Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2003, 4:13 PM   #1

Default Need advice on use of filters with DMC-FZ10

Hello,

I'm an amateur photographer and just got my Panasonic DMC-FZ10. A friend recommended the Tiffen 72mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=photo).

The kit consists of UV protector, Circular polarizer and 812 color warming filter. All of them seem very useful for the kind of photographs I want to take, but the FZ10 also contains some menu settings to change the colour effect (Cool/Warm/BW), brightness, contrast, etc.

My question: The UV filter could double as lens protector so is still useful. But are the 812 color warming filter or the circular polarizer filter necessary? Could they bring any other benefits (say, when compared to the digital warming done by the FZ10)?

Thanks!
ML
mungerilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2003, 4:23 PM   #2

you don't need all theses filters !
just buy the the polarized filter !
flysurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysurfing
you don't need all theses filters !
just buy the the polarized filter !
You'll want the UV filter to protect the lens. If you scratch the filter, it will cost you less than $5 to replace it. If you scratch the lens... well, let's just say it will cost more than $5.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:07 AM   #4

This is a debate that occurs in the pro as well as amateur ranks -- "protect" the lens with a filter or not? I recently read an article that said that "most" pro photographers are not using filters as protection for their lenses, and that they are either just more careful with them or use a rubber hood to deflect any accidental impacts with a wall, person, etc. A UV filter is not going to protect your lens from a significant impact -- it would just shatter them both. I've also heard stories of a UV filters getting cracked, falling apart, and then the pieces of filter scratching the lens, whereas since the lens itself is more recessed than a filter sitting at the absolute end, who knows if the original impact would've even affected the lens? Basically, true accidents aside, if you find yourself scratching your lens all up or banging your camera into things, then you're probably not taking care of your camera as well as you should.

All that being said, a UV filter is supposed to reduce "haze", but they've never done much for me. I own one for my FZ1, but it's only used to sandwich a Lee 87 gel infrared filter to the FZ1's lens. I recently bought a Hoya R72 threaded infrared filter for my FZ1, so the UV filter will probably not be used again.

A polarizer is the most useful of the three filters you mentioned. You can even leave it on all the time as a "lens protector" if you want to subscribe to that sort of thing, but it does its real work outside by reducing non-metalic glare and reflection and blue-ing up the sky, and it is also useful for taking pictures of things behind glass by eliminating your reflection. Make sure you get a circular polarizer and not a linear.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 5:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
A UV filter is not going to protect your lens from a significant impact -- it would just shatter them both.
Well, you really don't take enough care of your camera if you expose it to 'significant impact' What I believe the UV or maybe better Skylight filter to do is to protect lens from scratches or fingerprints. Even those can be more easily and safely removed form the filter than the front element of the lens.
Quote:
A polarizer is the most useful of the three filters you mentioned. You can even leave it on all the time as a "lens protector" if you want to subscribe to that sort of thing, but it does its real work outside by reducing non-metalic glare and reflection and blue-ing up the sky, and it is also useful for taking pictures of things behind glass by eliminating your reflection. Make sure you get a circular polarizer and not a linear.
I'm looking for a polarizer now too. I have couple of questions about it:
1. If you say you can leave it always on, you always have to sacrifice effective 2 or 3 F-stops, am I right?
2. Why you are recommending using circular one? Shene writes on his digicam guide that you can use either one with non dSLR cameras.
Martin
MartinCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:28 AM   #6

Well, if you're letting your lens get scratched, you're not really taking care of your camera either. Fingerprints I could maybe understand (I guess), but even then if you're taking care of your camera properly and holding it properly, you're not even going to get finger prints on the lens. I don't know -- I'm just really careful with my cameras and have never had a problem with the lens even coming close to getting damaged in any way. I did remember another thing I've used the UV filter for on my FZ1 -- going to the beach on a windy and using the filter and the barrel adapter to keep the salt, moister, and sand off the lens. I guess UV filters can serve their purpose as protectors under some conditions, but I don't think it's necessary to leave them on all the time, and you also have to realize that it signficantly increases the size of the snout on the FZ1/FZ10 to have that barrel adapter and filter on it all the time.

It's my understanding that linear polarizers can cause problems with autofocus lenses, and that's the reason you need a circular one. Could be wrong, but that's what I've read on all the filter sites, including B&H and several other big-name camera shops.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
I guess UV filters can serve their purpose as protectors under some conditions, but I don't think it's necessary to leave them on all the time, and you also have to realize that it signficantly increases the size of the snout on the FZ1/FZ10 to have that barrel adapter and filter on it all the time.
Well, if you are going to be using filters on your FZ1/10 wouldn't it be wise to leave the adapter on all the time? Otherwise, when you are out shooting and see a shot that would look good with "x" filter attached, you need to (1) fish around your camera bag for the adapter, (2) remove the metal ring on the end of the lens, (3) attach the adapter, (4) find the filter, (5) attach the filter....

I keep my adapter w/UV filter on at all times. I also have the flare guard on in the inverted position at all times. That way if I need to flare guard it is right there and when I want a filter I just slap it right on there.

I have a Velocity 5 camera bag, by Tamrac and the FZ1 w/adapter fits in the bag just fine.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote