Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1

Default Movies with DMC-ZR1

Hi All,
I just sold my bulky Canon S5IS. I realized that my tendencies were for point and shoot photos and I really hated the size. So I'm considering a new camera.

After some reading (the net and my wallet), I've settled on a Lumix DMC-ZS3.

I have two questions:

1) What do you think of the colours in photos from this camera.
2) HD video: Space requirements aside. Will this take movie's of a similar quality to a miniDV camcorder? I know this is not the most appropriate solution. But I am looking to replace my miniDV camcorder for the purpose of very short clips. But I need the quality to be all there.

Optional Question: Is there a camera that takes better photos, better movies, and is just as small?
mcsilvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:44 PM   #2

mcsilvio-

A dedicated camcorder will always get better image quality, especially in a low light environment. I shoot with the ZR1 and have been pleased with the WB and colors. This primarily a digital camera that as a bonus takes short video clips. In truth, it is not a replacement for a camcorder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 12:04 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Sarah. I was actually in the middle of reading another one of your responses (very good) for another post.

I'm sure I am asking for the impossible. A compact that takes great photos AND great HD movies.

My preference switched from the ZR3 to the ZS3 (being newer with a few more bells and whistles), but once in a while I am reading terrible things about its image quality in low light.

So now I am in doubt. I was reading your post on the Sony H-20. This camera is even too big for my taste. The size of the ZS3 is exactly what I have in mind.
In fear of this turning into a "What camera should I buy?" post,

What camera should I buy?!
Marco.
mcsilvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 2:26 PM   #4

Marco-

The ZS3 would be a much better choice than the ZS3 or the ZR3. The ZS3 can go up to ISO and still maintain most of its image quality. But I am speaking of still photos. Once again a digital camera can not replace a dedicated camcorder for videos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote