Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Decided to return my wife's ZS7

Bought a ZS7 for my wife and was very happy with the excellent quality of daytime outdoor photos in iA and P modes. At first I thought that the indoor quality was at least good but that was taking shots of objects in our home. But later taking shots of people, try as I might I was not able to get rid of the over processed look of people's faces indoors using flash.

Today I went back and looked at the indoor photos we took using her 5 year old 7.1 MP Canon SD550 on my 22 inch LCD monitor and they look darn good at 100%! No over processed look to try to correct a noisy pixel crammed 12 MP small sensor.

So the ZS7 goes back and I'm going to try to repair the cracked LCD on her SD550.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:21 AM   #2

The ZS7 is a good camera in good lighting. But you SD550 has a larger sensor close to the S90 at 1/1.8 vs the 1/2.23 of the zs7. The only camera that can match your SD550 in low light is canon S90 on panasonic LX3 with the 1/1.6 sensor.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The ZS7 is a good camera in good lighting. But you SD550 has a larger sensor close to the S90 at 1/1.8 vs the 1/2.23 of the zs7. The only camera that can match your SD550 in low light is canon S90 on panasonic LX3 with the 1/1.6 sensor.
Whoa shoturtle, that is unexpected really good to know info! I never even thought to check the sensor size.

I just looked at a "Sensor Sizes" writeup and the 1/1.8" sensor looks huge compared to a 1/2.7" sensor. The SD550 has 7.1 MP on that larger sensor so the sensor pixels must really be huge compared to the 12 MP on the ZS7's smaller sensor.

Thanks much for pointing that out. Very observant indeed!
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 6, 2010 at 1:39 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:00 AM   #4

Yeah, there is only 2 point and shoot camera currently that perform well in low light, the S90 and LX3, but you lose the longer zoom with that low light ability.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:42 AM   #5

This actually goes along with my current findings, the indoor shots on ZS7 even at 3.3fstop/80-125 iso, adequate exposure and shot from a tripod are much noisier then I would like. I'm trying to work out the kinks having used canon's p&s cameras exclusively prior to this purchase. Will do a write-up later.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
This actually goes along with my current findings, the indoor shots on ZS7 even at 3.3fstop/80-125 iso, adequate exposure and shot from a tripod are much noisier then I would like. I'm trying to work out the kinks having used canon's p&s cameras exclusively prior to this purchase. Will do a write-up later.
Looking forward to your write-up.
Sky
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:47 AM   #7

If you get the ZS7 in some decent lighting it is quite a performer and take off all the "i" settings...it is a very impressive camera for me...I have an S90 Canon coming for indoor low light, but it is so lacking in zoom it will only be used indoors at dinner's or birthdays, etc...at night...I have found if the indoors is well lit from daylight and/or white interior with good lighting the ZS7 performs very well for me especially at 4X6 prints...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:03 PM   #8

LTZ and Skylark-

That is exactly why a Slave Flash is the answer to indoor photos that show too much NR (noise reduction) and have that watercolor painting look to them. A Slave Flash adds light. And depending on the design and size of the Slave Flash, you can add a little light, or a lot of light.

A Slave Flash can really improve your indoor photos with any Panasonic Z-series cameras. Good indoor photos are indeed possible. Take a look at the attached link.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...49_NA7UJ-L.jpg
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:21 PM   #9

That is an awesome photo Sarah...I was just really looking for a small indoor camera to get some great indoor shots on a cruise....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
LTZ and Skylark-

That is exactly why a Slave Flash is the answer to indoor photos that show too much NR (noise reduction) and have that watercolor painting look to them. A Slave Flash adds light. And depending on the design and size of the Slave Flash, you can add a little light, or a lot of light.

A Slave Flash can really improve your indoor photos with any Panasonic Z-series cameras. Good indoor photos are indeed possible. Take a look at the attached link.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...49_NA7UJ-L.jpg
Thanks for posting that link to your photo Sarah. It really shows how a slave flash can help light challanged compact P&S cameras.

Sky