Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Not fun - frustrated

This is not having fun - too many fuzzy, blurred pictures.
Take a look at my album
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...les-fuzzy.html

This is the type of picture I'm getting with the LT-55.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:42 AM   #2

What a bummer!

If it were me, I would try the same picture with 35X extended zoom and then the Lt-55, maybe several with each. If the camera does a better job without the LT-55, you obviously got a bad one or it simply isn't compatible with your camera on max zoom.

On your other shots, I thought maybe spot focus was the problem since the central subject seemed fine to me and everything else was blurred.

My guess is that one of the technical experts on this forum will come to the rescue, Clint

I agree, not fun.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:14 PM   #3

Clint and Jack-

Yes, on occasion you do get a defective LT-55. I would just return it if possible and begin afresh and determine if indeed the LT-55 was at fault.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:18 PM   #4

I'm beginning to wonder if I have a bad lens. I get one or two good shots but most are like what you see on the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
What a bummer!

If it were me, I would try the same picture with 35X extended zoom and then the Lt-55, maybe several with each. If the camera does a better job without the LT-55, you obviously got a bad one or it simply isn't compatible with your camera on max zoom.

On your other shots, I thought maybe spot focus was the problem since the central subject seemed fine to me and everything else was blurred.

My guess is that one of the technical experts on this forum will come to the rescue, Clint

I agree, not fun.

Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Super Moderator

clint.

i do not have exif reader on my netbook, so i can't check the exif data on these photos, which would be helpful. hopefully i get my real internet on monday.

one thing to keep in mind when you add an extra telephoto lens. you will increase your focal length, which will require faster shutter speeds to make a sharp picture, which may be part of the problem here.

i would run a test using a tripod. set it up and shoot something that is easy to judge sharpness like a parking sign or road sign or something. do a few tests with the camera completely steadied on the tripod (you may want to turn off the image stabilization for this) this will let you know if it is a defective lens, or just a problem with not having fast enough shutter speeds for the new longer focal lengths
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:45 PM   #6

Shutter speed was another question I had. That maybe the problem - most of the speeds are on the low side for a tele - 1/60 to 1/80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
clint.

i do not have exif reader on my netbook, so i can't check the exif data on these photos, which would be helpful. hopefully i get my real internet on monday.

one thing to keep in mind when you add an extra telephoto lens. you will increase your focal length, which will require faster shutter speeds to make a sharp picture, which may be part of the problem here.

i would run a test using a tripod. set it up and shoot something that is easy to judge sharpness like a parking sign or road sign or something. do a few tests with the camera completely steadied on the tripod (you may want to turn off the image stabilization for this) this will let you know if it is a defective lens, or just a problem with not having fast enough shutter speeds for the new longer focal lengths

Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Super Moderator

those are way, way too low, i am sure that is the problem. with the extender on there you are going to want more like 1/400+ on the tele end.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
those are way, way too low, i am sure that is the problem. with the extender on there you are going to want more like 1/400+ on the tele end.
Hards80 to the rescue! I'm betting he is dead bang on point and a faster shutter speed will make you smile again!

I went to school on this thread and will speed up my shutter when I use extended zoom in Yellowstone next month.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:08 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Shutter speed was another question I had. That maybe the problem - most of the speeds are on the low side for a tele - 1/60 to 1/80.
Yes, that's your primary problem. Your shutter speeds are *way* too slow as I'm seeing around 1/60 second being used for most of those images, at 35mm equivalent focal lengths of close to 1000mm.

Sorry, but even the best stabilization systems are not going to handle that, unless you've got a much better "trigger finger" than most people would have to reduce camera vibration.

You'll need to increase your ISO speed to get faster shutter speeds (you were using ISO 200) or use a tripod shooting in that lighting at focal lengths that long. Frankly, I'm impressed that they were not worse than they were at shutter speeds that slow with focal lengths that long, as you'd normally want to be using shutter speeds of around 1/1000 second to handle that much magnification without stabilization (as blur from camera shake is magnified as focal lengths get longer), and even with stabilization, you can only count on around 2 stops for consistently good images. IOW, you'd want to target around 1/250 second or faster to reduce blur from camera shake with a typical stabilization system.

But, even with a tripod, 1/60 second may still result in some blur if you have any vibration from depressing the shutter button, or if your subject isn't motionless, or if you have any tree limb movement from wind. Bottom line... you need to be using faster shutter speeds for better results shooting that type of subject (i.e., higher ISO speeds, brighter lighting, or brighter lens), and if you can't, make sure to use a tripod with a remote release of some type to reduce vibration from depressing the shutter button at focal lengths that long.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:11 PM   #10

No luck - I just tried setting up shutter speed with different ISO's from 100 to 1600.

Look here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...e-fuzzies.html