Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 24, 2010, 5:26 PM   #1

Default Help,how to get sharp pic with FZ35?

Im a bit of a beginner and am really struggling with a project Im doing.I said Id take a family picture (outdoors) and have it put on a canvas (approx 16in square) for mother in laws 50th bday.Ive taken a few shots but they are too grainy, not sharp enough to blow up.Can anyone with FZ35 experience help me with the best settings, mode ect to use. I am doing it on a tripod and using the timer as I need to be in picture too if this makes a difference.I dont want to admit defeat and am sure this camara has the ability to take a good enough quality picture,even if I dont
rachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2010, 7:44 PM   #2

rachy-

Yes, you are very correct. The FZ-35 is very capable. For sharpness, I would suggest you use spot focus. For graininess, this seem to be an indication that you have allowed the ISO setting to go too high. Controlling your lighting and using flash when required is essential. Also keep in mind that the power of the FZ-35's built-in flash unit is limited! The flash range (the distance, measured in feet), for the FZ-35's built-in flash unit should never exceed 12 feet.

If you could post some photo samples we can be more specific in helping you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 2:20 PM   #3

Thankyou for getting back to me but if possible i need step by step guidence as I am new to photography and this camara.I really need what mode to be on then what settings to change in that mode and how.Sorry but the more the better.I will try to upload photos if that helps.
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2010, 2:35 PM   #4

First of all, you're allowing the ISO to jump up way too high - it's going up to ISO 1600. Turn off auto-ISO and set ISO to 200. 100 would be preferable but you might start to show some unwanted motion blur from people as your shutter speeds could drop below 1/100.

Second step - all 3 photos are over-exposed. You should take a test shot behind the camera and check the results. Dial in negative exposure compensation (since you're in aperture priority mode). With such a large print and such a small sensor on the camera you don't want to make a lot of exposure adjustments in post processing. Still, shoot in RAW and you'll have more leeway to correct these over-exposures.

There's no reason to shoot another mode besides Aperture priority now. Manual is always best but that's problematic. Switching to auto or Programmed Auto won't improve exposures because the camera is still determining the exposure. BUT, taking a couple test shots will allow you to adjust exposure compensation so the shot is properly exposed prior to the "official" shots. And by the way - take 3 "official" shots - there is always someone blinking, looking the wrong way or otherwise damaging the final photo. Not a big deal at 4" prints but at 16" it is very noticeable.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 4:19 PM   #5

I tried some shots in my garden just now then put them on our HD tv to check quality on large size but they are still of a similar quaility to my ones I posted. I had camara on tripod with timer set, it is in aperture priority with iso 200, F8.0, Exposure -1/3, LCD mode off, white balance cloudy, AF mode spot, metering mode on multimetering, Stabalizer auto, Raw, Aspect ratio 3.2, Af, picture adj on sharpness+2 and noise reduction-2. (as you can tell I ran through full menu). If there is anything there that sounds wrong to anyone please let me know as Im pulling my hair out and running out of time, Thankyou.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:22 PM   #6

Hi Rachy!

I always use ISO 80, I found that when using ISO 200 or ISO 400 the noise becomes noticiable at 100 % crops.
If you shoot in RAW you have to tweak it in some RAW editor like SILKYPIX, Adobe Camera RAW 5.6, etc, because raws produced by the camera are much noisier than JPEG's.
I think the JPEGs produce by the VENUS ENGINE are really awesome! so i'm never use RAW.
One more thing... If you place your camera on a tripod turn off the POWER O.I.S because this feature will search for vibrations that not exist (using the tripod) causing blurred images.
Finally my PICT ADJ: saturation +1, contrast 0, NR 0, Sharpness +2

Two examples, The first (the tunnel) was take in nearly complete darkness with 60 secs of shutter speed. Both are straight out of the camera (no post production)
Hope that this helps you!
Attached Images

Last edited by Edufloyd; May 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 6:39 AM   #7

Wow, your pictures are beautiful, I just hope I can achieve that level one day. I will get straight on and try some shots with your suggested settings but just to sound really dumb, what is the power 0.I.S and how do I find it and turn it off.I know...Duh
Old May 27, 2010, 8:25 AM   #8

OIS = Optical Image Stabilizer

The quick way to turn it off--push the "Q-Menu" button on the back of the camera. OIS is the icon in the upper left. Use the Q-Menu button to toggle up or down to turn it off.

And don't feel dumb. With some test shots and a little tweaking, you'll have some great photos!

Laurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachy View Post
Wow, your pictures are beautiful, I just hope I can achieve that level one day. I will get straight on and try some shots with your suggested settings but just to sound really dumb, what is the power 0.I.S and how do I find it and turn it off.I know...Duh

Last edited by laurel99; May 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM.
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 8:28 AM   #9

Rachy the power ois is the "anti shake" feature the camera has.
You have to turn off using the quick menu. Press the joystick and navigate to the far left, there you have the power ois options: w1, w2, OFF, auto.
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 12:17 PM   #10

I did a tester shot in my garden on your recommended settings and didnt think it looked too bad for quick snap shot(nothing fancy) but put it on photobox to check quality if blown up and it said it was low quality.Who woud you go to to print of a canvas and is it obvious from pic what is wrong(wil upload for you)
Attached Images