Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:51 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho View Post
@Jack,
you should watch this video:
http://www.vimeo.com/7091455
It shows very impressively that a grey filter (LND-Filter) very effectively counteracts any glare and purple lines when shooting towards a light source.
Looks like I need another filter

Quote:
Maybe one day when I get rich I will reconsider the 550D....
Yea I would like to have a DSLR, but they are a little out of my price
range
will1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:45 PM   #42

Quote:
@Jack,
It shows very impressively that a grey filter (LND-Filter) very effectively counteracts any glare and purple lines when shooting towards a light source.
I found this grey filter the most useful accessory for the FZ35. I put it on whenever there is intense sunshine.

@R.Paes,
I am still pondering whether I should change from an FZ35 to a DSLR (the Canon 550D, T2i would be a great choice - with its great video ability). When one compares test pictures of the FZ35 and the Canon on different internet pages the Canon looks of course much more impressive. However, when one leaves the zoom function on a computer screen and goes on to print the pictures in a normal format (and even at larger sizes) the picture quality of the FZ35 is absolutely sufficient to get outstanding and very impressive results. In cases with increased noise due to low light conditions I run the pictures I would like to print through a denoise programme (DenoiseMyImage), which results in absolutely satisfying pictures.
I think at the end of the day the FZ35 with its low weight and broad range of photo and video abilities may indeed be the preferred solution for me (compared to getting a DSLR). The better picture quality noticable at the PC doesn't seem to justify spending about three to four times more for the Canon 550D compared to the FZ35.
So for the moment I will stay with the FZ35 and enjoy the camera tremendously. Maybe one day when I get rich I will reconsider the 550D....

Regarding 'unbiased' pictures - I think you get a good overview here in the forum because people at different experience levels present their results here - most often without a lot of editing in post. I think that gives one a good impression of the quality of the FZ35. It wouldn't make any sense to post the 400 or so pictures that one takes during a day unselectively - what would you conclude from this?

Whoa, thanks for the feedback, Joho...well, that was the accessory I was wondering if existed or not. Smearing is a terrible defect on pictures and movies, and I'm glad there is a way to correct it.
If I get the FZ35 I'll check out that gray filter for sure.

Well, the 550D is a far away dream for me also...after watching a couple clips on Vimeo, including the most astonishing ones from Patzay, I got really frustrated by the fact that the cam costs up to 3 times the price of a FZ35, and there is no effort enough I could do to get it right now.
My friend has a professional studio, and he used a professional DV cam...he bought a 550D and is selling his professional DV because the 550D wrecks, pillage, destroy and step over almost any cam below $10kusd. Its video has the same quality and resolution of a Canon 7D, but yet costs much less.

What impresses me more is that professionals are actually migrating and embracing this stuff, leaving expensive camcorders behind:
http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

Well...at the end of it, I will probably get the FZ35 in a couple weeks.

PS. I didn't notice that there were lots of test pics and other stuff posted by uesrs here. Indeed, I found many of what I was searching for.
What I meant by unbiased is that either with digital processing or a very experienced user can make any equipment look like professional or
better than it really is, but I can see that the quality of this cam is really good "out of the box". I'm still reading reviews but my doubts are
kind of vanishing.

Last edited by R.Paes; Apr 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM.
R.Paes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:09 PM   #43

I got the the "Lowepro TopLoad Zoom 1", thinking it was a little
smaller than it is, its bigger than I wanted, I had wanted a holster
style, that was just big enough for the camera, the "Lowepro
TopLoad Zoom 1" easily double that, so I am still looking
for a case,

I also plan on getting a Lens Case, and carrying the TC-E15ED
Teleconverter separately, on my belt.

I got the "Lowepro Filter Pocket", I like it a lot, I plan on getting another.

I got the "Delkin Pop-up Shade 2.7"/2.8" " and its working well.

I got the "Opteka Pro Camera Grip Strap OPT-GS" and I dont like
it very much, it does work, but I had to reverse the bottom part, and
its not very comfortable, I will use it, but I want something better

I put up some more images at my Picasa Web Album

Panasonic DMC-FZ35 Camera Accessories
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:45 AM   #44

Quote:
@Jack,
I found this grey filter the most useful accessory for the FZ35. I put it on whenever there is intense sunshine.

@R.Paes,
I am still pondering whether I should change from an FZ35 to a DSLR (the Canon 550D, T2i would be a great choice - with its great video ability). When one compares test pictures of the FZ35 and the Canon on different internet pages the Canon looks of course much more impressive. However, when one leaves the zoom function on a computer screen and goes on to print the pictures in a normal format (and even at larger sizes) the picture quality of the FZ35 is absolutely sufficient to get outstanding and very impressive results. In cases with increased noise due to low light conditions I run the pictures I would like to print through a denoise programme (DenoiseMyImage), which results in absolutely satisfying pictures.
I think at the end of the day the FZ35 with its low weight and broad range of photo and video abilities may indeed be the preferred solution for me (compared to getting a DSLR). The better picture quality noticable at the PC doesn't seem to justify spending about three to four times more for the Canon 550D compared to the FZ35.
So for the moment I will stay with the FZ35 and enjoy the camera tremendously. Maybe one day when I get rich I will reconsider the 550D....

Regarding 'unbiased' pictures - I think you get a good overview here in the forum because people at different experience levels present their results here - most often without a lot of editing in post. I think that gives one a good impression of the quality of the FZ35. It wouldn't make any sense to post the 400 or so pictures that one takes during a day unselectively - what would you conclude from this?
Just wanted to ask you Joho what grey filter [LND-Filter] fits FZ35 & from where did you get it???
Thanks a lot.
NileLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:24 PM   #45

Hi NileLily,

I bought the Panasonic DMW-LND46 grey filter - you can find it at leading online shops worldwide.
I guess other brands would also be ok as long as the filter is 46 mm in diameter - that will fit onto the FZ35.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Hi NileLily,

I bought the Panasonic DMW-LND46 grey filter - you can find it at leading online shops worldwide.
I guess other brands would also be ok as long as the filter is 46 mm in diameter - that will fit onto the FZ35.
Thank you Joho.
NileLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:54 PM   #47

I ended up getting a Lowepro Rezo TLZ 10" camera bag, it fits the
DMC-FZ35 perfectly, there is just enough room in its front pocket,
for one filter in its case, or an extra battery, but not both, and
a "Lowepro Lens Case LC 1" for the Nikon TC-E15ED.

I got a "OP/TECH SLR Wrist Strap" and it works a lot better for
me than the "Opteka Pro Camera Grip Strap OPT-GS" ever did.

And I also got a cleaning kit, it has

Giotto's Rocket Air Blower
Lenspen
Lens cleaning cloth
Microfiber cleaning cloth
Lens Cleaning fluid
Q-Tips

I put some more pictures up at

Panasonic DMC-FZ35 Camera Accessories