Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 16, 2010, 8:50 PM   #51

Default My FZ35 Arrived!

Hello All,

My Used Panasonic FZ35 arrived from B&H Photo & it's in perfect shape! Now, other than the User's Manual, does anyone know if there's another manual which is a little more user friendly? I'm a newbie to photography & anxious to take the camera off of Auto Mode. Thank you for any help/guidance you can provide.
RosaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 9:32 PM   #52

Getting a basic knowledge of how aperture, shutter speed, sensitivity (ISO), white balance etc all work together will go a long way.

I would suggest going to your local library and see what books you can find. There is a LOT of info available online as well, try searching in Google for 'basic photography techniques' or something similar.

That said, with P&S cameras such as the FZ35, using the P (Program Auto) or iA (Intelligent Auto) usually provide the best results. I would recommend just using those modes for a while and concentrate more on composition and simply having fun. The nice thing about digital is that you can essentially learn for 'free', you can just try stuff and delete your mistakes (and learn from them at the same time!).

Happy Shooting!
Old May 16, 2010, 10:02 PM   #53

Those are some beautiful pics ... thank you Neil. I'll try the library & also do some google searches. In regards to the FZ35, does anyone know if something has been posted before, maybe a quick user guide?

Rosa
Old May 17, 2010, 2:27 AM   #54

RosaC,

Try this page http://www.seattlepcservice.ie/fz35.htm it is not mine but he has a pocket reference you can print and a lot of good tips. Congrats on the new Camera, you'll love it!!!
HDMI cable- Monoprice.com
UV filter- HOYA
Tripod- Slik AF1000(U-212)
Case- Targus
joekelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 7:22 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelli View Post
RosaC,

Try this page http://www.seattlepcservice.ie/fz35.htm it is not mine but he has a pocket reference you can print and a lot of good tips. Congrats on the new Camera, you'll love it!!!
Perhaps some sort of sticky thread could keep these valuable resources.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 9:26 AM   #56

Default Thank You!

Thanks so much for all the info!
Old May 24, 2010, 8:55 PM   #57

Default Night Event Need Suggestions

Hello Everyone!

I'm going to an indoor evening event this weekend & of course I'm taking my
FZ35. I'm sure that the event will be in lower light. Can you please suggest what settings I should use? I'm obviously a newbie ... should I set at IA or perhaps AE?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:13 PM   #58

Rosa-

The ISO capability of the FZ-35 tops out at ISO 800. Therefore, you are going to have to restrict your ISO settings to ISO 800 and below. The easiest way to do that will be to just manually set your ISO to ISO 800. To get as much light through the lens aperture, you will also have to limit zooming as much as possible. Therefore, plan on "zooming with your feet" so plan on getting up close to your subjects, and avoiding the use of zoom to have the widest apertures available to your camera to cope with the low light level.

Finally, you will have to adjust your White Balance to deal with the type of lighting you are going to find in your photo environment. You gave no real details of any kind, so all I can do is guess that using an incandescent white balance (the small light bulb logo) will be the best setting and will prevent the yellow colored cast that will occur if you use auto white balance.

If you can give us more details about the lighting you expect to encounter, perhaps we can add more detail for you.

As a side note, you are going to learn a lot more in a shorter time if you take a formal Basic Photography Course. Most Community Colleges offer a variety of digital camera and photography courses, with rather in expensive tuition costs. I teach multiple photography and digital cameras courses for our local Community College System, so I know they are available.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 11:39 PM   #59

Sarah,

Thank you for the info. I apologize for not giving more detail about the lighting. The event is at a community center which I've never been to. But, I'll go with you recommendations.
Also, I plan to enroll in a Basic Photography Class in July. It's a 2 day workshop specifically geared towards Digital Photography.

Rosa
Old May 25, 2010, 12:15 AM   #60

Rosa-

No offense intended at all. However, I would possibly be looking for a more substantial, or drawn out course than a 2 day event. How many hours of instruction are there? If you got 6 hours each day that would equal my Basic Digital Photography course which runs 12 hours and spans a 6 week period, that sort of lets the instruction sink in slowly and gives you time to practice.

However, 12 hours of instruction in a 2 day period would be like trying to get a sip of water from a fire house running full blast.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote