Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 26, 2010, 9:36 AM   #1

Default First time poster - FZ35 at Air & Space Museum

Hey, folks -

Thanks to the copious amounts of reviews and tips I've found on this site, I ended up picking up a FZ35 for my camera needs. It's been about 15 years since I owned a camera that wasn't a quick shooter (not that the FZ35 isn't capable of quick shots, but there's a lot of features to play with...). I hopped over to the National Air & Space Museum Annex a week or so ago, just to get some learning time in with the camera, and to play with a few of the features.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11617741...umAnnex051510#

Comments
1) None of these photos are cropped and edited yet, as most of you can probably tell. Some of the shots would benefit. Despite my best efforts to frame my shots, I'm downright rusty!

2) The lighting conditions in the museum weren't optimal - Most of the interior lighting was of the industrial variety, with some natural sunlight coming in from the various windows you can see in the pictures. It was fearfully dark. Given most of these shots were just done on iA mode, with no flash or additional help on lighting, they came out reasonably well, but there's quite a bit of grain when looking close up. Next time, tripod and longer exposures! To note - the stabilization system did sterling work - there was a lot fewer shots that were ruined by blur than I expected!

3) I also tested the zoom-in feature on some of the candid airliner shots of planes landing at Dulles International. And I also played with the panoramic shot feature with the photo of the Concorde at the end of the album. Came out decently, I think.

4) Next time I come to the museum, I'm going to have to get a wide-angle lens - some of these planes are just too big for a proper shot, especially the Concorde and the SR-71 Blackbird. Any suggestions on lenses, folks?

Overall - I'm happy with the camera. I wanted a camera that could equally satisfy my need to tinker and jiggly-poke through settings in my shots, yet give my wife the satisfaction of a camera that was equally at home taking a fuss-free shot.

Now, to actually remember even half of the stuff I forgot about photography....

Last edited by FlimFlam; May 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM. Reason: Added direct link to folder
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2010, 10:11 AM   #2

FlimFlam-

That is a really excellent series of photos. You have done a very good job indeed for your first outing/posting with photos from your new FZ-35 camera. You have obviously worked with cameras before and understand exposure and White Balance.

Well done!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:20 AM   #3

Very nice!

Thank you for sharing.
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 2:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
FlimFlam-

That is a really excellent series of photos. You have done a very good job indeed for your first outing/posting with photos from your new FZ-35 camera. You have obviously worked with cameras before and understand exposure and White Balance.

Well done!

Sarah Joyce
Thanks, Sarah. Though I have to admit, I didn't so much as understand the white balance as much as I just gave up and let the camera decide, to be honest. The combination of the incandescent lighting and the shaded light was giving me fits! If I set my WB for the shade, the hues from the lighting would get too strong. If I set it the other way, it was the blues acting up...

Now that I have a tripod, I'll be going in for another revisit after my trip out of town this weekend, though. Then I'll really start playing with the settings.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:00 PM   #5

FlimFlam-

Tough situations like the Aeronautics & Space Museum Annex take some experimentation and usually several visits. The shot from your initial visit were a very impressive beginning.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 28, 2010, 7:13 AM   #6

Hi FlimFlam,

these are great pictures. I very much enjoyed the slide show.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 8:57 AM   #7

Sarah -

I know it's going to take experimentation, but my head mildly spins at how I'm going to counter that clash of lighting. I might have to try a different time of the day, with the hope that the light coming in through those narrow-slit windows at a different angle overpowers the lamps. I'd really hate to turn the SR-71 Blackbird into the SR-71 Bird Of Paradise, or the SR-71 Oriole, or something equally as bad. Matte black finish + weird curves + conflicting lighting might just do my head in....

Cherokee Outlaw, joho - Glad you enjoyed them!
Old May 28, 2010, 9:47 AM   #8

FlimFlam-

A different time of day is a good idea. Give it a try.

Sarah Joyce