Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 17, 2010, 7:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Exposure compensation would simply make the image darker or lighter, depending on the direction you moved it. You need to neutral density filter to allow a longer shutter speed that will give the water a more silky look.

With the ND filter, the exposure will be similar to what you actually used, just down the scale where shutter speeds are slower. One example: instead of something like 1/125 sec at f8, the exposure with a 2 stop ND filter would be 1/30 second at f4. The exposure of the scene is the same using either of these two settings, but the slower shutter speed fro the use of ND filter will make anything moving (like the water here) blur.
Okay. Thanks. That why I've started this thread. If ya'll keep "learnin" me I may make it from novice picture taker to almost amateur photographer.
ChuckJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 11:16 AM   #12

I think the camera did a great job on all images in terms of exposure. Particularly on the bridge shot. There is plenty of details in the shadowed area w/o severely blowing the highlight where the sun is shining through. I'd guess if you had knocked the exposure by -0.3 Ev the image would be perfect.

As Chuck mentioned, to give the water a cotton effect, you need to lower the shutter speed (quite a bit). By doing so, you must close the aperture all the way. Because P&S lenses usually go down to f8.0 max, it may not be enough to create an image that is not over exposed, reason why you may need an ND filter. The ND filter will cut down the light (as Greg explained). You also need either a monopod, tripod or something you can set the camera on to avoid camera shake.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 11:37 AM   #13

I liked the Bridge Photo. Nice shot.
NileLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 11:49 PM   #14

I'm thinking about getting a tripod. I'll also be on the lookout for a ND filter.

Here's another shot that is strangely appealing to me. It was 6:30 in the afternoon. I noticed that off in the distance the sun was shining through the clouds onto this little island like a spot light. The island is way off in the distance so I used the extended zoom to take the photo.

ChuckJ is offline   Reply With Quote