Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:40 AM   #31

You poor bugger, I hate it when the simple things don't work!

Next can you try it on another HDTV? Even one at the shops will do. Faulty HDMI cables are not unheard of, or it could be an old HDMI 1.2 cable, when the current standard is 1.3. My cheapy cable off eBay worked 1st time on a 2 year old el cheapo Chinese 20" LCD TV first go...Best if you can get to an electronics store where they have cables and TV's to test with your own camera, to isolate where the problem lies.
Good luck & report back soon!
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:10 AM   #32

Hey people what's up!

That's my first post here, and at first I would like to say that I'm impressed with such amount of data regarding cameras and these polite people, willing to help each other. That's so freaking nice!

Well, I'm almost buying an FZ35 for $340usd, but before that I'm collecting as much information as possible.

I would like to know which adapters are really worth getting, and if there is something that might make the angle wider, such as a 35mm adapter or something like that which could enhance the capturing area.
Are these filters worth buying? Do they prevent that purple lines to show up when direct sunlight reach the lens?
Does someone recommend any specific accessory for taking static photos with bracketing to merge in HDR?

Well, since now, thank you people!
R.Paes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
You poor bugger, I hate it when the simple things don't work!

Next can you try it on another HDTV? Even one at the shops will do. Faulty HDMI cables are not unheard of, or it could be an old HDMI 1.2 cable, when the current standard is 1.3. My cheapy cable off eBay worked 1st time on a 2 year old el cheapo Chinese 20" LCD TV first go...Best if you can get to an electronics store where they have cables and TV's to test with your own camera, to isolate where the problem lies.
Good luck & report back soon!
Greg
I have an old TV in storage, with HDMI, guess I dig that out and try

I got that Duratool Aluminum Case in today, here are a few images
of that and also the Nikon TC-E15ED

Panasonic DMC-FZ35 Camera Accessories
will1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:57 PM   #34

Do you need to handcuff that case to your wrist hahaheehee
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Do you need to handcuff that case to your wrist hahaheehee
It might seam a little overblown to use a hard case, but with as much as
I have spent, I want to protect it, I also plan on getting a holster type
camera bag, but something small and light, and a lens Belt Pouch
for the TC-E15ED
will1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelli View Post
Check out the reviews on the item page, all very good. Monoprice has very good stuff and I have used them before. But I will let you you know how well it works when I get my Camera and cable.

The cable just came and I tried it out using an adapter (hdmi to DVI) to my older 50" HD rear projection TV and it works great. The cable is very thick and very well built. Well worth the $7.65 !!!!!
joekelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelli View Post
The cable just came and I tried it out using an adapter (hdmi to DVI) to my older 50" HD rear projection TV and it works great. The cable is very thick and very well built. Well worth the $7.65 !!!!!
Nice one. It's good to have a win every now and again!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Paes View Post
Hey people what's up!

That's my first post here, and at first I would like to say that I'm impressed with such amount of data regarding cameras and these polite people, willing to help each other. That's so freaking nice!

Well, I'm almost buying an FZ35 for $340usd, but before that I'm collecting as much information as possible.

I would like to know which adapters are really worth getting, and if there is something that might make the angle wider, such as a 35mm adapter or something like that which could enhance the capturing area.
Are these filters worth buying? Do they prevent that purple lines to show up when direct sunlight reach the lens?
Does someone recommend any specific accessory for taking static photos with bracketing to merge in HDR?

Well, since now, thank you people!
I'll take a shot and give you my opinions on the questions you ask,......My suggestion is to not buy any adapters until you've used the camera and see it's capabilities. I don't think you'll feel the need for either wider or for more zoom. It's a pretty complete package as delivered.

I use only a multi coated UV filter and that only for protection since I'm in the woods some of the time and don't want the lens scratched. I don't think any filter will eliminate the purple lines you mention. I think that's caused by shooting toward the light and can't be cured with any sort of add on.

You are going to love your camera. Let us know your impressions.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:28 PM   #39

Thanks for the info, Jack!

Yeah, the zoom is truly good but while shooting landscapes you want it the widest angle you can get, and the built in lens capturing area seems to be smaller than 35mm, that's why I would appreciate a 35mm adapter. But as it applies only for this kind of subject, it is not really my main concern.

I have some research to do before I make my final choice, so I plan to spend more a couple days searching for the best match, but I will probably not find a better choice at this price range ($340usd).
All other competing cameras such as the HX1, SX20 and SX1 here are priced nearly entry level DSLRs, which hold much more quality than superzoom cameras, so I'm kind of trying to figure out what it will be...an entry level DSLR with kit lenses, no zoom/video or a FZ35 with all those features and less quality.

I'm only considering DSLRs because the quality is really outstanding, and the image sensor is way bigger than any superzoom camera, but the lack of video and zoom (with kit 18~55 lenses) make find the FZ35 a more appealing choice.

Does anyone here have a Flickr with some real life examples of the FZ35?
I found a couple pics around the web, but I would like to see some really unbiased stuff.

Last edited by R.Paes; Apr 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM.
R.Paes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
I don't think any filter will eliminate the purple lines you mention. I think that's caused by shooting toward the light and can't be cured with any sort of add on.
@Jack,
you should watch this video:
http://www.vimeo.com/7091455
It shows very impressively that a grey filter (LND-Filter) very effectively counteracts any glare and purple lines when shooting towards a light source.
I found this grey filter the most useful accessory for the FZ35. I put it on whenever there is intense sunshine.

@R.Paes,
I am still pondering whether I should change from an FZ35 to a DSLR (the Canon 550D, T2i would be a great choice - with its great video ability). When one compares test pictures of the FZ35 and the Canon on different internet pages the Canon looks of course much more impressive. However, when one leaves the zoom function on a computer screen and goes on to print the pictures in a normal format (and even at larger sizes) the picture quality of the FZ35 is absolutely sufficient to get outstanding and very impressive results. In cases with increased noise due to low light conditions I run the pictures I would like to print through a denoise programme (DenoiseMyImage), which results in absolutely satisfying pictures.
I think at the end of the day the FZ35 with its low weight and broad range of photo and video abilities may indeed be the preferred solution for me (compared to getting a DSLR). The better picture quality noticable at the PC doesn't seem to justify spending about three to four times more for the Canon 550D compared to the FZ35.
So for the moment I will stay with the FZ35 and enjoy the camera tremendously. Maybe one day when I get rich I will reconsider the 550D....

Regarding 'unbiased' pictures - I think you get a good overview here in the forum because people at different experience levels present their results here - most often without a lot of editing in post. I think that gives one a good impression of the quality of the FZ35. It wouldn't make any sense to post the 400 or so pictures that one takes during a day unselectively - what would you conclude from this?

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Last edited by Joho; Apr 18, 2010 at 2:19 AM.
Joho is offline   Reply With Quote