Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:14 AM   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Yep, that is it exactly, Mark-

When you upscale you just bring the artefacts with you in the upscaling process.

Sarah Joyce
That's why I was concerned when you said

Quote:
Therefore, you might consider using the High Sensitivity Scene Mode, which allows the use of numerically high ISO settings, which in turn will also provide higher usable shutter speeds. Even though the High Sensitivity Scene Mode is resolution restricted, providing you only with 3mp images, that is not a problem at all, as you will have the higher shutter speed that you will need.

Using good photo editing software like PhotoShop Elements Ver 6.0 and higher, you will be able to easily increase those 3mp images back to 12mp quite easily.
as it would likely incorrectly get the hopes up of new users wanting to shoot in poor lighting.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:06 AM   #42

Mark-

It is never going to replace what a good DSLR camera can do. However, it might provide a "work around" albeit with some shortcomings for folks using small imager super zooms.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:10 AM   #43
Super Moderator

It was more the thought of up sizing an ISO 3200 photo rather than just getting a shot.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:11 AM   #44

great thread.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:04 PM   #45

Eysha, and all other Forum Members who are interested-

Pardon me, but I was hoping for more than just the two words: "great thread."

A number of us are attempting to resolve the future of this thread and its content.

Are you personally pleased with this thread just dispensing general recipes (settings) for various photo situations?

Do you personally want to see this thread regularly deal with photographic learning so that your own photo can improve?

Do you personally want this thread to be made a permanent thread through the application of a "sticky."

What specifically do you want to get from this thread?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:12 PM   #46

1/ I think a menu of settings for common situations will prove to be a less successful approach than learning the 'whys' so you can work out your own settings but if some people prefer that approach then sure, there's no reason why this thread can't continue to do that. I don't think it warrants a sticky at this stage.

2/ I'm finding that although I'm getting better at figuring out what settings I need to use, I am also finding that I'm moving towards a 'starting point' that works reasonably well for most situations and doesn't require a lot of fiddling when I'm out and about. I'd be interested in comparing notes with other users of the same camera. The same probably also goes for users of other cameras so maybe a sticky on 'What are your default camera settings' or 'What do you have set in your presets' for each camera would be useful.

3/ General photographic learning isn't specific to one camera and I don't think it's necesarily best covered by a forum. I think we'd be better off with a sticky for each new model of camera in the relevant section which gave links to useful articles in the Knowledge Centre. Such a useful thread might be 'Getting the most out of a small-sensored camera'.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:20 PM   #47

Excellent post, Martin-

I agree that this thread is probably not a good place for general photographic knowledge.

I like the idea a a thread than would encompass bit "an initial starting point for exposure, composition, and lighting, and might also include specific tips for a specific camera model.

Now we have to determine if other members of the forum would be interested, and if there are enough member interested to make this once again a viable thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:13 PM   #48

Sarah, I simply used those two words to keep this thread on top, didn't know you wanted a monologue,lol.
To answer your questions, in simple terms, the answer is 'yes' to all your questions. I think this is a great thread for all photographers especially newbies like me. I want to learn as much as i can so this thread, and the people who post here, thank you for all your help, i for one appreciate it. Is that OK Sarah?
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:25 PM   #49

That is perfect, E-

That is exactly the kind of feed back that we need, as we move through this period where we are determining what to do with this thread. I really appreciate you taking some time to provide feedback.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:10 PM   #50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Eysha, and all other Forum Members who are interested-

Pardon me, but I was hoping for more than just the two words: "great thread."

A number of us are attempting to resolve the future of this thread and its content.

Are you personally pleased with this thread just dispensing general recipes (settings) for various photo situations?

Do you personally want to see this thread regularly deal with photographic learning so that your own photo can improve?

Do you personally want this thread to be made a permanent thread through the application of a "sticky."

What specifically do you want to get from this thread?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sarah Joyce
Silly question, but are you not taking this thread a little personally? It wasn't started by you and although Eysha didn't take what you said as offencive (or might have but ignored it) I don't think any of us as members at Steve's should reprimand someone for posting something like "great thread" in an open forum unless they are being abusive or rude. Other times to say something are when there is bad or incorrect advice given.

Thinking about a thread being a sticky, it would have to prove to be of very helpful information otherwise it falls into the same category as any other thread that we all start..... that is while it is of interest it stays alive at the top of the tree, after that it will move down like many previous threads. I will add that bumping a thread is certainly frowned upon at Steve's. Fortunately we don't get much of this.

My personal take for anyone looking to learn is to not worry too much about camera specifics but to actually learn the basics of photography that will allow them to understand most shooting situations and how to go about getting good results.

People could spend hours working on a whole list of scenarios and then others will look at them.... sure they will likely work but if they were carefully looked through lots would be very similar. If the basics are covered then people will quite quickly be able to get a shot in most situations.

There is nothing wrong with asking a question if they are not sure of how to attack the next sort of scenario they want to shoot.... also people playing around and seeing how changes affect their shots will also make them better photographers.

Another problem I see is a list that someone makes for how to do everything is likely to be different to someone else. I would advise anyone (and do in my signature of all posts) to do the following when learning "Take advice, not because someone posts lots/shouts loudly but because they have the skill to produce the level of photos you desire to."

When I was learning to be a sports shooter back in 2005 I looked to JohnG and others who could put the photographs where their mouths were. When I then moved to shooting weddings I looked to the work not only of my mentor who I worked for locally but to photographers on forums who were producing the goods (for this I had to look to a couple of other forums as unfortunately at Steve's we don't have many doing this). If I wanted to learn how to shoot landscapes then I would be checking out Spy's work and Walter's (to name two).

Is there anything wrong with people making their own cheat sheet? Nope, not at all. Is everyone going to have the same sheet? Unlikely as not everything will work for everyone. What could be useful is the knowledge for setting a camera for good out of camera results (assuming that people want that rather than having to do PP). The downside of out of camera results being more punchy, contrasty, saturated, sharp is that if you then want to edit you are not likely to have as much room to play as if the shot is a little less processed in camera.

OK, that was a long post but my challenge to all photographers at Steve's is to learn the basics (that's really not too hard to do) and you will see your photography improve massively as you won't get blurred shots or shots where they are totally over or under exposed so you lost vital detail. Then adding to this learning composition, posing (if shooting people) and lighting will make a greater difference too.

Don't stop asking questions and don't be afraid, thinking that the question has been asked before. It's only by asking questions, trying new things and getting honest feedback on your work will you get better at this wonderful hobby.