Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 2, 2003, 10:29 PM   #1

Default FZ-10 - Less than a week and broken already!

I bought a (long awaited!) FZ-10 at my local Ritz dealer last Friday. I've taken a number of pics and was really liking the camera. That is, until this evening when I turned it on and got a "System Error" message. I turned it off and on several times as suggested in the manual, but no go. The motor makes a stuttering sound and the lens does not extend.

I had noticed occasionally that when I tried to focus by pushing the shutter halfway down, the camera wouldn't always focus, even in bright light. The picture would come into focus, then go out again and lock in an unfocused state. I'm wondering now if that was an early indicator that there was something wrong with the lens?

I like the camera enough that I would like to exchange, not return it, but I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who has experienced problems with their camera already? If so, I'd love to hear about it. Does the image stabilization system make this camera more fragile than others? I have tried out an Olympus C-750 and really liked it (having previously owned a C-3040), but have been waiting for the Panasonic for the image stabilization feature. However, if quality is going to be a problem with the FZ-10, I may have to go with the Olympus...

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm bummed!

--Deborah
dgoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:34 AM   #2

Default Hmmm Don't know?

I just got mine in today and so far I love it. I've had and UZI for almost 3 years and I've never had any problems with the IS? Take the batteries out for 24 hours and try it again and if that don't work I don't know?
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 1:48 AM   #3

Default My FZ10's been fine for 8 days

No failures yet (knock wood). It often has trouble focusing, regardless of the lighting conditions, until/unless it finds enough of a constrast edge within the selected focusing area. I don't think that's what caused your problem. If Jimmie's suggestion doesn't work, call Panasonic and see whether they have any suggestions short of exchanging it.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 7:53 AM   #4

Ritz has a 10 day no penalty return policy. By all means, take it back and get another. That is the advantage of getting one at the store.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:02 AM   #5

Default Back to the store

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
Ritz has a 10 day no penalty return policy. By all means, take it back and get another. That is the advantage of getting one at the store.
Yes, that's what I plan to do. Right now I have it out here in CA with me on a business trip--great photo opps here on the beach and I'm missing them. I'll be heading to the store when I get home on Friday, though. I was thinking about just returning it and ordering another one on the internet since I can get it a little cheaper, but I think I'll stick with the store in case I have any more problems. It's not worth the headache of sending one back to save a few bucks.

Btw, for those of you who are concerned about the size of the camera, I must say it doesn't feel as heavy and bulky as I was anticipating from the specs.

I don't know how to post pics here, but I've been very happy with what I've gotten from the camera so far. Now if I can just get one that works... :roll:
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:22 PM   #6

Default I spoke too soon

Today my FZ10 locked up and would not power off. Removing the SD card solved the problem for the moment, and the camera seems OK. The whole sordid story is at DPReviews: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6840571
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:18 AM   #7

Default Re: I spoke too soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Howard
Today my FZ10 locked up and would not power off. Removing the SD card solved the problem for the moment, and the camera seems OK. The whole sordid story is at DPReviews: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6840571
I read your whole story on dpreview. Yikes. I'm not real thrilled that mechanical problems are popping up with this camera, especially since I really like the camera and what it can do. By the way, when mine started showing the "system error", I was still able to download the pictures on the card onto my laptop. I guess because that function doesn't involve extending the lens, which seems to be the malfunction.

My boyfriend is already trying to talk me into going with the Olympus C-750 because he thinks it's probably built much better, but I really like the ZF-10. I'm going to exchange it tomorrow (if they have more in stock!) and see how the next one does.

Please let us know if you have any more glitches with yours, Charlie.

--Deborah
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:02 PM   #8

Default Replacement update

Just thought I'd post a follow-up to my original post about the broken camera. I returned it to Ritz last Friday and they exchanged it with no questions. As a matter of fact, the girl who waited on me didn't even open the box and look at the broken one. Good thing I'm an honest person...I could've put anything in there. She just took it and handed me another one.

I did call in advance on Thursday since I was out of town and tell them I'd be coming in on Friday. I had to call 2 stores to find one in stock, and they agreed to hold it for me.

The new camera seems to be functioning fine so far....but so did the other one for several days, so we'll see. I really like the camera, am very happy with the features and pic quality, and am planning to keep it if no malfunctions appear. :P
Old Dec 8, 2003, 8:57 PM   #9

Good Luck with your replacement. For any small faults it might have it's a great camera. 12x zoom makes snapin' photos fun!
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote