Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2003, 8:15 AM   #11

Some rare things seem to exceed every expectation. The Olympus C2100uz was a case in point, where I found everything worked better than I expected and I kept discovering nifty new features as I learned how to use it.

I did not find the Lumix FZ-10 like that. It is a very nice camera in many ways and works well when there is plenty of light. There are two rather basic problems with the design though. In low light levels the viewfinder is not bright enough and it is rather difficult to focus it compared to the focus assist of the Uzi. The viewfinder is pathetic in manual mode, that you need for an external flash. In my office, with F 5.6 and 1/60 sec the viewfinder is black. Panasonic tell me this is how it is meant to work. For comparison, with the Uzi in manual at F 8.0 & 1/800 sec the viewfinder is as bright as it is in auto with F 2.8 & 1/8 sec. The other problem is with chromatic aberration, that is worse than with the Uzi. I believe that I can use Panatools to correct this once I can get it set up for the FZ-10 and inserted as a plug-in filter. The distortion at wide angle is also worse than the Uzi although it is better at long zoom, where it counts for me. I need to find a rubber cup to put round the eyepiece, like the Orion one I use on the Uzi, to help viewing in bright sunlight.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 8:33 AM   #12

Parallel wrote
Quote:
I need to find a rubber cup to put round the eyepiece, ............ to help viewing in bright sunlight.
Can you put a rubber cup on your eye instead?? LOL
(Sorry, I'm in a silly mood this morning, after shoveling thru this weekends New England snow storm.)

I should add that I have no regrets. I love ZOOM!!!
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 9:14 AM   #13

It is difficult to put a rubber cup round your eye when you wear glasses.

Seriously, if you haven't tried putting a cup round the viewer eyepiece, you should try it. It helps a lot.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:05 PM   #14

parallel
I wear glasses also and they are a pain. I have the diopter adjusted to the un-aided (naked) eye and hang the glasses from my neck when I use the eyepiece.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for an eye-cup and try wearing my glasses.

I seem to remember a post at dpreview.com ( Panasonic forum ) that someone found a rubber cup from another camera that worked well-enough on the zoomer (FZ10). I'll have to go do a search for it.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:23 PM   #15

Is the eyecup for glasses or to help see the screen in bad lighting? I solve the 1st problem with no regrets - laser surgery!!
TerriLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:52 PM   #16

The camera works nicely and a Canon 220EX flash in aperture priority works okay. I wouldn't sell mine, it's alot of fun, but I also wouldn't say that it's the best choice for indoor flourescent lighting.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 2:48 PM   #17

Default Re: I love my FLUZI

WHAT CHANGES DID YOU MAKE TO IMPROVE THE SITUATION WHAT WAS THE PROBLEMS YOU FIXED

THANKS LOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by genece
I was dissapointed with the first couple photos I took , But after changing a few settings, still on program, I am getting better results than any other camera I have ever used. And that was what I was hoping for.
Gene
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 3:53 PM   #18

I donít think the FZ10 is the best all round general-purpose camera on the market but it is great at its forte which is not only long stabilized telephoto shots but amazing handheld available light shots at wider angles.

You will need a flash attachment. You donít need an expensive dedicated unit but the built in flash is really weak and you need something. You get better pictures using a flash attachment with any camera and that isnít such a big drawback.

I certainly donít regret buying the camera. That the physical controls arenít as good as even my little pocket camera is a slight irritation, but the menu system is well designed and you can get to where you want to go pretty easily after you use it for a while.

I havenít had many bad pictures. There is a learning curve with any camera and the FZ10 has been relatively painless.

Quote:
I need to find a rubber cup to put round the eyepiece, like the Orion one I use on the Uzi, to help viewing in bright sunlight.
I have adapted the Orion eyecup to the FZ10 but it really takes some surgery on the base of the eyecup as it is much larger than the small piece that sticks out for the EVF. It works very well though if you are willing to mess with it.

Seawise6 ordered 3 of them and the Nikon cup. Hopefully he will report back which is more appropriate. Iíll be sticking with the Orion cup as I really like it, but it might not be for everyone.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 5:33 PM   #19

I recently got mine and I love it. As this was my first digital camera with full manual features it took me a little while to get used to it. But once I get my knowledge up to par (I am still learning a lot with this camera) I am sure I can get really good pictures out of it.

To be honest, when the camera was in shipping I was a little unsure if it was the right camera, what with all these new Canon and Olympus models coming out. But once I got it, I was very glad I did.

Of course that isn't to say it is perfect.

Like someone mentioned before, the LCD goes dark in manual mode if the shutter speed is too fast or the F.stop to high for the light. But there is one advantage to that, it gives you a good estimate of what the picture will look like with those settings.
However it doesn't put whether the flash is on into consideration

But I find that problem to be not that bad for most cases.

And I have found that focusing isn't much of a problem at all. In fact it is usually pretty fast. And I believe all the new megazoom (Canon S1, the various Olympus models) cameras within a similar price range do not have a focus assist either (to the extent of my knowledge). Which is too bad. It seems like only the older models (like the UZI) have it, but none of the new ones (I think there is one 10x camera that has it, but if I remember correctly it isn't that great in other areas).

While it lacks in some areas, I believe that overall it is the best on the market (at least for me). And it has been one the market for a while now and there hasn't been any major mechincal complaints (to my knowledge)
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 5:43 PM   #20

The Nikon eyecup "Rubber eyecup for F-601-N6006-F-401X-N5005" works very well.
For those that have never tried one, they are good for both those who wear glasses and those who don't. They are almost essential if the ambient light is strong.

Further to my earlier comment about not being able to use an external flash because you can't see anything on the efv. The problem has been helped by finding the the efv is not dimmed if you select just aperture preferred, not full manual. The disadvantage is that the exposure then defaults to 1/60 second, that is not short enough to freeze action when there is fair ambient light.

Noise Ninja takes care of the noise at higher ISO quite nicely. The remaining problem is high chromatic aberration in some situations, but Picture Windows Pro 3.5 takes care of that and there will be a an even better solution if/when I can get Panatools to work with PhotoBrush.

parallel