Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 26, 2010, 9:59 AM   #1

Default First pic upload and rookie question

Finally took my FZ35 out for a spin a couple of weeks ago to Provincetown, MA. Took ~50 pictures, viewed, cropped and tuned in Picasa, and the girlfriend and I figured the following three are the best of the bunch. She expressed interest in having these printed to mount on the kitchen wall. So I ordered three 8x10 prints from CVS. Pick them up today and realize that I made a bonehead rookie mistake. $12 wasted, oh well, live and learn. I cropped the images in Picasa in such a way that what I wanted, did not show up in the final print. Question to you, oh wise forum inhabitants, how to I go about acquiring the prints I want? Link to Picasa album, the examples seen are what the girlfriend requested the final cropped prints to look like, and is what I sent to CVS.

Now that I think about it, seems like the best bet is to print them in 8x10, and crop them afterwards? Sorry for the rookie question, I'm totally new to this.
numnutz6383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2010, 11:24 AM   #2

I may be off base here but when you make edits in Picasa, the changes will not flow through to the actual file unless you expressly save it or export it. Picasa is designed that way so the original is protected unless you want to over-write it. I usually choose the "save a coy" option and it creates a new file with the changes and simply adds a "-1" to the file name. My original remains as is.
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 11:27 AM   #3

numnutz-

Whenever you have your prints done commercially they will be using standard sizes like 5 X 7 and 8 X 10, if your cropping does not follow those standard guide lines you will not like the prints. So you must crop and save using standard sizes. By the way the lighthouse photo has way too much foreground in it.

Sarah Joyce.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Administrator

You can use Picasa for cropping. When viewing an image, just click on the crop feature under the main Basic Fixes section (which is probably what you did to crop them).

But, you'll need to select the correct Aspect Ratio (Ratio of Width to Height) from the drop down list (and 8x10" will be one of the choices), versus leaving it on Manual. That way, the crop box will have the correct ratio of width to height for the print size you want to use.

After cropping the image to the desired Aspect Ratio (for example, 8x10" if that's the print size you want to use), click on the Export Icon at the bottom of the screen, select a folder to save the photo in, making sure to click on the "original size" button so that it doesn't downsize it. That will save the cropped version of the image to the selected folder. Then, upload them to your printer of choice.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 1:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
numnutz-

Whenever you have your prints done commercially they will be using standard sizes like 5 X 7 and 8 X 10, if your cropping does not follow those standard guide lines you will not like the prints. So you must crop and save using standard sizes. By the way the lighthouse photo has way too much foreground in it.

Sarah Joyce.
I was trying to achieve a "fake panorama" effect by cropping that Scott Kelby mentioned in his book. Would it be better to just print out as big of a print from the original picture as possible (in this case 8x10) and when it arrives, crop it manually using cutters?

I'll adjust the picture, I also remember Kelby saying in his book that if the sky isn't interesting, make the water the primary thing the eye will see.

I also looked at Shutterfly and they have the option to get the print in an 8x10 with the cropped out space as a white border, which I'm is also an option.
numnutz6383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 7:45 PM   #6

numnutz-

Improving that sky is exactly what photo editing is all about. A program like Photoshop Elements 8.0 is pretty easy to use. Here is a photo from our recent cruise to Alaska where I adjusted the sky using PSE 8.0

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote