Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 30, 2010, 10:05 PM   #1

Default My first week with the ZS7

Thank you to LTZ470 with the help picking a cam. I picked this up literally the day before my trip to Mexico so I had to try and figure things out on the fly. Any tips are appreciated as I'm very much a beginner. I definitely love the camera so far though.

Polidore22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2

With images like this, you sure don't need tips. Very, very nice.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 10:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
With images like this, you sure don't need tips. Very, very nice.
Thank you very much for the kind words, but I promise you the camera did most of the work. The flower shot I love because the flash was accidental (I also took a non-flash that came out nice, but not as cool) and it came out moody/great. I have yet to figure out if iauto, or the other modes take the best photos, but the ZS7 hasn't taken too many poor photos no matter what settings I play with.
Polidore22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polidore22 View Post
Thank you very much for the kind words, but I promise you the camera did most of the work. The flower shot I love because the flash was accidental (I also took a non-flash that came out nice, but not as cool) and it came out moody/great. I have yet to figure out if iauto, or the other modes take the best photos, but the ZS7 hasn't taken too many poor photos no matter what settings I play with.
You have discovered what I (and probably all the other ZSx owners) have discovered. It's almost difficult to get a bad image with these things! I got my ZS3 as a carry-with-me-everywhere camera not expecting the ease with which it gets great images. I just put it in iAuto and let fly. The macro capabilities are unbelievable. Just enjoy and have fun with it because I think that's what Panasonic had in mind for it. It's just a fun camera that produces great images with no effort. I just wish it could make my coffee.
My Gallery

--
Old May 30, 2010, 10:52 PM   #5

i like this camera .if only they could get the light streaks out of the video section i,d be sold .
does anyone know if the zs3 suffers this same fate??
johndoe03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 9:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe03 View Post
i like this camera .if only they could get the light streaks out of the video section i,d be sold .
does anyone know if the zs3 suffers this same fate??
If you are judging the video on a still-shot camera, you need to buy a video camera.
My Gallery

--
Old May 31, 2010, 9:16 AM   #7

I'm with Gary...with shots like those...maybe you could give us a few tips!!! I agree wholeheartedly...great camera the ZS7 is...I am very happy with mine...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polidore22 View Post
...I have yet to figure out if iauto, or the other modes take the best photos, ...
Very nice start! I have the ZS7 in the box (still) and I'm currently testing the ZS3. One thing I can say about iAUTO, don't use it if shooting close ups. The camera will most likely not focus where you wish. It selects the focus points based on I don't know what but I was trying to photograph some flowers and could not for the life of me get the ZS3 to focus where I wanted it, no matter where I pointed the camera to (and I was not that close from the subject). From what I've seen, the ZS7 seems to be a nice little camera. I might just go for it and return the ZS3. It is hard not having any control over the camera.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Very nice start! I have the ZS7 in the box (still) and I'm currently testing the ZS3. One thing I can say about iAUTO, don't use it if shooting close ups. The camera will most likely not focus where you wish. It selects the focus points based on I don't know what but I was trying to photograph some flowers and could not for the life of me get the ZS3 to focus where I wanted it, no matter where I pointed the camera to (and I was not that close from the subject). From what I've seen, the ZS7 seems to be a nice little camera. I might just go for it and return the ZS3. It is hard not having any control over the camera.
For me, the whole purpose of purchasing this camera was having a point & shoot without having to fiddle. Keeping it simple. I have the E-620 and the HS-10 if I want to play like that.
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe03 View Post
i like this camera .if only they could get the light streaks out of the video section i,d be sold.
What brand of memory are you using? I've seen posts about periodic beeps while recording video using SanDisk and Panasonic memory. The OP reported that the beeps went away when he switched to Transcend memory.

Wonder if your light streaks could be memory related?

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote