Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Lumix ZS5

Wondering if anyone has any sample pictures they have taken with this camera model? I would love to see them, as I am debating between this and the Sony Hx5. Thanks!
world_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:55 PM   #2

the zs5 have not arrived in the stores yet, when i looked last week
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:25 AM   #3

A best buy near me has them in stock - in store and online.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:29 AM   #4

It is very new, but I think it should be closer to the zs7 then the zs3 in imagine quality as they packed in more pixels as the zs7 and zs5 shear the same sensor. So I would expect similar results. It just does not have the bells and whistle of the zs7 with gps and bigger screen. 2.7 vs 3 inch.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:35 AM   #5
Super Moderator

from the samples i saw of the zs7, the increase in megapixels hurt the image quality, particularly at higher ISO compared to the ZS3. However, you do gain manual controls and some better video. If you shoot in good light, you would most likely be very happy.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by world_go View Post
Wondering if anyone has any sample pictures they have taken with this camera model? I would love to see them, as I am debating between this and the Sony Hx5. Thanks!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simousim/tags/zs5/
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:17 PM   #7

Default Indoor Image Quality on Small Panasonic Cameras

You ought to take good note of the fact that when you are looking for photo sample from the following cameras: ZS1, ZS3, ZS5, ZS7, ZR1, ZX2, and ZX3 you will almost always see outdoor photo samples, not indoor photo samples.

The reason for that is rather simple: those specific cameras have a very tiny and very weak built in flash. The built-in flash on the cameras is pretty much limited to a distance between camera and subject of no more than 6 feet. That is a very short distance for most folks, especially when they are photographing more than one person. The indoor image quality on the listed cameras is adversely deteriorated by that built-in flash.

The only work around is to add a supplementary accessory Slave Flash unit costing $15 to $20 to provide enough light to get even good indoor image quality. Attached is a photo sample showing how much a small, inexpensive Slave Flash can improve indoor image quality. The attached photo was taken with a ZR1 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 17, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
from the samples i saw of the zs7, the increase in megapixels hurt the image quality, particularly at higher ISO compared to the ZS3. However, you do gain manual controls and some better video. If you shoot in good light, you would most likely be very happy.
For 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 prints, would the decreased IQ of the zs5/zs7 models be noticable? or is this something one only needs to consider if they do large crops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
You ought to good note of the fact that when you are looking for photo sample from the following cameras: ZS1, ZS3, ZS5, ZS7, ZR1, ZX2, and ZX3 you will almost always see outdoor photo samples, not indoor photo samples.

The reason for that is rather simple: those specific cameras have a very tiny and very weak built in flash. The built-in flash on the cameras is pretty much limited to a distance between camera and subject of no more than 6 feet. That is a very short distance for most folks, especially when they are photographing more than one person. The indoor image quality on the listed cameras is adversely deteriorated by that built-in flash.

The only work around is to add a supplementary accessory Slave Flash unit costing $15 to $20 to provide enough light to get even good indoor image quality. Attached is a photo sample showing how much a small, inexpensive Slave Flash can improve indoor image quality. The attached photo was taken with a ZR1 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah Joyce, that's a good point to keep in mind about sample pics. I am upgrading from a 3 yr old Olympus Stylus (710). I can't imagine, the flash on the ZS series would be any worse. What do people think? I won't miss what I don't have I suppose...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:39 PM   #9

So the logical question has to be this: "What kind of Slave Flash are you talking about?"

Attached is a photo of the kind of inexpensive slave flash (Zeikos Brand, no model number) that I am discussing.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:27 PM   #10

Default Interested

I've resubmitted this specific post in the Flash (External) forum. sorry...frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
So the logical question has to be this: "What kind of Slave Flash are you talking about?"

Attached is a photo of the kind of inexpensive slave flash (Zeikos Brand, no model number) that I am discussing.

Sarah Joyce
I have seen you mention this inexpensive flash a lot. I don't believe it's sold in canada but i'll be in orlando next week so i'm going to pick it up (any recommended camera stores?). I have a couple little questions:
1. does it just work? or will my pics be over-exposed if the subject is close?
2. a similar point...do i need to set the aperture to something related to something else?
3. is there a tech review you could just point me at?
thanks for the help. i might buy 2 or 3 if they really work well.

Last edited by frank-in-toronto; Apr 16, 2010 at 4:34 PM. Reason: wrong forum.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote