Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:41 AM   #1

Default TZ1 shots blurry and washed out

It seems more often than not lately the photos I'm taking are washed out and blurry. I don't recall the pics turning out like this in the past as often as they do now. It's weird comparing the pics from my tz1 to old pics I've taken from an old 2 mp elph, the pics on that seems much sharper! I usually take my camera along on hikes in the mountains, beaches, parks, whatnot, so the pics are outdoors in sunny, cloudy and even somewhat rainy weather. I'm not sure how where to begin to track down the problem, if it's a setting I'm using improperly, or something happened to the camera (it has taken some abuse). I apologize I am pretty much a noob under these circumstances! I thought looking at the exif data would help to see if there was a consistency in the settings I used, but I'm not sure how to view it with the photos open on my computer at the same time. I'm just trying to determine how to get the photos to turn out sharper and not washed out!
smilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:07 AM   #2

Default TZ1 Settings Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilla View Post
It seems more often than not lately the photos I'm taking are washed out and blurry. I don't recall the pics turning out like this in the past as often as they do now. It's weird comparing the pics from my tz1 to old pics I've taken from an old 2 mp elph, the pics on that seems much sharper! I usually take my camera along on hikes in the mountains, beaches, parks, whatnot, so the pics are outdoors in sunny, cloudy and even somewhat rainy weather. I'm not sure how where to begin to track down the problem, if it's a setting I'm using improperly, or something happened to the camera (it has taken some abuse). I apologize I am pretty much a noob under these circumstances! I thought looking at the exif data would help to see if there was a consistency in the settings I used, but I'm not sure how to view it with the photos open on my computer at the same time. I'm just trying to determine how to get the photos to turn out sharper and not washed out!
Hey smilla

I had a TZ1 since new, and gave it to my brother last year - it is still going like new. Although the TZ1 has been overshadowed by it's newer siblings, it is still quite a capable camera if used correctly.

If it is currently set in the full auto mode (Simple Mode - little heart on the dial), it may be boosting the ISO to keep the shutter speed high enough, which can often result in less than optimal results.

I suggest you use the "P" mode (Normal Mode - little camera on the dial), which will allow you more control over the settings.

Once you have done this, check the following settings in the menu (I have included the page reference numbers from the user manual):
  1. Digital Zoom. Make sure this is turned OFF. It will significantly reduce picture quality. p.30
  2. Optical Image Stabilizer. Mode 2 is best to reduce hand-shake. p.43
  3. White Balance. Use Auto, or change it if using indoors and the colours don't seem right. p.68-69
  4. Sensitivity (ISO) Only use Auto if taking pictures indoors, this will allow a range from 80-200. Anything in good light or outdoors, always use ISO 80 for the clearest, sharpest photos. p.70-71
  5. Aspect Ratio. Keep to 4:3 to use the full 5MP of the sensor, you can crop on the computer later if needed. p.71
  6. Picture Size/Quality. Always use the full 5MP resolution, and the Fine setting. Anything less will significantly reduce quality. p.71-7
  7. Metering Mode. Always use Multiple, or Spot if a subject has a very bright background and looks too dark. p.72
  8. AF Mode. I always used 1-Area High Speed. If you need to aim at something off-centre, half press the shutter then recompose, as you would have done on just about any film camera. p.73
  9. Picture Adjustment. I mostly used Vivid for outdoors, which boosts colour saturation, contrast and sharpness, and Natural for indoors, which does the opposite and reduces noise. p.76
Any of these settings can be adjusted for specific circumstances, but the recommendations I have made should be adequate for the majority of the time. The TZ1 also has built in Scene Modes, which you may want to experiment with.

I suggest you keep the user manual with you as a handy reference if you want to try different settings. If you can't get a decent shot after trying all the above, it is likely it is dying of old age...

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Greg

Last edited by chillgreg; Apr 25, 2010 at 3:17 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:39 AM   #3

Thanks, Greg-

You hit all the high point very nicely. I too am a TZ-1 user. High ISO and/or low shutter speeds=blurry photos. Always keep alert to low light conditions that force lower and lower shutter speeds, which in turn yield blurry photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote