Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:50 PM   #11

I bought a 3 pack of el cheapos off of eBay, one of them didn't work, I ruined the 2nd one trying to get it on without air bubbles, but the 3rd one went on without a problem!
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1384 View Post
I need one for my DMC-FZ35, but I always have a problem with dust,
and this sort of thing, PDAs and other gear, no mater what I have done,
there is always dust on the screen, I clean it off and suddenly more
dust settles on the LCD, I tried the hot shower trick, were you leave
the shower running hoping it cleans the air, and have tried air filters,
Hepa and Ionic air purifiers, nothing works,
Well well Will will you find a solution? it sounds like the problem is dry air. Do you live in a region with very low humidity? Dry air causes a static electricity build-up very quickly. 2 quick solutions off the top of my head (high school physics here ): Wear rubber-soled shoes, or "ground" yourself by touching an earthed metal round object round the house before you touch the camera, such as a tap or drainpipe. Walking on carpet puts much more static electricity in your body than a hard floor, which you then transfer to the camera when you pick it up. Then the camera has a positive charge in it, which attracts dust like a magnet. A bit like the old vinyl lp's remember the anti-static cloths we had to use? So clean your camera LCD with an anti static cloth, I think micro-fibre has this property, or go to a good music or hifi shop, they might still sell anti-0static cloths for the Vinyl holdouts

Or get one of those humififiers from the chemist/drugstore, used for asthmatics. They run for about 12 hours and keep the room from getting too dry. Just don't use them continuously or in a small room, or they can make the air too moist and can cause rust

Hepa filters make no real difference except in a sealed, small room. Better to get an air "de-ioniser" from Tandy/Radio Shack etc, as they pump out negative ions to counter the positive from the dry air, which reduces static electricity in the environment.

Look on ebay or google, and try to find an lcd protector that specifies anti-static in its description.

G'luck

Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Well well Will will you find a solution? it sounds like the problem is dry air. Do you live in a region with very low humidity? Dry air causes a static electricity build-up very quickly. 2 quick solutions off the top of my head (high school physics here ): Wear rubber-soled shoes, or "ground" yourself by touching an earthed metal round object round the house before you touch the camera, such as a tap or drainpipe. Walking on carpet puts much more static electricity in your body than a hard floor, which you then transfer to the camera when you pick it up. Then the camera has a positive charge in it, which attracts dust like a magnet. A bit like the old vinyl lp's remember the anti-static cloths we had to use? So clean your camera LCD with an anti static cloth, I think micro-fibre has this property, or go to a good music or hifi shop, they might still sell anti-0static cloths for the Vinyl holdouts

Or get one of those humififiers from the chemist/drugstore, used for asthmatics. They run for about 12 hours and keep the room from getting too dry. Just don't use them continuously or in a small room, or they can make the air too moist and can cause rust

Hepa filters make no real difference except in a sealed, small room. Better to get an air "de-ioniser" from Tandy/Radio Shack etc, as they pump out negative ions to counter the positive from the dry air, which reduces static electricity in the environment.

Look on ebay or google, and try to find an lcd protector that specifies anti-static in its description.

G'luck

Greg
Its like the exact opposite, I live in high humidity, have no carpet, my
room also has no windows, but I live down a dirt / gravel road, and
the soil is a fine silt, kinda like powdered sand, gets on, and in
everything, even though it rains a lot, is no real help
will1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Its like the exact opposite, I live in high humidity, have no carpet, my
room also has no windows, but I live down a dirt / gravel road, and
the soil is a fine silt, kinda like powdered sand, gets on, and in
everything, even though it rains a lot, is no real help
Ah, bummer. My parents live opposite a train line, and have the same problem, fine dust all the time. Not much you can do unless you hermetically seal the place and install a whopping air con.

Just a thought: do yuo have water restrictions where you live, or perhaps access to a well or spring?
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Ah, bummer. My parents live opposite a train line, and have the same problem, fine dust all the time. Not much you can do unless you hermetically seal the place and install a whopping air con.

Just a thought: do yuo have water restrictions where you live, or perhaps access to a well or spring?
We have running water, but its nasty, fill a white 5 gallon bucket with
tap water, and its yellowish brown and smells like chlorine and dead
fish, and thats after 2 water filters, thats still better than when I was
a child, back then we had to go into town, to get water from the
town well, and wait in long lines to fill water containers, that was
in the early 1980s
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:57 PM   #16

Quote:
We have running water, but its nasty, fill a white 5 gallon bucket with
tap water, and its yellowish brown and smells like chlorine and dead
fish, and thats after 2 water filters, thats still better than when I was
a child, back then we had to go into town, to get water from the
town well, and wait in long lines to fill water containers, that was
in the early 1980s
This story is getting hard to believe,......but then, maybe I'm just cynical. It's starting to sound like Will is a neighbor of Barack O'Bamas half brother.....

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
This story is getting hard to believe,
I am guessing you have never been to Arkansas, USA

We still had a party phone line well into the early 1990s, and
no high speed internet until about 2007, and most of my
friends still dont have high speed internet, no natural gas
service, and power likes to go out all the time, oh and
the roads are pretty crappy to

But living in a low tech rural area does make for some good
nature shots
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:39 PM   #18

Hi Will,

I'm bowing out of this discussion on the slim chance that all of this is on the level. I still think somebody is kidding somebody, though.

Yes, I have been to Arkansas, USA.

Be careful drinking that water and enjoy your camera.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:47 AM   #19

Back on topic,lol. I use a Delkin pop up shade screen protector. I'll admit at first I didn't really like it, it took some getting use to, but after about a week of using it, I absolutely love it.

It has a seperate glass screen the same size as the factory lcd screen that is held in place over the lcd with self adhesive tape, THEN the pop up shade can be taken off and you don't even have to use the pop up shade, although I found that leaving the pop up shade DOWN and using the view finder keeps all the smudges and smears from your skin OFF the camera itself and on the plastic pop up shade (not the glass screen) and can be wiped off easily and the camera stays clean. Using the pop up shade is very beneficial in bright sunlight as it blocks the glare from the lcd screen.

Here is a pic of a new one still in the package, it's kinda hard to take a pic of it on the camera,lol. It was only about $12.00 bucks off of ebay.

Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:43 AM   #20

I am intrigued by the popup shade. I have the FZ38/35. Does the popup sit on the surface of the screen or around the edge of the screen maximizing screen area?
tc80tc80 is offline   Reply With Quote