Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc80tc80 View Post
I am intrigued by the popup shade. I have the FZ38/35. Does the popup sit on the surface of the screen or around the edge of the screen maximizing screen area?
It sits around the edge of the glass protector that goes on over the lcd screen so you have the maximum view of the lcd screen. I will take the new one out the package tonight and take pics of it taken apart. It is a two piece kit. It has it's own seperate glass screen protector that goes on first, then the pop up shade slides on and off of the protective glass screen via two notches at the top and bottom of the glass protector. Even IF you happen to somehow scratch the glass protector, you could simply just take it off, throw it away and your lcd screen will be untouched.
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:37 AM   #22

I have one of these on order as I have a lot of difficulty using the EVF, due to wearing progressive focus spectacles, and the fact that the diopter adjustment, although nice, does not seem to stay locked in place.
I'll let you know how that works out - Amazon says it should be here in a couple of days..
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:39 AM   #23

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. The Delkin looks very interesting to me. My main interest is protection since outside I normally use the EVF. Hopefully these don't add much weight to the FZ35.

I wonder if they reduce the advantage of the FZ35 LCD that truly is wide angle and easy to view from beside, below, above etc.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. The Delkin looks very interesting to me. My main interest is protection since outside I normally use the EVF. Hopefully these don't add much weight to the FZ35.

I wonder if they reduce the advantage of the FZ35 LCD that truly is wide angle and easy to view from beside, below, above etc.
Setter, If your main concern is protection since you normally use the view finder, you will absolutely love the Delkin. When the pop up scren is ON, you don't even see the lcd screen and have no way possible to scratch it as it is completely covered by TWO protectors, the glass screen from the Delkin AND the pop up shade can be left down for extra protetion.

I took some more pics of it taken apart and I also took some weight measurements for you.

Here are both pieces to the Delkin, the glass protector that goes over the lcd screen and the pop up shade. Once the glass scren is affixed to the camera it stays there permanently, offering excellent protection all by itself. Here are two pics, one with the shade closed and one with the shade opened up. Notice the 4 notches at each corner of the glass piece, that is how the pop up shade is held and locked into place, it slides off in about 1/2 second. BOTH pieces when put together weigh a mere 13.5 grams, less than 1 ounce.

Here are two pics of the glass screen protector that goes on the camera first, held on by self adhesive tape that already comes on the back side, just peel and sick, see the second pic below for the back side view. This piece alone weighs just 4.5 grams.

Back side with the self adhesive tape, just peel and stick to the camera and this piece stays on permanently.

Here is a pic of just the pop up shade all by itself, this is the piece that slides on and off the glass protector or it can just be popped up to reduce glare from outside. Just the pop up shade alone weighs 9.0 grams by itself.

I also use the view finder ALOT, so I find that leaving the pop up shade on AND down, when the camera is pressed up against my face, all the dirt and oils from your skin never even touch the camera since your face is pressed against the pop up shade itself, so the camera very rarely gets dirty and needs wiping off, and the pop up shade is just plastic and can slide off and easily be wiped off.

Again, it took me about a week to get use to it, but I liked it so much, I bought a spare, that's why I still have one in the package, they are cheap enough that I bought it just as a spare. I hope this helps somebody, if you have any "specific" questions, I'll answer the best I can.

Last edited by Dirtbmw20; Apr 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:20 AM   #25

Can the sunshade be easily detached and reattached for when storing in a small camera bag ?
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:38 AM   #26

That looks pretty good. I think I may get one.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0383 View Post
Can the sunshade be easily detached and reattached for when storing in a small camera bag ?
I don't know why you would want to take the sunshade completely off when storing it since the sunshade folds down and sits flush with the camera when folded down and closed, but to give you a simple answer to your question, YES, as stated right above my first pic, it can be taken on and off in about 1/2 second, it doesn't get much easier than that,lol.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:02 AM   #28

Hi Dirt,

It was really nice of you to go into such detail on this Delkin thingy. And the pictures, great.....your enthusiasm for the gadget comes through clearly.

I've never been much for "add ons" to anything. Extra lenses etc just don't do it for me. I noticed in the quail hunting fields that I am distracted knowing that my screen is being scraped by various buckles etc on my shooting vest. I scratched up my FZ28 screen pretty badly and think I should take better care of the FZ35,.......especially since I find myself worrying about it when I should be concentrating on the dogs! I keep putting it in and out of the little neoprene pouch, causing me to miss some good picture opportunities.

This looks like the answer for me. Thanks very much! I appreciate your trouble.

I'm ordering one today.

Jack
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:13 PM   #29

Thanks Dirt

Time to order one myself.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:54 PM   #30

I bought one of the Delkins from Amazon and installed it on my FZ35. There is no doubt that it will protect the LCD. It also seems to make the camera more "complete". I like it and used my LCD outdoors at a kids ball game yesterday. It's one of the few times I've used the LCD outdoors. It wasn't that sunny but I found that the Delkin did not deteriorate the LCD image at all. This is one gadget that lives up to the hype.

The Delkin weighs next to nothing but is built very well. I'm pleased. Thanks again to those that recommended this nice product.

Jack