Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 11, 2010, 1:37 AM   #1

Default ZR1 -- White and purple streaks in pictures

Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong? I was testing out the ZR1 in outdoor shots on a bright, sunny day -- the camera was in Intelligent Auto mode. Some of the pictures came out just fine, but one had a bright white streak in it, one had a purple streak in it, and one (the one of the bush) had a spot of blurry or lighter color in the middle of the proper color. I've attached the pictures below. What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in the future (bearing in mind that I'm a complete newbie and I'm generally going to be shooting in Intelligent Auto mode until I can do some more learning)? Could I possibly have gotten a defective camera? Thanks for your patience, and for any insights!
Attached Images

opalmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 8:18 AM   #2

It's called flaring...it happens when you are shooting into the sun or bright lights and can show up in the picture many different shapes and sizes....

Shoot with the Sun at your back or shade the camera and lens with something...you can see why they have lens hoods now?...

sometimes I like just a bit of flaring as it can make for a distinct picture...sometimes just changing the angle of the camera to the light source will avoid flaring or almost eliminate it too...

You have a beautiful yard...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Super Moderator

you will get flare with any camera when you are shooting directly into sun or bright lights. nothing defective, just physics.

on dslrs and such if you are getting flare from side light, lens hoods help, of course you can't do that with a point and shoot, but often you can shield the light with your off hand, or just move your position relative to the sun. another trick is to use objects in your environment to block the sun, by walking into the shadow of a tree/building/etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 10:51 AM   #4

Thank you both for your help (and for the kind words about my yard!).

I was concerned about the results on the ZR1 because I had taken some of the same shots in the same place at the same time with the Sony HX5V (I'm trying to figure out which camera I'm going to keep), and I didn't get the lens flare on the HX5V shots.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5

Lens Flare occurs with any camera in certain conditions. You just have to have the right mix of circumstances and equipment. Just avoid shooting into a a bright (the sun in this case) light source.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 3:13 PM   #6

That 3rd image has the weirdest flare I've ever seen. It also appears that there is quite a bit of purple fringing around the tree branches (both the on the front and side trees). It makes me think that the ZR1 lens construction is not that great and coating is certainly on the poor side. Too bad...I'm thinking about getting myself one of those. Do I have to re-think?!?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 3:33 PM   #7

Hi Tullio:

I've been comparing the HX5V to the ZR1 for several weeks now. Based on the ZR1's glowing professional reviews (as well as the highly positive comments about it on this forum), and the negative comments about image softness, bad AWB, and overexposure on the HX5V on this forum and elsewhere, I was expecting the ZR1's results to be consistently superior to the HX5V's -- and I have to say that that hasn't been the case (and I'm STILL undecided about which one I'm going to keep). Of course, you should bear in mind that I have no camera skills and have just been shooting everything in Intelligent Auto, and I'm sure that the ZR1 is capable of turning out much better images in the hands of someone more knowledgeable. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to post some more pictures if that would help your decision process.
Old May 17, 2010, 3:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalmom View Post
...Of course, you should bear in mind that I have no camera skills and have just been shooting everything in Intelligent Auto, and I'm sure that the ZR1 is capable of turning out much better images in the hands of someone more knowledgeable. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to post some more pictures if that would help your decision process.
Well, the ZR1 only allows you shoot in auto mode anyway, so I'd say that photographic skills have very little to do with the results you get from the camera (other than composition since the camera is pretty much choosing all the settings). What you wrote goes along well with what I've seen coming out of the ZR1. It's a mixed bag to say the least. I can't make much sense out of it considering the positive reviews it has received. Nonetheless, I have no doubt the camera has its limitations (well, just about every camera has limitations) but my concern is that its goodness are blown way out of proportion.

Yes, please post more images. It will certainly help me out quite a bit. Thanks.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 6:38 PM   #9

ask Hards80/Dustin for further tips, he just got one.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 7:22 PM   #10

Hi Tullio: Here are some more pictures. They're nothing great -- I was just goofing around to try the camera out. One note: the LCD on the ZR1 was IMPOSSIBLE to see in bright sunlight; I didn't have that problem with the HX5V.
Attached Images