Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:34 PM   #51

That is good feedback, Mark-

I surely did not mean to offend in any way. However, as Mark pointed out my post could have been taken that way. So, I offer my full apologies to both Eysha and the Forum.

As for me, after 17,000+ posts, I am taking a "sabbatical." I will not be posting for awhile at Steve's. Good luck and best wishes to everyone.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:02 PM   #52

Mark, you are right when you argue taking good pictures requires learning "the basics of photography," but some of us prefer learning by doing. As I mentoned earlier, there are other forums specifically designed to "learn the basics of photography," most falling under the Digicam Help banner. I thought this forum was more about the tool, the Panasonic camera. *If you glance at the viewing numbers you'll see this thread and a similar one on the TZ10 are leading all the other discussions.

I have a theory that the more people use their cameras, the better they will become. If we were talking tablesaws someone would probably suggest a carbide blade, a pushstick, and to avoid wearing jewelry or loose fitting shirts. Here, however, we are talking about the FZ cameras and people are offering suggestions on setting them up and techniques that seem to work for them. If this leads FZ owners to experiment and use their cameras more, thus learning what works for them and what doesn't, isn't that a worthy discussion?

Getting back to the forum discussion, another personal offering:

Because I am an amateur and need every available crutch, I carefully read how to set up and use the three custom settings offered on my FZ cameras. *My custom #1 is my generic setup for scenic shots, to which I often include bracketing; #2 for macro, based on the general settings used by LTZ470; and #3 for zoom photoraphy, already set up with one of the Extra Zoom (EZ) options.** I keep all the elements of these settings on a 3x5" card in my bag, in case I ever have to reboot ("reset"). * *I use the other side of the white 3x5"card for the occasions I set custom white balance. *(Before someone asks, I haven't used the Scene modes because they limit your ability to control some important things, to include the iso setting.)

Finally, for what it is worth, I hope Sara reconsiders her decision.*

*Larry

Last edited by LarryInVa; Jan 23, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
LarryInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:19 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Eysha and any other Four Reader that cares to comment-

What are your thoughts on how this thread should be handled?? You were the person who specifically brought back this thread.

(1) Should this thread merit a sticky?

(2) Should this thread just deal with specific Panasonic FZ35/38/40/45 photo questions or should it be a source of general photographic learning posted on a regular basis?

Sarah Joyce
I think we should have a thread that discusses general photographic technique and how it can be achieved specifically on a FZ camera. For example, Mr. LTZ470 is my hero...he has taken shots I can only ever dream of achieving...but I will try. However, if he has a super special secret technique he uses (which I know he does LOL), Id love it if he shares.

However, I do understand not everyone is as gifted as him, we all still keep trying.
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:01 AM   #54
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
That is good feedback, Mark-

I surely did not mean to offend in any way. However, as Mark pointed out my post could have been taken that way. So, I offer my full apologies to both Eysha and the Forum.

As for me, after 17,000+ posts, I am taking a "sabbatical." I will not be posting for awhile at Steve's. Good luck and best wishes to everyone.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for your understanding and apology; that's what we are here for as Mods just to look after all our members to make sure people have an enjoyable time at Steve's.

With the need for a sabbatical, I know that over the years you've needed to take one periodically so hope you have a good break and look after Bradley.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:24 AM   #55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInVa View Post
Mark, you are right when you argue taking good pictures requires learning "the basics of photography," but some of us prefer learning by doing. As I mentoned earlier, there are other forums specifically designed to "learn the basics of photography," most falling under the Digicam Help banner. I thought this forum was more about the tool, the Panasonic camera. *If you glance at the viewing numbers you'll see this thread and a similar one on the TZ10 are leading all the other discussions.

I have a theory that the more people use their cameras, the better they will become. If we were talking tablesaws someone would probably suggest a carbide blade, a pushstick, and to avoid wearing jewelry or loose fitting shirts. Here, however, we are talking about the FZ cameras and people are offering suggestions on setting them up and techniques that seem to work for them. If this leads FZ owners to experiment and use their cameras more, thus learning what works for them and what doesn't, isn't that a worthy discussion?

Getting back to the forum discussion, another personal offering:

Because I am an amateur and need every available crutch, I carefully read how to set up and use the three custom settings offered on my FZ cameras. *My custom #1 is my generic setup for scenic shots, to which I often include bracketing; #2 for macro, based on the general settings used by LTZ470; and #3 for zoom photoraphy, already set up with one of the Extra Zoom (EZ) options.** I keep all the elements of these settings on a 3x5" card in my bag, in case I ever have to reboot ("reset"). * *I use the other side of the white 3x5"card for the occasions I set custom white balance. *(Before someone asks, I haven't used the Scene modes because they limit your ability to control some important things, to include the iso setting.)

Finally, for what it is worth, I hope Sara reconsiders her decision.*

*Larry
Morning Larry, the forum is whatever people want it to be (within reason ) so there is no problem with being camera specific here or if someone using a Panasonic wants to share with their fellow shooters about their more general photographic ideas that's fine as well. The great thing about Steve's is the ability to share our own thoughts and what works for us which helps others learn as not all are in the same place and not all learn in the same way. Looking at the way you've gone about things, you very sensibly have some basic setups done in the custom modes but also you've learnt some photography basics to allow you to change these etc so you are in a great position. Someone right out of the gate will want simple settings for a specific situation (scene modes can be good), moving on learning how to set their own general settings, then as they learn more to control everything for the best result.

There is no hard and fast way to go about things so I was echoing some points made earlier in the thread.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:15 PM   #56

Mark i read your post with interest and yes i did, again, feel reprimanded by Sarah.
I do take your point about learning the basics and i can promise i have tried. My problem is a memory problem so i tend to write things down a lot. I have found learning photography a bit like learning to drive in the sense that, initially, there is so much to remember but eventually it all comes together and you do it without thinking. I am far from that stage.
While i play around with my camera a lot I don't have anything to post that is worthy of viewing. There are some excellent photographs posted here and i aspire to them but, in the mean time i read these posts to learn, i ask questions to learn and i play around with settings on my camera to learn too.
I am very grateful for this forum and the knowledge here given by all those who were once newbies but who have learnt and are now happy to pass that kowledge on to people like me.
I will admit that i am cautious about asking questions and tend to hope that someone else has asked it prior as i do feel a bit daft most of the time. However, i hope one day to be able to show a good photo and that, i know, will only happen if i keep at it, and i am.
I only started taking photographs with a view to photographing my own art work but, i got interested and still am so thanks again to all the people who are kind enough to post and help new wannabies like me.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:57 PM   #57
Super Moderator

Evening Eysha, the good thing about learning photography rather than learning to drive is crashing is far less painful

I really would encourage you to post photos if you are keen to learn. It is great reading, looking at the work of others and working on shots yourself, but sharing a shot with your peers will open a whole extra level of learning. Sure, at first you are not likely to get everything right but after a few points in the right direction you will very likely improve very quickly. It can be daunting to do but we've all been there so will hopefully be able to empathise.

If you do post a shot it is best to go for one or two at a time to get more detailed advice. Also there is a specific photo critique section which you can find at Photo Critiques

If you do post there the limit is one photo per thread but you will get a good audience using a wide range of cameras to check out what is going on and help you out.

The good thing about Steve's is that there are many people willing to help, we don't often have any problems, which is quite fresh for a photo forum so be brave and let's try to help you out.

One thing I would say is to use your artists eye and focus on composition. It's all well and good being a technical expert with settings but many people don't have the eye. I have a friend who knows almost nothing about camera settings but she is a wonderful artist so when we go out and shoot together she often gets results I find more pleasing than mine.... I'm happy to admit I'm a tech head, I love numbers, science, technology so can pretty much set anything, but my art is weaker so I have to work harder thinking about composition and lighting than a natural.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:13 PM   #58

lol, i can say with honesty that i never crashed, never even had a little bump thank goodness and i don't drive now but i do recall how hard it was to learn to drive and then to pass the driving test - might not be the same there though.
I will try to get some photos tomorrow and post just two as you suggest.
I agree about this forum, it is a very good learning area and very freindly too with some wonderful photos too.
Speak later, goodnight for now.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:51 PM   #59

This thread has been helpful to me. I just purchased an FZ-35 this past week after reading posts on this site as well as others, and reading extensive reviews. It's taken over a month, but I feel I bought a good camera with full manual controls. The first thing I did was to install a B+W MRC UV filter and GGS glass LCD protector, and have been reading the extensive user manual. This is quite a change for me since back in the old Nikon FM days I still have many 52mm filters from the Nikon and plan on getting a 46-52mm step-up ring so I can use them, as the camera's outer barrel clearance will permit it. As an added bonus, I can also use my Slik Able 300DX tripod, although I'm also considering a stable mini tripod for portability as the DX300 is a beast, but has served me well.
One book I've found useful as a refresher is Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Photography Field Guide", as it appears those principles will apply to digital photography as well.
I have a lot of catching up to do but am looking forward to putting the FZ35 through its paces
coolbluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:37 PM   #60

Default Good luck with your FZ35/38

You have a good camera and the more you use it, the better you will get. There are plenty of places where you can learn some techniques you can try. Take a look at this site and don't skip the parts that relate to the FZ18 and FZ28. It is all in the genes.
LarryInVa is offline   Reply With Quote