Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:39 AM   #11

@EffZeeOne

ok, firstly a TCON17 is a 1.7x magnifier, I have looked at your images of the windows and this appears to be exactly what you are getting.

The 2nd image shows a window of about 28x42 pixels, this is a total area of just about 1200.

The 3rd image shows a windows of about 36x56 pixels, a total area of about 2000.

An optical magnification is measured in magnification of area, not length.

1200 * 1.7 = 2040

So you can see from this what you are actually seeing is perfectly correct, when applied the 1.7x magnification is increasing the area by 1.7x.

Digital zoom on the other hand magnifies by length, which you can see from your 4th image. This image is about 57x87 pixels, approximately double the dimensions of the 2nd, and therefore 4x the area.

To achieve the same (magnification) results as a 2x digital zoom you would require 4x optical magnification
btbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by "btbeeston
To achieve the same (magnification) results as a 2x digital zoom you would require 4x optical magnification
Well, heck, that makes things just about as clear as mud when it comes to amateur or consumer level photographers trying to figure out what these zoom figures are all about. I guess it all boils down to just not worrying about what the actual figure is, and just put the teleconverter on when you need to get closer.

Nothing like an "exact science", eh? I think I'll stick to 35mm equiv. scales.

Thanks for the response.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
Well, heck, that makes things just about as clear as mud when it comes to amateur or consumer level photographers trying to figure out what these zoom figures are all about. I guess it all boils down to just not worrying about what the actual figure is, and just put the teleconverter on when you need to get closer.

Nothing like an "exact science", eh? I think I'll stick to 35mm equiv. scales.

Thanks for the response.
Yeah I agree, it confused me for a long time, I hope my explination helped things and didnt just confuse them more. You should be able to tell from the maths I did what is going on and why you would get different results from a 2x teleconverter and a 2x digital zoom.
btbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote