Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:51 AM   #1

Default FZ38 indoor shots advice

I hope I'm not starting too many new threads here, but just looking for some advice.

I read and re-read everywhere that I should try to take pics indoors without using the flash...and I will get better shots.

So last night I tried, and I've attached 2 pics, one without flash and one with flash.

Obviously the flash pic looks much "brighter".

Pls any advice? Tips or hints as to how I can get good indoor shots under lighting, with or without the flash??
Attached Images

dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:39 AM   #2

the first pic is badly blurred and 2nd very bright. You can try increasing the ISO to get better low light shot without flash but the image quality will go down south.

For flash play with EV to get warm shot than the bright one. Reduce EV by 1/3 and see the difference.
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:52 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropmyload View Post
I hope I'm not starting too many new threads here, but just looking for some advice.

I read and re-read everywhere that I should try to take pics indoors without using the flash...and I will get better shots.

So last night I tried, and I've attached 2 pics, one without flash and one with flash.

Obviously the flash pic looks much "brighter".

Pls any advice? Tips or hints as to how I can get good indoor shots under lighting, with or without the flash??
Where did you read about not using flash indoors, this is totally not the right advice for most situations.

In your example you have 1/4s shutter speed and ISO400. You could bring the ISO to 1600 and this would give you 1/16s shutter speed which is still too short, not to mention that this is under exposed so a proper exposure is probably 1/8s and ISO 800. You need more light, that can either be flash or some other source but these are the only choices.

The 2nd is slightly over flashed but nothing major. I'm not familiar of the control you have with the camera to be able to dial it down or not but it's not terrible and can be sorted out with software.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:20 PM   #4

for indoor shots, and especially with kids in the shot, set dial to shutter priority and raise shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/160 or so. set ISO limit to 200. Face recognition on.
Set WB accordingly to the light source.
fz35pana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:59 PM   #5

And here I am with yet another opinion-

I have a great deal of hands-on experience with the entire FZ line since the first Panasonic camera that I purchased, the 2mp FZ-1. The Fz-28 and the Fz-35 camera represent the best steps forward in terms of high ISO performance.

The FZ-35/38 is capable of good photos at ISO 800. However, indoor photos are always best taken with flash. You can easily prevent flash over exposure by re-taking the photo and using the Flash Compensation feature to get a proper flash exposure.

I do a lot of Theater Photography and I use ISO 800 in the "P" for program mode when I need it without hesitation. And I am willing to not only just discuss the issue, but also to post photos to back up my statement.

These were taken with the FZ-28, before the FZ-35/38 was even introduced.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:09 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Theatre lighting where you can often get away without flash is a lot different to a home photography of the kids. Got any of the grankids kicking around that might help the OP and show using the flash compensation?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:11 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz35pana View Post
for indoor shots, and especially with kids in the shot, set dial to shutter priority and raise shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/160 or so. set ISO limit to 200. Face recognition on.
Set WB accordingly to the light source.
I guess you are also meaning use flash, but why the high shutter speed?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:39 AM   #8

Fz35pana, do I use those settings with flash or without?
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:02 AM   #9

You don't have to switch off flash to take pictures indoors. I only switch it off if I'm not happy with the flash shots or if I'm somewhere where I cant use flash or it would disturb people. And i dont use it where the flash range wouldnt go far enough. You can use fill in flash for more subtle flash and you can increase or decrease the flash power on thse cams

You need to hold the cam steady if you are in low light, I just use IA or programme mode. Also make sure Image stabilisation is on, I set it to 2 the highest setting.

You could also set it to auto iso
jalond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:37 AM   #10

2nd shot would be just fine , If youve reduced flash strenght.Thats what I do almost always when taking pictures of people/animals.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote