Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:02 PM   #21

Default whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzicman61 View Post
Thanks. I will certainly use a lot of the AI and scene settings. The only digital cameras I've had in the past were on my cell phone. Didn't think the FZ35 was really considered in the DSLR category?
sorry, too many threads too quick. got mixed up. happened before once too.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:18 PM   #22

Hi again Jean,

Since I’m laid up with a cough (good excuse to not do Honey-dos), I thought I’d share a few more things I screwed up on and learned along the way.

TAKING FLASH PHOTOS:
Remove the lens hood! - Remove the lens hood! - Remove the lens hood!
- Popping indoors at a daytime function to take a flash photo - Remove the lens hood.
- Shooting outdoors and want to do a fill flash for back lit scene - Remove the lens hood.
- Going to an indoor or night function when last shooting was outdoors - Remove the lens hood.
- Why? - Leaving the lens hood on and using the built-in flash will cast a shadow in every picture.

GETTING THE BEST FOCUS & EXPOSURE FOR TOUGH SUBJECTS:

PROBLEM-1:
At a graduation ceremony, you’re sitting within flash range but have to shoot between heads unless you stand up. Or at the post graduation congratulations at dusk, you have to shoot using flash between people standing in front of you. You find that the pictures are of nicely exposed flash on the back of heads but the graduate is very underexposed.
SOLUTION:
Switch metering mode to SPOT. Then the flash exposures will be based on your target and not on the back of heads or bodies.

PROBLEM-2:
You’re shooting through a doorway into a dimly lit room. You may or may not use flash. The door frame is nicely exposed but the subject is very underexposed.
SOLUTION:
Whether you use flash or not, set metering mode to SPOT. Then the exposures will be based on your target and not the door frame.

PROBLEM-3:
You’re shooting a bird through some branches. The foreground branches are in focus but the bird is out of focus.
SOLUTION:
Set Auto Focus to SPOT.

As you can see, when ever you have problems getting proper focus or exposure, in a pinch switch both to spot to overcome the immediate problem. You can figure out how to better overcome certain situations later.

PS: I added a note explaining the histogram in my post #14 on page-2.
And nice twilight pic Mamuco.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 1, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:39 AM   #23

Thans Skylark, one more time, your tips was about some problems I knew in the past with my previous -low budget- camera.
It seems easy to solve thanks to the spot mode.
I hope the weather will be good this week end, so I could make nice photo of the "Vosges" french mountains to thank you
jeanfrancois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:54 PM   #24

Ok, I made some shots tonigth near my appartment (around 9 PM).

The ligth was quite dark/grey.

If you have some advice, please feel free to comment ;o)

I had some difficulties with finding rigth parameters for low ligth.
I had some difficulties with macro too... Indeed I only succeed to make them with the Spot Focus mode, and it was quite difficult (but I was 30-40 cm away from the flowers.. maybe it was a source of problem...).

Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:08 PM   #25

Nice shots - I especially like the first

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:22 PM   #26

Great shots Jean. What kind of birds are those? I love how they "both" were checking you out as much as you were checking them out.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:30 AM   #27

Thanks. I tried to play wit EVF and spot focus mainly for those.

The birds are white ciconia / white stork ("cigogne blanche" in french). They migrate from europe to africa all along the year.
More info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciconia

Cheers,

JF.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:50 PM   #28

As promised :
two-three pictures (compressed and max zoom for the little animal ^^) from my last walk (for 3 more go to my flickr site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:01 AM   #29

I have read this post with great interest. Yesterday i bought the FZ38 and I need to learn a lot. On my last camera, Fuji 8000fd, i only ever used the auto function and never learnt how to use the camera properly. This time i would like to learn how to use this camera to its best advantage. I consider myself a total, real total, novice since only using the auto mode so Sarah - how do i set the auto iso, spot metering etcetera you mention.
Is there an apps for the itouch i could get to help me learn?
Frank - the cheat sheet is a forign language to me, lol.
I have the histograme on the screen now but also many other symbols as i have been playing around with the camera and not sure what i do need to have dispalyed on the back.
I am feeling like a real thickit so easy baby steps to follow would be great as in the very basics - like where and how to find things and how and why they work.
Hope it is ok to ask as i am sure i can't be the only newbie.
Many thanks in advance for all and any help
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
I have read this post with great interest. Yesterday i bought the FZ38 and I need to learn a lot. On my last camera, Fuji 8000fd, i only ever used the auto function and never learnt how to use the camera properly. This time i would like to learn how to use this camera to its best advantage. I consider myself a total, real total, novice since only using the auto mode so Sarah - how do i set the auto iso, spot metering etcetera you mention.
Is there an apps for the itouch i could get to help me learn?
Frank - the cheat sheet is a forign language to me, lol.
I have the histograme on the screen now but also many other symbols as i have been playing around with the camera and not sure what i do need to have dispalyed on the back.
I am feeling like a real thickit so easy baby steps to follow would be great as in the very basics - like where and how to find things and how and why they work.
Hope it is ok to ask as i am sure i can't be the only newbie.
Many thanks in advance for all and any help
E.
Hey Eysha!

Good choice - one thing's for certain - you will have a lot of fun with this awesome camera!.

You will also no doubt get lots of help from everyone here at Steve's, it really is the best forum by far, especially for Panasonic.

If I can make some suggestions for you to get started:

1. Print the manual (yeah we all know that sux), get cosy and have a good old play. Take photos pertaining to each section of the manual. Don't worry if you don't "get it" all the first time, but you will pick up on some important basics of the camera's operation, understanding the menus, what the Scene modes do etc.

2. Now go outside and practise in the backyard on just one of two areas that interest you to start with. Take heaps of photos, playing with any settings you want. Don't be afraid to experiment! :-)

3. Now put them on your computer and take a look. Are there any that are really great? Are there some that didn't turn out the way you expected? Post those here for some critique.

4. This forum is a wealth of information on just about everything photographic. Most things you come up against will likely have already been asked by someone else, and answered in detail. So at the top of the main Panasonic forum page you'll see the Search button. Try searching for something you want to work on say "macro" or "low light" for example.

So have some fun and you will progress much faster than you expect.

Take care
Greg

Last edited by chillgreg; Jun 8, 2010 at 8:48 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote