Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:30 PM   #1

Default First picture posted - Roadrunner

OK, so here is a crop (and resize) from an original.
The EXIF info from the original is as follows:
File Name P1000328.JPG
Camera Model Name DMC-FZ35
Shooting Date/Time 3/27/2010 8:45:06 AM
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/500
Av (Aperture Value) 4.4
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Image Size 4000x3000
Flash Off
Color Space sRGB
File Size 6861 KB
So - I already see something I am doing wrong (?) I shot in sports outdoor mode to get a fast shutter speed - thinking: "moving subject, need faster shutter". Of course, I pay in higher ISO - therefore less sharp.
This was taken with the TCON connected (so I lose some light sensitivity there, correct?) at a range of about 70 feet; tripod mounted. I was pretty pleased with the picture until I started looking around!!

Any advice, constructive criticism etc for a newbie much appreciated.
Attached Images

Woodbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:53 PM   #2

Not bad at all for a first post...good composiion and great shot...

Looks like you were back focusing slightly what Focus Point did you use? Tripod/Monopod? The eye looks OK but the rest looks slightly out of focus or the website is washing out the image...

Get into TV Mode for moving birds IF light is good 1/1000 to 1/1300 to stop ANY motion...if bird is resting or just flinching about 1/640 will probably do it...Aperure with the TCON 5-5.6 (It's like squinting your eyes to get a clearer picture of something)
Use Spot Focus and Spot Metering on Birds...AWB Auto White Balance...You will require a Monopod or Tripod with the TCON attached to get consistent in focus shots...

Ideal positon is your back to the sun and the sun on the bird to get the most detail from the bird...you need lotsa light for birds...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:56 PM   #3

Some scene modes use the "logic" algorithms dreamt up by Panasonic labcoat engineers. They often use too high an ISO for the situation. In this case the camera should have detected that the subject was stationary, and lowered the ISO. Personally I have found sports mode next to useless, and you will have a lot more fun and usually get better results if you use the "P" Program mode.

As a static subject, a shutter speed of 1/60 and ISO of 80 would be plenty; as a result significantly more detail would be captured. By using the "P" mode, you can take still rely on the camera to obtain the correct metering, but you can also use program-shift if necessary to change the aperture or shutter speed, and you can try increasing the sharpness, contrast and saturation which would make this type of photo "pop" as they say.

Nonetheless you have taken a great shot, well timed and framed, and with a bit of PP on your PC would make a nice print. Remember anything on a monitor will highlight/amplify shortcomings and look worse than a print.

Nice job and keep experimenting!
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:17 AM   #4

Very nice image. It shows that it was take with care. I don't see using the Sports Scene Mode as a big mistake at all. You tried it and now you know you could have done better and had had more control elsewhere. No big deal.

Its all about shooting and learning progressively.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:01 AM   #5

The best shot can be obtained by purchasing the Acme lens. It will freeze the subject. Then you can collect it and eat it. But you'll probably want more than one because one road runner is not very filling. You can always get the Acme flash attachment for more filling shots.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
The best shot can be obtained by purchasing the Acme lens. It will freeze the subject. Then you can collect it and eat it. But you'll probably want more than one because one road runner is not very filling. You can always get the Acme flash attachment for more filling shots.
Beep...Beep!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote