Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 14, 2010, 9:05 AM   #1

Default Major error in recently posted TS1 review

There is a fairly major error in the DMC-TS1 review. A major point is made of the "fact" that the camera has a minimum shutter speed of 1/8 second, limiting low light shooting at low ISO. The low ISO indoor sample still life images are underexposed.

This isn't a fact. It just reflects the default settings of the camera, which are presumably that way to prevent very naive users from taking lots of blurry photos. The setting can be changed, and it is pointed out fairly clearly in the manual, or can just be discovered by anyone who works their way through the menus. On page 90 of my version of the manual, it says:

You can take a picture brightly in dark places by setting [MIN. SHTR SPEED] slower. Also, you can set it faster to reduce the blur of the subject.
Applicable modes:
[1/125], [1/60], [1/30], [1/15], [1/8], [1/4], [1/2], [1]

and believe me, this works. It is in the rec mode settings. You set it once to one second and forget it, and your camera will then use speeds down to 1 second, allowing a much better low-light/low ISO ability. Given that the review points the 1/8 limitation out as a major failing of the camera, right in the summary text on the first page, and it actually isn't, it seems the review should be revised.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2010, 9:58 AM   #2

Ross, thanks for pointing this out. I will make note, and ask the reviewer who worked with the DMC-TS1 to look into this further.

If a mistake was made, rest assured we will update the review.

Thanks again for pointing this out to us!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 2:41 PM   #3

Ross, after speaking to our reviewer, he did note that it was the default setting in the conclusion, but not in the "Snap Shot". So, we've updated the review so it's not as vague.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:28 AM   #4

Default Good to see the text fixed, but

Good to see that you responded and the text has been revised. it would be nice to fix the underexposed images in the samples section as well, as their presence suggests that the camera cannot do better.

The 1/8 second thing is really only a limitation to 2 classes of users: someone with absolutely no technical knowledge at all (in which case they may well be better off, as it will prevent them trying to shoot with shutter speeds too long for the excellent IS, which I imagine is why Panasonic chose the default they did) or someone who understands what a shutter speed is and why you might want to change the default but does not ever read the manual or explore the menus, in which case what can I say?
Old May 18, 2010, 10:27 AM   #5

I agree with your points.

As far as replacing the samples, this is not possible as we no longer have the DMC-TS1 in house. I may however remove those dark images for the time being.

Thanks again for your input, it was greatly appreciated.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:27 PM   #6

Default Great, thanks again

Once again, thanks. Your site has been for years one of the 3-4 I regularly refer to for reviews and it's good to see you're concerned about quality control.