Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:47 AM   #1

Default White Balance

I have had my FZ35 since November and really like it. However, I have had several recent problems with white balance.
I attended a robotic competition indoors with several different lighting conditions.
Photo 1 is entering the arena, camera set on AWB:

Photo 2 is under regular arena lighting, set on halogen. The shirts are supposed to be purple.

Photo 3 is back on AWB, lighting is event lighting ie light bars hanging over the contest field:

I am wondering if I should leave the WB alone and concentrate on other settings? We are competing in the International contest in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta and I want to take better pictures.
Any help will be appreciated.
mtsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:36 AM   #2

This is Panasonic's #1 problem area - poor white balance and color casting. Use manual white balance or try to fix it in post-processing. That's the best you can do.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:17 AM   #3

Are there instructions or guidance when these issues occur?

Forgive my asking but the documentation and camera functions are quite extensive and time consuming to read. At some point, a FZ35 user will encounter an issue as such and ask for specific direction so as not to have to shuffle through the documentation over and over as a lot of time has already been spent. A google for this brought up quite a few links.

Is there a heading: For When Your Colors Don't Appear Proper

One of my cameras, a SeaLife, required a Pure White Calibration Card to set the proper white balance and had specific instructions.

I am sure this camera is above my experience level and has a steep learning curve; but for the price, I don't think I would want anything different.

Last edited by Chris0383; Apr 9, 2010 at 8:38 AM.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:41 AM   #4

Have you tried using the flash for fill?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:03 AM   #5

Pages 133-135 of your user manual contain very clear and easy-to-understand instructions on white balance.

I suggest setting the WB manually using the white/grey card method, then storing the result in one of the 2 custom WB slots.

In addition, setting the camera to take a JPEG+RAW will also allow very precise WB adjustments to be made on your PC later should the need arise.

Cheers
Greg

Last edited by chillgreg; Apr 20, 2010 at 4:53 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:12 PM   #6

Thanks Chill

Now to find a nice pure white card to pack in my camera bag that wont fade.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Five-O your generalisation is nonsense
Actually it is not. I could tell you to simply review the thousands of images with color casts/WB issues from Panasonic P&S cameras using AWB or WB scene presets on the net and see for yourself. However, many people are not able to see it unless provided side-by-side comparisons (rather I think they don't want to see it). It would be easier to just go ahead and review the colors charts for virtually any P&S Panasonic of your choosing at review sites that offer them, such as Imaging Resource and see that the colors are off. I don't know if this problem exists on their DSLRs or not as I have not used one nor have I done any research on them.

p.s. I am not referring to "multiple artificial light sources". Panasonic P&S cams AWB/presets have this issue outdoors on a clear sunny day as well. i.e. An image shot on the ocean where the blue ocean + blue sky has caused the entire boat to turn blue. There is an entire thread full of examples at dpreview but my intent is not to argue with you but rather to inform others. Panasonic still makes great P&S cameras but it is an issue to be aware of. Panasonic should just pack a white card with every camera.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:03 AM   #8

Default White Balance

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I do like this camera and realize it is my ignorance that has caused these results. I will try these suggestions while at the competition.
mtsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:59 AM   #9

Folks, FiveO is right on the money-

Panasonic has worked to improve their WB, but over the entire history of the FZ series, WB has seemed to be a weak spot. That is how I got quick at making corrections in PSE (Photoshop Elements) to the WB that was just a tiny bit off.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Folks, FiveO is right on the money-

Panasonic has worked to improve their WB, but over the entire history of the FZ series, WB has seemed to be a weak spot. That is how I got quick at making corrections in PSE (Photoshop Elements) to the WB that was just a tiny bit off.

Sarah Joyce
Removed by chillgreg

Last edited by chillgreg; Apr 20, 2010 at 4:54 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote