Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 31, 2010, 8:34 PM   #1

Default SD card / case recommendations (SZ3)

Hello,

After searching through the forum and not finding anything definitive, I would appreciate it if there is a recommended SD card size (level 6) for the SZ3. What is the typical file size?

Also, I recall seeing a great looking belt case but I can't find that thread either (duh) ....again a recommendation would be great.

Thanks in advance
vwcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2010, 10:07 PM   #2

I got a Silicon Power (recommended by Tom's Hardware) 16GB Class 10 SDHD card for AUD$52 on eBay. That's the optimum for the ZS3, ZS7, and FZ35 as it allows 2 hours uninterrupted AVCHD video at the highest quality setting (4 hours at the lowest). The battery is rated for 150 minutes, so that works out quite nicely...

Hope that helps
Greg :-)
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:10 AM   #3

If you do not know the seller, I would avoid ebay. Allot of fakes cards there, that are hacked. But ebay is where I get allot of batteries for my cameras.

With the ZS3 you will not need more then a class 6 cards. If you plan on doing allot of video, get a 16gb or 2 8gb. HD eats up allot of space.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:32 AM   #4

Regarding a case for SD cards, I bought an aluminum one like this from eBay:

I don't remember the seller I bought it from but here's one on eBay now that is selling this case: (Cannot vouch for this seller)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-SD-...item3eff13df1e

Best regards,
Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:38 AM   #5

Default eBay is OK for SD Cards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you do not know the seller, I would avoid ebay. Allot of fakes cards there, that are hacked. But ebay is where I get allot of batteries for my cameras.

With the ZS3 you will not need more then a class 6 cards. If you plan on doing allot of video, get a 16gb or 2 8gb. HD eats up allot of space.
Dear Shoturtle

I have followed your many cautionary notes about eBay carefully - thank you.

The seller has a 99.9% satisfaction rating with over 4000 transactions, and I was also able to see from the photo that it was a genuine factory sealed Silicon Power, not a Chinese Sandisk lookalike knock-off.

Quote from Tom's review:
"Lexar, Silicon Power, and Transcend all share second place when it comes to throughput. They all reach nearly 20 MB/s for reads and a bit more than 18 MB/s for writes."

I also downloaded the testing utility H2testw that you recommended, and it validated my card as 100% integrity.

I also tested the performance in-camera, and was able to exceed the 100-shot claimed by Panasonic in High Speed Burst mode, and recorded maximum quality AVCHD till the battery ran out, which was about 3 hours. (static test subject)

Again thanks for your cautions, they are very well founded, but the Silicon Power are half the price on eBay of an equivalent brand name at the shops.

So I feel it is safe to buy SD cards off eBay as long as one takes the same precautions as with any purchase online.

Links at bottom

Cheers
Greg :-)

Silicon Power Unleashes SDHC Class 10 16GB! 2009-10-29

eBay Item link US $48.45

Tom's Hardware Review

Last edited by chillgreg; Jun 1, 2010 at 2:40 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:05 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
eBay Item link US $48.45
In the U.S., the Transcend Class 10 cards are a good bet. You can buy a 16GB Class 10 for $46.99 with free shipping from newegg.com. I buy all of my memory cards and PC related items from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ass+10&x=0&y=0
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:40 AM   #7

Thanks guys!
vwcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote