Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:26 PM   #1

Default Questions about the Panasonic FZ35

Hello,

Iíve been reviewing the postings & pics about the Panasonic FZ35. This camera seems to be very remarkable & the folks who post very friendly & helpful.
Currently, I have a Fuji SD6000 & want to upgrade. I like to take pics of my son while he participates in Karate tournaments. He also does some dirt biking. I also like to take pics of our summer vacation to the California Eastern Sierras (wildlife, scenery, people pics), So, with this in mind will the Panasonic meet my needs?

Also,as you can probably tell Iím an amateur. I use auto mode but would like to learn how to use manual modes. Can anyone recommend a good book or perhaps website for a beginner like me?

Lastly, I would like to see/feel the camera before I buy from a reputable website. But, Iíve called Target, COSTCO, Wall-Mart, Best Buy & Ritz. They donít have it. I live in Southern Calif. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
RosaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2

Rosa-

I do not live in Southern California, so I cannot offer a suggestion regarding finding the FZ-35 in a local store. However, I did catch you comment about your son's Karate Tournaments. I have only been to 1 Karate Tournament, but there was a strict prohibition against using flash cameras during the Tournament.

If you are planning to take shots of your son during a Karate Tournament the FZ-35 might not be the ideal choice for a camera because it high ISO ability tops out at ISO 800. ISO 800 would be insufficient for good Karate Tournament photos during the competition. That would require an entry level DSLR camera like the Pentax Kx model.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:53 AM   #3

I agree that indoor sports without flash is going to be very tough to get good pictures with any of the bridge type camera's. You would however be able to take some awesome video with the FZ35! If you are allowed to use flash then the FZ35 would be perfect for all your needs.

I was not able to hold a FZ35 before I bought one and was a little worried I might not like it. I have big hands and had read that it might be an issue for some. I can honestly tell you that I am very pleased with the feel of the camera in my hands. the quick menu joystick is very easy to use and I am very happy I made this purchase!
HDMI cable- Monoprice.com
UV filter- HOYA
Tripod- Slik AF1000(U-212)
Case- Targus
joekelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:19 AM   #4

I was looking into a low cost DSLR and the low cost ones seemed cheaply made and had a plastic feeling to them more so than the FZ35 turned out to be. The lens focus screw also seemed quite coarse and flimsy on the cheap DSLR's.

Most cheap DSLR’s come with a 50 mm lens that gives about 4x zoom. To get a comparable 18x zoom for a DSLR, you need a second lens that could cost about $200 or more used. To get even better zoom for birding or wildlife, you would need a third lens costing $400 or more used. You would be toting 3 lenses at that point as the zoom lenses for DSLR’s don’t seem to cover all the zoom ranges. It appears, you can’t just get a do it all zoom lens for a DSLR. My estimates is that the price suddenly jumps to $1000 + compared to $300 + 100 for a teleconverter to get a max of 800mm focal length for 30x zoom. Lets not forget the photo quality is also greater with DSLR's in dark situations; I can't deny that.

All point and shoot cameras seem to have shooting in dark places as their limiting factor. My Canon SX110 would not focus in the woods and kept begging me to bump up the ISO (it has a ISO shift feature) but the FZ35 blows it away in the woods as it appears to allow more light in. And that’s where I do a lot of my photography. That was the deciding factor in my selling if my SX110 and purchasing of the FZ35.

So the question I’d ask is what is good quality to you? as we all have our different standards. I remember my 2MP camera was the best thing on earth and I still have that Fuji today in good working order.

So if you don’t need > 4x zoom, you may want to get a DSLR and there are a few for $400 to $500 that would suit you indoor needs very well. It’s up to your budget, needs, and standards.

I do all types of photography and use many different zoom levels and I don’t need the best quality at this time. I also have a budget and chose the FZ35 after reading many positive reviews. I also knew the FZ35 had lots of options and it would have a steep learning curve to get the most out of the camera.

Last edited by Chris0383; Apr 30, 2010 at 7:33 AM.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Default Thank you

Thank you to all for your replies and information. In regards to the Karate Tournaments, in most cases they do allow a flash. How about the dirt biking (outdoors) will the FZ35 meet my needs?
Also, can anyone point me to a goog beginner book and /or website so I can eventually take the camera off auto mode/
Lastly, what type filters do I need & what size memory card do I need for shoorting videos. Should I get a 8 for video and 4 for pics? I
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:35 AM   #6

I'd get an 8GB minimum Class 6 or better for video and an extra battery if you shoot long video. I'd factor in 7mb per photo at high quality and only you can decide how many photos you will be taking.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:53 PM   #7

Rosa-

Scott Kelby's series called "The Digital Camera Book" vol 1, 2, & 3 are excellent resource books.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:15 PM   #8

There is also

Joe's FZ35/38 webpage

He has a nice little pocket guide / manual on his page and
some user tips.
will1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:03 PM   #9

Thank you so much for all the information.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:20 PM   #10

Any recommendations on where I can purchase 8GB minimum Class 6 & extra battery for the FZ35? Are there specific brands I should buy or not buy?
Any recommendations on where I should buy the FZ35?

Thanks again!