess Grass Pickerel.

The LT-55 is amazing and a great investment. Keeps you from getting too close to those lions and Grizzlys. It could save your life.

I'm going to try and get a timberback rattle snake latter on as we have dens across the Connecticut River from me; but please realize that my buddy is a herpetologist http://expeditionnewengland.com/ and he can guide me near the dens safely and he has encountered them many times and the place is swarming with ticks (maybe more deadlier).

Actually, those pics have got my adrenalin pumping; I'm completely awed.

What monopod do you use?

Last edited by Chris0383; Apr 10, 2010 at 8:20 AM.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:14 AM   #7

Manfrotto Monopod for all these shots, It makes a great walking stick...no filter was used for the Gar Fish shot as the Sun was not glaring on the water there...you do need to be steady and do not use any higher of a zoom than you require for better pictures...I.E. sometimes you will find yourself at 3Mp utilizing the EZ zoom when 8Mp setting at max EZ zoom will work just as well at filling the EVF...take 3 deep breaths as in target shooting a gun and let the 3rd out all the way then shoot...Try ALL 3 OIS settings a few times and see which setting you get the most consistent shots with (it doesn't matter if it is Auto - Mode 1 or Mode 2) as long as you get consistently in focus shots...EVEN if on a Tripod or Monopod...I have found that Mode 1 gets consistent shots for me on Tripod and Monopod...Mode 2 for Handheld Shots

Fish:
http://frank.itlab.us/silverglen_200.../gar_fish1.jpg

Clint you will have to post your pic's and your settings (exif data) for anyone to be able to help you...

Monopod: cheap, but effective:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-679B...0909072&sr=1-3

These shots were taken at Heard Museum Wetlands Wildlife Sanctuary...it's a wooden boardwalk and when people are walking on it...it shakes so I did get some decent Monopod shots, but I will always take my tripod from now on...

Last edited by LTZ470; Apr 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM.