Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2010, 6:24 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ35 Question

Hello All. First, let me say I did a search for this answer prior to posting, but couldn't find it.

Since the FZ35 isn't in local stores, I was hoping someone who already has one can tell me the answer to a question before I purchase online.

On the viewfinder, when you do exposure compensation or manual exposure and hold the record button halfway, do you get a preview of what the exposure would look like, or do you have to take the pic to simply see the result in playback? That is one feature I liked on the Canon SX20 I looked at in store, I could set the exposure to what I wanted and see the preview prior to shooting.

I do realize that the brightness on the viewfinder may not portray an accurate representation of the final stored image, before anyone points that part out.

Thanks All!
formikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2010, 7:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by formikec View Post
Hello All. First, let me say I did a search for this answer prior to posting, but couldn't find it.

Since the FZ35 isn't in local stores, I was hoping someone who already has one can tell me the answer to a question before I purchase online.

On the viewfinder, when you do exposure compensation or manual exposure and hold the record button halfway, do you get a preview of what the exposure would look like, or do you have to take the pic to simply see the result in playback? That is one feature I liked on the Canon SX20 I looked at in store, I could set the exposure to what I wanted and see the preview prior to shooting.

I do realize that the brightness on the viewfinder may not portray an accurate representation of the final stored image, before anyone points that part out.

Thanks All!
Yes the FZ35 does show you what the exposure will look like. I dont think it does in IA mode. I do not have my camera at work with me to see what modes it does it in.
HDMI cable- Monoprice.com
UV filter- HOYA
Tripod- Slik AF1000(U-212)
Case- Targus
joekelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 9:10 PM   #3

Thank you joekelli for taking time to answer. I'm not concerned with AI as I probably won't use that mode much. I've been doing photog for years, starting with 35mm and ending with a Canon 10d. However, I am not as interested as before and am planning on selling my outfits to someone more interested, and am simply looking for a good all around, all inclusive, that I can still do some manual exposure creativity (waterfalls, fireworks, etc). And, don't want to carry lenses, filters, and flashes...or any other luggage, around anymore.

Thanks again!
formikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 10:04 PM   #4

Hi formikec

I concur with joekelli. Can I add that to get a nice blurred waterfall, you will need a ND filter, as the minimum aperture on all non-dslr's is only about f8-f11. The ND filter reduces incoming light by 2 stops (I think), and are cheap and readily available - 46mm on the FZ35.

I previously had an FZ-18, and now have the FZ35, and I can tell you it is a (slightly complex) marvellous photographic tool, that can create awesome photos and great memories in just about any situation.

Cheers
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 6:30 AM   #5

I can confirm that the FZ35 does give you a preview of your exposure settings. I just tested this myself. It will actually show them as you change settings in manual mode. as well as all the other modes. it will also show you the difference when you use the under/over exposure in IA mode as well.
HDMI cable- Monoprice.com
UV filter- HOYA
Tripod- Slik AF1000(U-212)
Case- Targus
joekelli is offline   Reply With Quote