Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:18 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Zos-

Do you mind if I chime in on the Volleyball game photo environment?

Most volleyball venues prohibit flash. Volleyball has lots of jumping and live action. I don't think that you will be able to get fast enough shutter speeds in the existing lighting to "freeze" the action.

Therefore, you might consider using the High Sensitivity Scene Mode, which allows the use of numerically high ISO settings, which in turn will also provide higher usable shutter speeds. Even though the High Sensitivity Scene Mode is resolution restricted, providing you only with 3mp images, that is not a problem at all, as you will have the higher shutter speed that you will need.

Using good photo editing software like PhotoShop Elements Ver 6.0 and higher, you will be able to easily increase those 3mp images back to 12mp quite easily.
Generally when I'm shooting VBall I will be working at ISO 3200+ and f2.8, this is pretty much the only way to get acceptably sharp results.

Any camera at ISO 3200 is going to have quite a bit of noise, I wouldn't like to up scale a 3200 shot from my Canon 1DmkIII but rather at these settings I generally restrict the image size that clients order. This being the case I can't see any way to "easily increase those 3mp images back to 12mp" Even a clean image going from 3mp to 12 will lose quality.

Here is a quick shot from a clean image and you can see what happens with upsizing.

Original 12mp shot http://marksmithphotography.co.uk/fo...mpOriginal.jpg

3mp resize of the same shot http://marksmithphotography.co.uk/forum/3mp.jpg

3mp shot upsized to 12mp again http://marksmithphotography.co.uk/forum/12mpUpsize.jpg

Even from a clean shot there are a lot of artifacts, add this to an originally noisy shot and it will be painful.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:36 PM   #32

Default To Sarah's question

Sarah, I'm just advanced enough in taking pictures to know I don't know anything yet. Nevertheless, I can go to a myriad of places to get the basics on photography. I think this thread would best serve the forum if we stuck to the settings and techniques people use in different situations with their FZ cameras. Perhaps more a FZ "tips & tricks" discussion.

For instance:

1. The long zoom range of these cameras when combined with the small sensors dictates the use of a monopod or tripod whenever possible. *Getting really sharp images when hand-holding these cameras is a daunting challenge. Particularly when you have old, shakey hands like me.

2. "Film is cheap." We no longer have to worry about buying rolls of film and paying to get them processed before we learn whether we got one or two really decent pictures. Today you can take three hundred pictures for the same amount as taking three and the processing cost is your time, not cash. So, why not increase the chance of getting a "keeper" by using the three-shot burst or the bracketing features on your FZ camera? I recently found my the second or third shots in my bursts of some squirrels were almost always sharper than the first. With bracketing I cover more bases with regards to exposure and may have an opportunity to enhance an image by blending the three bracketed shots in Photoshop.

Just my two cents and a couple of offerings that have worked for me while I'm learning how to use my FZ super-zooms.
LarryInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:54 PM   #33

mark-

Here is a photo taken at ISO 3200 using the FZ40's High Sensitivity Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:56 PM   #34

Mark-

Here is a 100% crop of the previously posted photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:58 PM   #35

Zos and Larry-

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide some excellent feed back on the future of this thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:02 PM   #36
Zos

Hi folks, I agree that I won"t get a quality shot in a Vball game. I am more interested in getting just some good composition. My plan was to try the settings mentioned before as well as some burst and some bracketed. It's going to be a long day. Rest assured I will post some samples, but it's not until next weekend. Thanks everyone for your input.

Sorry if this thread sort of got hijacked.... Wasn't my intention.
Zos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:15 AM   #37

Quote:
(1) Should this thread merit a sticky?

(2) Should this thread just deal with specific Panasonic FZ35/38/40/45 photo questions or should it be a source of general photographic learning posted on a regular basis?

Sarah Joyce
1/ Not as it stands but If a good answer comes out of it then it could be useful to put the important bits it in a new, clean thread.
2/ Just the Panasonic bits here but the rest might be useful in a more general section.

On another point though, we can come up with a list of settings for different situations but isn't that precisely what the SCN modes are for?
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:51 AM   #38

I come to this forum/thread to learn more about my FZ35 camera. To me specific settings and info for this camera are the most useful - in this forum. The general info is always very helpful but maybe needs another thread. I went on a photography tour of Melbourne this morning and while I found things like line, texture, form, shape, tone etc really interesting and certainly focussed my thinking and shot taking - when the guide suggested 400ISO for most of our shots, I was worried about noise.
Looking over them now, I wish I had lowered the ISO. I know he was catering to a range of camera types but the more info you can get about your own camera the better, I feel. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thank you Sarah and others for your interest, help and guidance
azam650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:25 AM   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Mark-

Here is a 100% crop of the previously posted photo.

Sarah Joyce
Exactly, so with this low quality there is no chance of an up scaling back to 12mp as the quality is already poor (as is expected from any small sensor camera).
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:04 AM   #40

Yep, that is it exactly, Mark-

When you upscale you just bring the artefacts with you in the upscaling process.

Sarah Joyce