Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 16, 2010, 8:23 PM   #1

Default Panasonic ZR1

Hello Everyone:

I need to replace my old 3.3 MP Olympus Camedia 3040 zoom. I have seen the ZR1 on sale for less than $200 and I was wondering if the ZR1 is a decent enough camera for everyday use. I would be using the camera for landscape photography, and while attending the many Weddings in the coming months. Your opinions positive or negative would be appreciated.
Quartz
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2010, 9:09 PM   #2

It is a very good walk around pocket camera. With a very good lens, and decent 8x zoom. Pretty much it will do landscape and general photography very well. The wedding thing, none of the point and shoot will be good in the church. The lighting is just to low for any point and shoot except for the canon s90 or g11. But for the outdoor shots after the church, it will do fine. But for the reception or outdoor night shots. Again a point and shot will not give you great results. But if you are within 10ft the flash will be good to give you good photos. Forget about zoom when the light drops, it will give you horrible results with any point and shoot.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 9:32 PM   #3

Shoturtle:
Thanks for your reply. I do realize that a point and shoot has limitations and would not do well under low light situations, like you said it makes for a good pocket camera with a decent lens and 8x zoom and that's all one can ask for in that price range. Would increasing my budget to let's say $300-350 give me a much better camera aside for more zoom capacity. My main concern is Image quality.
Old May 16, 2010, 9:38 PM   #4

Not really, you just more zoom some manual control with the zs7 and zs3, and gps tagging with the zs7. But you give up battery life for that feature. But low light will not really improve going up to 300-350 dollars.

The ZR1 is a camera I am serious considering after seeing some sample from hards80 to replace my old olympus stylus.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Super Moderator

As Shoturtle has mentioned, I shoot with a ZR1 as my pocket cam, well one of them anyways. And it really is a great little camera, esp considering the price. the 25mm lens is a nice wide angle for landscapes, and overall the lens is really nice. image quality is sharp and saturated, video is pretty good too.

You would have to go up to an S90 or something before you would see a measurable improvement in image quality, and then it would really just be the low-light.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:27 AM   #6

Shoturtle and Hards80;
Thank you very much for your help. It looks like the ZR1 is what I'm looking for without breaking the bank. Decent lens with enough zoom and good picture quality. If size was not a concern of mine I would have chosen the FZ35 which would have allowed me some manual control.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:15 PM   #7

Please let us know how you like the ZR1 (if you decide to buy one) and if possible, post some images.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 4:44 PM   #8

So I purchased the ZR1 acouple of days ago, and since I had to go to Toronto this morning I took the ZR1 along to see how it performs. All photos were taken in iA what do you guys think of the quality of image.
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2010, 5:34 PM   #9

Well, IMO they look very very soft and lack definition. The building on the last picture seems to have an interesting architecture but the image is just not clear (I wonder how it will look at 100% crop). The little windows on the buildings look smudged. I think the images can be improved some in PP but more and more I feel like I want to pass on this one. Now, off course there is always a possibility that my monitor is at fault but...

My question is, what do you think of its IQ? Maybe I expect too much. I keep reading all these bad things about the Sony HX5 and how poorly it performs against the ZR1/ZSn cameras. I'm getting to the point where I feel I need to dig a bit deeper into the H55/HX5.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 5:40 PM   #10

That may be a compression problem with the board. Need to find out if the op got the filer down to the require 256k or lower file size. Slighter larger then that and the board crunches the shot.