Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Redwing Blackbirds

The hardest subject I have tried to shoot...still not satisfied...any ideas? Black is a challenge to shoot and then add some reflection off the sun and whamo! 100's of shots with only a few that are still not good?!? I set the AWB to Sunny...I should have tried different White Balance?... Camera is changing the Black to gray in spots that are highlighted by the sun...WIND was howling again 40 MPH Gust so I took part of these with Auto Tracking as the limbs were swaying I was swaying the Bird was swaying and the camera was swaying on the heaviest Tripod Manfrotto makes! The FZ35 did an excellent job of stabilizing the images I was very surprised they weren't more OOF!!!

Cropped out of Paint Brush...

Last edited by LTZ470; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3

Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4

Seriously LT, if you chuck that first photo on Flickr without EXIF and ask people what camera/lens it was shot with I'll bet 100 bucks that at least 50% say a DSLR with huge lens. Take a step back and admire your work, you should be very proud of your own skills and of course those of the fab '35. I reckon only a few years ago these shots would have been impossible with anything but a $5000 DSLR setup.

I'll go out on a limb (heehee) and say that even the latest Fuji HS10 and Sony BSi magic trick YXZ whatever superzoom's wouldn't get better, and probably not even as good. I know my FZ-18 wouldn't have had a hope. Or my previous Nikon D70. Why don't you take your 7D next time and see if it can match the FZ35?

Look mum - no purple fringing. Focus and metering spot-on. The fact that this was taken under those harsh conditions with a cheap plastic three-hundred buck Panasonic P&S fixed-lens fingernail sensor camera is nothing short of a miracle.

Print and frame that first shot. I think it's like when a chef gets a bit blasť about food - you've been taking so many pics that you're looking too hard for flaws.

As a layman, when I saw that first shot in isolation, I thought (and still do) it was beautiful. Perhaps we don't need to see the work that went into it, just admire the results. I don't watch "making of movies", you know what I mean

Outstanding mate, just outstanding.

Greg

Last edited by chillgreg; Mar 31, 2010 at 11:10 PM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:23 AM   #5

Very well done, LTZ-

You can see that you were doing better and getting more "keepers" as you came to the end of the series. It looks like the FZ-35/38 performed quite well too.

A mostly black bird is difficult to shoot, as well. So you should feel very good about your series. It looks very good indeed.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:17 AM   #6

Thanks for the encouraging comments...If the wind had been calm they would have been in focus...North Texas the land of the wind! Yes the FZ35 and LT-55 did an awesome job...I bought another one to take back to work with me, should get some nice offshore shots while I am out there...