Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:17 PM   #21
Zos

You all make very good points. As a beginner, I have some of the basics understood but they are not automatic yet. As I was looking at many of LTZ's photos as a standard and the exif data along with them, I noticed many are shot in Apature priority or Shutter priority. How does one decide which to start with? What queus help you decide other than movement? Or am i over simplying this...likely he took 100 shots and 50 in each mode. Perhaps we beginners are trying to get the perfect shot the first shot and should rather take the time to take many with various settings to understand more. I preech... but I am guilty of trying to rush a process that takes patience and experience to fully appreciate.
Zos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:50 PM   #22

That's probably a good question 4 - Which mode? P, S, A, M

I think this is where the skill comes in and I'm still at the stage where I have to try lots of options to find what I like but I think a simple approach boils down to two questions:

1/ Do I need to control the length of the exposure to stop blurred movement or conversely to blur movement (smooth water effects)
2/ Do I need to control the DoF?

Yes+Yes = M
Yes+No = S
No+Yes = A
No+No = P

Then in each of those you make some compromise between the shutter speed/aperture and the ISO setting. Higher ISO gives more noise but allows a faster shutter and/or smaller aperture if that's more important.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:06 PM   #23

Most users seem to begin by using the "P" or Programed Auto Mode. So today 21 January 2011, we will discuss the "P" Mode. This mode basically works just like Full Auto with one HUGE exception. In the "P" mode you can now make many more changes to your camera. You can now do the following::

(1) make changes to the numerical ISO settings.
(2) make use of all the flash modes.
(3) make use of Exposure Compensation.olor effects
(4) make use of Flash Compensation.
(5) change your AF modes
(6) set ISO limits.
(7) make use of the WB pre-sets.
(8) make custom adjustments to your WB initialization mode.
(9) make use of the AE/AF lock.ion.
(10) make changes to your metering mode.
(11) make use of I-Exposure.
(12) set a minimum shutter speed.
(13) make use of I-Resolution.
(14) make use of Digital Zoom.
(15) make use of color effects.
(16) make use of Picture Adjustments.
(17) make use of the Flash Synchro Modes.

Now let me ask for your very valuable feed back to make this new and the wholly revised thread work better and much more efficiently.If the terms I have used above are confusing and unfamiliar to you, please tell me. That these are terms that are foreign or unknown to you tells me that we have to step back even further to begin at an even more basic point in our attempt at learning more.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Most users seem to begin by using the "P" or Programed Auto Mode. This mode basically works just like Full Auto with one HUGE exception. In the "P" mode you can now:

(1) make changes to the numerical ISO settings.
(2) make use of all the flash modes.
(3) make use of Exposure Compensation.

I may be wrong, but I think you can't change focus or meter area in iA either?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:41 PM   #25

Saly-

That is the point I was making. You cannot change focusing or metering areas is the IA Mode. They must be changed in the "P" Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
(8) make custom adjustments to your WB initialization mode.
(13) make use of I-Resolution.
These two I've somehow missed?
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:21 PM   #27
Zos

Sarah,
Having read the manual and tried all settings to some extent, It all makes sense to me. Again, reading the manual is a must to at least understand the cameras functions. The hard part is setting the functions to the conditions of your subject matter. With all the variables and the way they work together is something learned over time. I consider myself a good problem solver, quick study and love a challange. So, for me to be itimidated by photography is fun. My goal at this point is to find the best balance of faster shutter speed in less than ideal lighting. I think once I get that down, the rest will fall into place from a gut feel. Does that make sense?

Side note:
I plan to use my daughters next volleyball tournament as my test ground for this. Why start easy Most of my shooting is in P mode now, but I think i need faster shutter for clarity and stop motion blur and a way to up the exposure. My hope is to find a sweet spot setting for this camera. I have not tried the "high sensativity"? setting yet. I think you suggested that in another thread here.
As far as ISO.... iISO vs. AUTO leaves me a little baffled. I didn't see much difference with either, but that may be due to the metering mode or focus mode.

Like I said, this will take some time to experience what the settings actually do to each other.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:51 PM   #28

Zos-

Do you mind if I chime in on the Volleyball game photo environment?

Most volleyball venues prohibit flash. Volleyball has lots of jumping and live action. I don't think that you will be able to get fast enough shutter speeds in the existing lighting to "freeze" the action.

Therefore, you might consider using the High Sensitivity Scene Mode, which allows the use of numerically high ISO settings, which in turn will also provide higher usable shutter speeds. Even though the High Sensitivity Scene Mode is resolution restricted, providing you only with 3mp images, that is not a problem at all, as you will have the higher shutter speed that you will need.

Using good photo editing software like PhotoShop Elements Ver 6.0 and higher, you will be able to easily increase those 3mp images back to 12mp quite easily.

This is only a suggestion, and the choice to use this suggested technique is entirely up to you, Zos.

Might I assume that your opinion concerning this thread is that it should only address specific photo situations, rather than providing general photographic learning???

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:00 PM   #29

Eysha and any other Four Reader that cares to comment-

What are your thoughts on how this thread should be handled?? You were the person who specifically brought back this thread.

(1) Should this thread merit a sticky?

(2) Should this thread just deal with specific Panasonic FZ35/38/40/45 photo questions or should it be a source of general photographic learning posted on a regular basis?

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:10 PM   #30
Zos

I realize it's going to be difficult. But, I will try your suggestions.

As far as this thread, my opinion would be to have a basic starting points for the certian shots. For example.
Macro: flower shots by sunlight / cloud shade / settings
Telephoto: Bird shots by sunlight / cloud shade / settings
The problem that I see is that depending on the zoom everything changes. I am not sure that something like this can really be done. I wish the manual had a portable cheat sheet. I find myself wishing i had it in hand sometimes.

I find just picking a picture I like and reading the exif data is pretty helpful. If I can somewhat emulate the results from that, then I have learned something.