Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 19, 2010, 7:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Don't know maybe Greg will pipe in with some words of wisdom...while the Video is nice on the FZ35/38 I would opt for a dedicated video camera I.E. the Sanyo 1010HD or similar as it will take 8Mp pics as well as HD Video with a CMOS Sensor which is much better for videos...although the ones we have taken with the FZ35/38 have been satisfactory for me...

For Video's a Manfrotto Monopod with Fold Up Legs and a light weight head would be my choice for hiking/biking...of course tripod is the best the Manfrotto 190 would suffice for you and the FZ38....
I can help with technical advice - but for real world usage I'd have a chat with Jack (Setter Dog). He has a lot of video experience with both the FZ28 and FZ35.

In addition, while there are some aspects of dedicated camcorders that are superior to a still camera, they are far inferior when it comes to stills. My current knowledge is that even the absolute top of the line $2000 cams use interpolation to achieve their claimed still MP. In other words, their sensor does not physically have anywhere near the resolution of the FZ35. Nor is the imaging processor designed or optimized for jpegs. In addition most camcorders consider 35-40mmm wide angle (true!), and have a significantly slower lens than the Leica's.

If you look at the many examples of FZ35 videos on YouTube or Vimeo (make sure you select HQ/720), there are some exceptional videos.

In my personal opinion - unless you plan to do a LOT of videoing, then an FZ35 would be a better choice to handle both tasks, unless you are prepared to carry around 2 cameras.

The FZ35 also has full manual control, as well as creative effects and scene modes for it's videos, which are not generally available on any camcorders at a comparable price point.

16GB Class 6/10 cards are now only around the $50 mark, which can shoot 2 hours continuous HD 720p Dolby Stereo in the FZ35 (29 mins in the FZ38)

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Greg

Last edited by chillgreg; May 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:12 AM   #22

still i dont know why the fz38 can only shoot 29mins
i mean is it realy due to a pathetic E.U law
or no wait
the world can explode if europeans to much.
its B$ and now that i experience this bump with my fz38
next time i'l just order from the U.S
Unisol Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unisol Photography View Post
still i dont know why the fz38 can only shoot 29mins
i mean is it realy due to a pathetic E.U law
or no wait
the world can explode if europeans to much.
its B$ and now that i experience this bump with my fz38
next time i'l just order from the U.S
The limit of the FZ38's video recoding time (29m minutes or 4GB I'm guessing, which ever comes first) is due to the FAT 32 filing system used by most digicams. The maximum single files size that can be used with FAT 32 is 4GB (actually it's 4GB minus 1 byte).
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 10:16 AM   #24

so why can they make the fz35 an ntfs model that can shoot 2 hours
and make a special model for the EU the fz38 that can shoot only 30 and is in fat:S
Old May 19, 2010, 10:26 AM   #25

just looked it up it is an european law about taxes
if a camera can shoot longer then 30 minutes @ 23 fps @ 800x600 , then it belongs under the catagory of video-camera and then you pay 12,7% tax on it comparing it to the 4% of a photo-camera then its a difference.
so thats why the fz38 is limited compared to the fz35
panasonic whas smart enough to put restriction on it
Old May 19, 2010, 10:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unisol Photography View Post
just looked it up it is an european law about taxes
if a camera can shoot longer then 30 minutes @ 23 fps @ 800x600 , then it belongs under the catagory of video-camera and then you pay 12,7% tax on it comparing it to the 4% of a photo-camera then its a difference.
so thats why the fz38 is limited compared to the fz35
panasonic whas smart enough to put restriction on it
Well, that right there tells you why they kept FAT 32 on the FZ38. That stinks too, and I can't believe that they have a tax increase because of a camera's features.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 8:05 PM   #27

Very impressive indeed! Maybe I should consider the ZS6 since I don't care for GPS. The thing is, Costco has it for $290 + 9.25% CA sales tax. Amazon has the ZS7 for $313 (no tax or s/h), which in the end is about $3 cheaper. The Costco advantages are: bonus leather camera case + 2 Gb SD card and a 90-day return policy. The Amazon advantages are: upgraded model w/ GPS and a 30-day return policy with no restocking fee. Hard decision to make. What do you guys think?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 8:23 PM   #28

The other thing to consider is video function, if that matters to you. I understand the ZS7 has a button to push to engage video (I assume like the FZ35), while the ZS6 has an EZ zoom button in its place. To engage video you have to choose it on the settings dial. Wouldn't be an issue for me, I don't think, but for some people it seems to be a deal breaker.

Tough choice. Since I have to pay tax on Amazon purchases, the price difference would be bigger ZS6 would be cheaper). But I think I might still opt for the Costco deal even if the ZS7 were the same price as the ZS6. The case is helpful and 90 days is a nice amount of time to make sure you really like the camera. 30 days goes by pretty fast. Plus if you do decide to return it for some reason, you don't have to worry about paying shipping to send it back -- just drop it off at a local store.

My two cents - opinions subject to change

Last edited by Jazzer251; May 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:20 PM   #29

My thoughts exactly. I also don't care about the dedicated video button since I don't shoot video that often. Having the EZ zoom may be much more useful to me.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote