Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polidore22 View Post
Interesting LT. Do you use these settings at all times? Also, what kind of settings do you use for your macros? Anything special? I'm still toying with mine and some of your macros are stunning.
Nothing special...I did set the NR back to 0 to test a few more...Sarah sets the Sat and Sharp to +1...so I followed her lead and this is good for 90% of the shots I take...keeping the camera stabilized when
focuing and then sqeezing the shutter is the most important thing for myself as I blur shots by taking them too quickly...and not paying attention to steadying the camera or bracing it properly...catch the evening sun around 4-6 to shoot...morning sun around 7-9 CST...the light is really great then for excellent macros...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Nothing special...I did set the NR back to 0 to test a few more...Sarah sets the Sat and Sharp to +1...so I followed her lead and this is good for 90% of the shots I take...keeping the camera stabilized when
focuing and then sqeezing the shutter is the most important thing for myself as I blur shots by taking them too quickly...and not paying attention to steadying the camera or bracing it properly...catch the evening sun around 4-6 to shoot...morning sun around 7-9 CST...the light is really great then for excellent macros...
Awesome, thank you. Focus mode? Spot?
Polidore22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
desolateone-

We need a specific question about a certain feature or camera setting. Understandably, we cannot teach you the entire camera, but we are happy to answer specific questions.

Sarah Joyce
Ok, sounds good. As issues pop up, I will definitely bring them to the attention of the thread.....

The Desolate One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Sarah you usually have a very good tutorial on Programmed Auto...for a starting point...

DesolateOne the blurry shots are more than likely caused by low lighting and camera movement when taking pictures with low lighting...the ZS7 will do the same if you move it while taking a picture with a slow shutter speed...if your shutter speed is 1/320 or higher there is usually no worry with the out of focus blur...

The ZS7 go to your menu and then scroll through to picture adjust and in the sub menu select Contrast 0 Saturation +1 Noise Reduction -1 Sharpness +1
This is a start to decent pic's with the ZS7...

Use Programmed Auto or "P" Mode...Always hold the camera steady or brace and then adjust your hands so you can squeeze the shutter without moving the camera...this is when I mostly blur shots is moving the camera when squeezing the shutter

Squeeze shutter halfway and wait on confirmation for autofocus lock and then continue to squeeze shutter without moving the camera...

this will get you some decent shots...

Also when using the flash insure your subject is within 7-8ft of the ZS7 as the flash is not very powerful, but very sufficient...

To shoot something moving fast and freeze it you have to have at minimum a 1/800 shutter speed and usually for birds flying it's 1/1000 so lot's of light is required...

To get a good picture inside without flash in low lighting (indoors) the shutter must stay open much longer and this could bring the shutter speed to 1/20 second easily so you have to insure the camera is held steady when taking the photo and even after you take until it has captured the photo without moving the camera...

Indoor shots are really assisted by how much light is in your home and the color of the interior walls if your walls are white or off white and you have good lighting you can get some very good indoor performance out of the the ZS7....

Good luck and post some shots so the good folks here can help you out...they've really helped me!

In all seriousness the ZS7 is one heck of a camera and I am really impressed by it...if you take some time to learn marginal skills you will really be able to make the most of it...it is also very good at close up shots so try some of those also...

I thought these were elementary, but good:
http://thephoblographer.com/2010/01/...n-your-camera/
http://thephoblographer.com/2009/12/...ngscene-modes/
LTZ, thanks a LOT for all the info you gave me! That's a lot to absorb in one messag, but I can always come back and practice various things you mentioned one by one.

Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:34 PM   #15

Quote:
LTZ. One thing I KNOW I want to get good at. What would be good settings for phtographing the MOON? The 2nd day I got the camera, there was a full moon with clouds to the left and right of it. Looked like something right out of a transition scene in a wolfman type movie. I had no idea wqhat seetings to put it on, but I know with a camera like mine, with the right settings, I can get a magnificent shot of a full moon. It would be GREAT if you could tell me what setting would get me a clear, crisp exposure. Below are a couple pics I took in intelligent auto mode with my ZS7, and you can see how pathetic the quality was. Any help regarding this type of photography would be GREATLY appreciated!
Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:44 PM   #16

LTZ, just for practice, here are a couple pics I took today of a giant mexican avacado. Resized both pics to 800x600 to post on here. Also, took the pics on macro setting. Other than what I mentioned above, no other modifications were made to the pics. Posted them just to show quality of camera's pic taking. By the time you all see these pics, the avacado will be in my stomach.....
Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:45 PM   #17

Last edited by chillgreg; Jan 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:53 AM   #18

The Moon is a very trying subject dependant upon the brightness of it and of course the haze or cloudiness between you and it's surface...

Start with Aperture Priority...set to Spot Focus...set to Spot Metering...with Aperture Priority try the lowest setting 3.3 then try 5.0 then try 8.0 and if the Moon is too bright try to adjust the exposure down 1/3 at a time taking a picture each step and evaluating each photo for the best details...this will take a little time but I have spent several nights shooting the moon and evaluating the photos...
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:48 AM   #19

Do you use the programmed auto mode (with these adjustments) for most of your basic shots, indoor and out instead of IA? I changed my Contrast, Sat, Noise, and Sharp to the settings below, should I make any changes to any of the other settings in the sub menu, WB, ISO, Metering, Focus, etc?

I'm trying to get the camera set up to take the best photos possible, and to make it easy for my wife to use. She is more the point and shoot person where I will work with the scene modes, and I would like to maximize the potential of the camera.

Thanks.

Quote:
Sarah you usually have a very good tutorial on Programmed Auto...for a starting point...

DesolateOne the blurry shots are more than likely caused by low lighting and camera movement when taking pictures with low lighting...the ZS7 will do the same if you move it while taking a picture with a slow shutter speed...if your shutter speed is 1/320 or higher there is usually no worry with the out of focus blur...

The ZS7 go to your menu and then scroll through to picture adjust and in the sub menu select Contrast 0 Saturation +1 Noise Reduction -1 Sharpness +1
This is a start to decent pic's with the ZS7...

Use Programmed Auto or "P" Mode...Always hold the camera steady or brace and then adjust your hands so you can squeeze the shutter without moving the camera...this is when I mostly blur shots is moving the camera when squeezing the shutter

Squeeze shutter halfway and wait on confirmation for autofocus lock and then continue to squeeze shutter without moving the camera...

this will get you some decent shots...

Also when using the flash insure your subject is within 7-8ft of the ZS7 as the flash is not very powerful, but very sufficient...

To shoot something moving fast and freeze it you have to have at minimum a 1/800 shutter speed and usually for birds flying it's 1/1000 so lot's of light is required...

To get a good picture inside without flash in low lighting (indoors) the shutter must stay open much longer and this could bring the shutter speed to 1/20 second easily so you have to insure the camera is held steady when taking the photo and even after you take until it has captured the photo without moving the camera...

Indoor shots are really assisted by how much light is in your home and the color of the interior walls if your walls are white or off white and you have good lighting you can get some very good indoor performance out of the the ZS7....

Good luck and post some shots so the good folks here can help you out...they've really helped me!

In all seriousness the ZS7 is one heck of a camera and I am really impressed by it...if you take some time to learn marginal skills you will really be able to make the most of it...it is also very good at close up shots so try some of those also...

I thought these were elementary, but good:
http://thephoblographer.com/2010/01/...n-your-camera/
http://thephoblographer.com/2009/12/...ngscene-modes/
tmal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmal14 View Post
Do you use the programmed auto mode (with these adjustments) for most of your basic shots, indoor and out instead of IA? I changed my Contrast, Sat, Noise, and Sharp to the settings below, should I make any changes to any of the other settings in the sub menu, WB, ISO, Metering, Focus, etc?

I'm trying to get the camera set up to take the best photos possible, and to make it easy for my wife to use. She is more the point and shoot person where I will work with the scene modes, and I would like to maximize the potential of the camera.

Thanks.
For Macros/Close Ups Spot Metering and Spot Focus...AF Tracking for moving children/pets...11 Area for Landscapes...I use one area for portrait type photos all the time with good results...

AWB works OK for me except under flourescent lights...I use Shade when indoors

Set ISO to 400 Max as anything above is not good...turn off Iresolution and Iexposure set anti-jitter to #2 setting...

Make sure that you/her adamant about holding camer very still for best shots or brace against some I.E. Door Way...Wall...Etc it will give you much better photos...