Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:56 AM   #1

Default ZS7--what happened to the "vivid" color mode?

I've just gotten my ZS7 and the "vivid" color mode is not available on this camera. The vivid color mode always gave me the best images on other models before this like the ZS3, TZ5, etc the standard color mode always looked flat. The images on the ZS7 are really poor using the standard color mode and my semi-broken ZS3 is producing better pictures in comparison. Does anybody know if there is a way to adjust the settings on the ZS7 to get close to the old vivid mode or why Panasonic decided to get rid of it?
saleenadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2

saleendam-

There had been numerous complaints from previous users that the "Vivid" color mode was sort of too much and somewhat over the top. So, I sort of feel that it is understandable that Panasonic dropped the feature.

You can easily obtain the same results in photo editing. Just increase the saturation and contrast and you are on your way back to the Vivid color of old.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree. the vivid mode on my ZR1 is way over the top.

as sarah mentioned. just use your software that came with your camera to increase your saturation "hue/saturation button in photofunstudio" and contrast "brightness/contrast button in photofun" until you are happy. you can get more crispness if you also use the "sharpness" button.

also you may want to reevaluate your own tastes. the "Vivid" is really usually a bit too much and unnatural in "most" situations. just a mild boost in saturation/contrast/sharpness is all you need from the default picture mode.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:27 PM   #4

I guess I should have specified i'm trying to figure out if there is a way to achieve the same effect on the camera itself using the picture adjustments now available in the cameras menu? I never use any photo processing software and found that it was not necessary when taking pictures on vivid they were automatically how I wanted. If not i'll probably sell this camera off and get another ZS3 to replace mine because i'm not happy about the image quality of the ZS7 at all so far.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenadam View Post
I guess I should have specified i'm trying to figure out if there is a way to achieve the same effect on the camera itself using the picture adjustments now available in the cameras menu? I never use any photo processing software and found that it was not necessary when taking pictures on vivid they were automatically how I wanted. If not i'll probably sell this camera off and get another ZS3 to replace mine because i'm not happy about the image quality of the ZS7 at all so far.
I'm kind of like you on the vivid color. I also do not like to post process except once in a great while I'll do some minor thing with Picasa.

I don't have the ZS7 but I have the FZ28 and the FZ35. Both have a menu setting called Pict.Adj. Within that menu setting you can make changes in Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation and Noise Reduction. These settings will then be applied in all the semi manual modes such as P, S, and A. The iA mode will not pick up these adjustments. On my FZ28, I had to bump the saturation up but the FZ35 is the way I like it on automatic.

Good luck in solving this frustration. If these adjustments are not available on the ZS7, they certainly should be.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:15 PM   #6

See p. 105 in your manual. The adjustments Jack stated as above are detailed there.

Cheers
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:36 PM   #7

The adjustments are there i'm wondering what combination of them you have used for your pictures that brought out good results? For example, +1 contrast, -1 sharpness, etc.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenadam View Post
The adjustments are there i'm wondering what combination of them you have used for your pictures that brought out good results? For example, +1 contrast, -1 sharpness, etc.
My guess is that every camera and each photographer's taste may be different.

With my FZ28, I took pictures of a colored box with various settings and looked them over on the computer, compared to automatic (iA). When I found what I thought I liked, I took several pictures with this setting to confirm my tests. It's very subjective,.....we all like slightly different things.

Take a half hour or so and run some tests. Your comments indicate you should start by bumping saturation up by +1, then maybe +2,......it's a fun thing to do. Give it a try and you'll be pleased.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:51 PM   #9

saleenadam-

I would begin with bumping the Saturation to +2 and the Contrast to+2. Then do a test as Jack suggested and adjust those settings to your taste.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:55 PM   #10
Super Moderator

i would try something similar to what Sarah n Jack posted. but i would try +1 contrast before going to +2, most cameras step up pretty quickly on the contrast and you could end up losing some light data.

+2 saturation, +1 contrast, +1 sharpness

take it from there.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote