Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:36 AM   #11

I would think so. It would probably over expose the sky and bring out more detail in the bird. That's where it's nice to be able to take several shots with different settings. But sometimes you just get that "one shot".
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
I think this one would need spot metering...
That insect has a song named after it: "....was an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka-dot......"
(Some of you will actually be old enough to remember that song too
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:48 AM   #13

Yes and the Purple People Eater
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:32 AM   #14

Chris-

In the back lighted bird in the tree situation, I would give spot metering a try, but I would not expect miracles because it will be affected by the surrounding light as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Spot metering is generally too wide an area for a bird, so usually dialing in some +ve exposure compensation can fix it when using evaluative/multi.... generally 2/3 stop is a good choice but depends on the situation. Personally I would be using M in such situations assuming you've gone out with the intention of shooting BIFs.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Spot metering is generally too wide an area for a bird, so usually dialing in some +ve exposure compensation can fix it when using evaluative/multi.... generally 2/3 stop is a good choice but depends on the situation. Personally I would be using M in such situations assuming you've gone out with the intention of shooting BIFs.
Yes, I agree. I used spot metering in the pictures in this thread, and still had to use 2/3 stop exposure compensation.
Woodbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:36 PM   #17

'scuse dum dum here, but what the hell ate BIF's??? I hate it when ppl use bloody acronyms without explanation???

NSFW ROFL LOL LMAO GAGF
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:44 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
what the hell ate BIF's???
Possibly bigger BIF's ate the BIF's LOL, but as to what they ARE then this is a general term for Birds In Flight
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:31 PM   #19

I like to use spot focus from time to time, I found this useful years ago trying to get pictures of animals in forests of Yellowstone Park.......I wonder what the problem would be using it all the time?

Anyway, at my shooting preserve the other day, I thought I changed to spot focus,....wrong......I changed to spot metering and really screwed up several photos. Lucky for me, most of my "important" photos were video and burst shots which are apparently defaulted to area metering. The symbols for spot metering and spot focus are similar.

I can't see any use for spot metering, personally.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:10 PM   #20

Jack-

Spot metering has few uses. Spot focus gets the sharper photo and I use it on the FZ-35/38 all the time. Its a great boost on focusing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote