Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1

Default Jumping in...new FZ35 arrived yesterday

Hello everyone.

Based upon many reviews and a lot of reading out of this forum, I have purchased the FZ35 and it arrived yesterday. It's my first attempt at using a "real" camera and frankly I have a TON to learn. I will keep reading and will post pictures as soon as I have any that are worthy.

My house backs up to a conservation area full of wildlife so I can't wait to figure things out.

Thanks for all the information you have already provided and I look forward to interacting with you all moving forward.
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2

Same here Cherokee we look forward to seeing some nice pics from the Orlando area. Just be careful in those swamps. The 18x zoom should help in getting us some alligator pictures.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Outlaw View Post

My house backs up to a conservation area full of wildlife so I can't wait to figure things out.
Lucky Guy - I am jealous!!!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:14 PM   #4

CherokeeOutlaw-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic Folder. We're glad you have a camera on the way and are joining our very active group of FZ-35 users here.

Please sit down and make yourself comfortable. An yes, please post some photos when you have a chance, as well.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 22, 2010 at 4:20 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:38 AM   #5

Very frustrated....I am trying to take pictures without resorting to IA but I can't get it. I've read the advnaced manual but I am still confused.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Are there some basic setups using the P mode that would at least get me pointed in the right direction?

Thanks!
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:04 AM   #6

I'm frustrated too. I'm having good days and bad days. Some days the thing just doesn't want to get the photos right. Taking pictures of clouds is my next challenge that's eluding me. I had a much easier time with my Canon SX110. If it wasn't for the higher zoom, I would have kept my Canon.

I try P mode; but in P mode, it wont let me adjust Aperture or shutter speed. I assume program mode is only good for stationary objects as the camera doesn't know to increase the shutter speed if the object is moving.

I think the best mode for a beginner is Aperture Priority as you can also indirectly manipulate the shutter speed by increasing or decreasing the aperture. I understand reading articles that f4 to f5.6 is a good aperture setting for general shooting light permitting.

I would like to find a good mode to use and stick with it as my main mode going into other modes occasionally. I have taken some nice pics; but I haven't mastered the camera yet.

It takes work and time with a camera like this.

Last edited by Chris0383; Apr 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:20 AM   #7

Im a newbie too. try using P mode, and adjusting aperture and shutter speed there. What Ive noticed is once you half press the shutter, a yellow box surrounds those settings, and they can be adjusted by clicking the joystick (all too fiddly if you ask me).
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropmyload View Post
try using P mode, and adjusting aperture and shutter speed there.
When I go into P-mode, It locks the shutter speed and aperture so I can't adjust those in P-Mode
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Outlaw View Post
Very frustrated....I am trying to take pictures without resorting to IA but I can't get it. I've read the advnaced manual but I am still confused.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Are there some basic setups using the P mode that would at least get me pointed in the right direction?

Thanks!
Newbie here also, but noticed you can use the diff programs for specific shots. Like landscape, portrait etc.
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:10 AM   #10

Its obvious we are being overwhelmed by the menu with too many options to choose from; with so many options, it makes the odds of choosing the wrong option more likely.

Gonna take some time.

This is a good article to read:

http://photo.net/learn/basic-photo-t...tterspeed-iso/ and quite relevant to this discussion.

http://photo.net/learn/basic-photo-t...rect-exposure/

Last edited by Chris0383; Apr 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM.