Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:29 AM   #1

Default New FZ this year?

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting in this forum, & I have a bit of an odd request.

I have been happily using an FZ5 for a number of years, but am now thinking of upgrading. I have come very close to buying an FZ35/38, but have been blown away by the spec of the new Fuji HS10.
I know panasonic tend to release new FZs around September time, & wondered if anyone with their ear to the ground knew if they were likely to to update the FZ35/38 with something with a longer zoom?
I am a confirmed Panny fan, but the lure of a 30x zoom & some of the extra bells & whisltles on the Fuji is very strong. However I wouldn't want to buy the Fuji, only to find in a few months Pannasonic have brought out something comparable.

Thanks
Robbob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:16 AM   #2

All hail the FZ5! I'm now in the market too, as the sensor on mine is on its way out. (It color shifts during extended use.)

I'm torn between the FZ35 and one of the new m4/3 SLRs w/ a superZoom. (i.e. the GH1)

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:52 PM   #3

In my opinion, comparing the Fuji HS10 to the FZ35 is like comparing an SUV to a Porsche. The Pany is lighter and handier by a long shot. If weight and handling don't mean anything to you, I'm sure the Fuji, Canon, Sony etc are all pretty good choices.

Once you handle the FZ35 in a store, you will be hooked. It's a fun camera with a load of features.

My hope is that the new model keeps the same lens and handling qualities that so many FZ owners value. We should know around July or so,.....

Last edited by Setter Dog; Apr 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:13 PM   #4

Jack-

If Panasonic adheres to their introduction schedule, we should see a replacement for the current FZ-35 sometime this summer. Keeping in mind what Fuji has done with the HS-10, I do not believe that it is inconceivable that the replacement for the FZ-35 might use a CMOS imager.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Jack-

If Panasonic adheres to their introduction schedule, we should see a replacement for the current FZ-35 sometime this summer. Keeping in mind what Fuji has done with the HS-10, I do not believe that it is inconceivable that the replacement for the FZ-35 might use a CMOS imager.

Sarah Joyce
I'm betting you're right about the CMOS sensor. Fuji, Nikon and Sony are all using it in their superzooms. I just hope Pany holds the line on handling and weight. I'm looking forward to it. There are some great innovations coming along.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:43 PM   #6

Default Sory to disapoint...

Nope. There won't be a BSI sensor CMOS in an FZ35 update. Panasonic has just invested a zillion yen in their own new sensor manufacturing plant in Japan. Panasonic buying a sensor off Sony is as likely would be likely as Barack Obama putting on John McCain as Chief of Staff...hence the TZ10/ZS7's recent update without BSI CMOS.

I believe the FZ45/48 update will only be an incremental update. Probably with the same "improvements" the TZ10 brought over the TZ7.

However a FS10 comptetitor/FZ60 is likely later this year, once their new sensor technology comes on-line.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote