Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:37 AM   #1

Default Panasonic DMC ZS7 new owner, could use advice

Well, I'm new to the area of photography (at least as a hobby). I don't hang around too many people, and was looking for a hobby to get into that didn't require me to have "partners". Photography made a lot of sense. It's cheap (AFTER you buy the camera), and you do it by yourself. 3 years ago, before photography was even in my mind as a hobby, I bought a Canon Powershot A570. I only used it once in a great while. One day I put it in the closet, where it still is to this day. Last year, I saw a sale on digital cameras that included an Olympus 12 mp FE-4000 for $79.00. I bought it, used it for about a month, and noticed that about half the pics I took with it came out blurry. I got so fed up with that camera, I gave it away to a friend for free. Last month was the time when I decided I needed a hobby that was good for solitary people. THIS time, I got online and researched digital point and shoots for 2 WEEKS. I knew I didn't want an SLR because I wanted something that I could tuck away in my carry pouch and pull out at ANY time and get good quality pics / video. I live in Los Angeles, and you have no IDEA of what crazy event might happen in front of you at any random time. I eventually stumbled across the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7, which was rated by multiple online digital camera review sites as one of the top 3 digital point and shoots of 2009. It's got it's downfalls, but even so, is considered one of the best point and shoots currently on the market. I decided that was going to be the one I was going to get. I found an online deal for it for $319.00 and ordered it. It took about a week to arrive, and I've been playing around with it for the past couple weeks. I hope there are people on here that also own the camera, as I am DESPERATE to learn various methods and settings for good pics. If there's anyone on this site that has the camera and can use it fairly well, please let me know as I'd love if you could give me tips and pointers!
The Desolate One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:04 PM   #2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 Tips
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:35 PM   #3

I hope TheDesolateOne speaks Italian, Greg-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:03 PM   #4

If you look there is a google translation link at the top of that page, thanks Sarah.

Last edited by chillgreg; Jun 9, 2010 at 3:09 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Firstly, I don't speak Italian. As far as reading about tips online, I could have gone through the CD rom that came with the camera and read it back to back. I read some of it, then burned out on it's insipidness. But from what I gather, the purpose of sites like these is USER INTERACTION regarding the subject matter. If I ask for tips on here and the first thing that is done is someone sends me a link of tips to read, it negates the purpose of being on this site to begin with. I could have googled "tips" for my particular camera and got the same result. Hearing suggestions from another person that has the same camera as mine is a much more enriching experience than reading a standard "tips" based website.

The Desolate One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:04 PM   #6

Last edited by chillgreg; Jun 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:10 PM   #7

desolateone-

We need a specific question about a certain feature or camera setting. Understandably, we cannot teach you the entire camera, but we are happy to answer specific questions.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:51 PM   #8

Sarah you usually have a very good tutorial on Programmed Auto...for a starting point...

DesolateOne the blurry shots are more than likely caused by low lighting and camera movement when taking pictures with low lighting...the ZS7 will do the same if you move it while taking a picture with a slow shutter speed...if your shutter speed is 1/320 or higher there is usually no worry with the out of focus blur...

The ZS7 go to your menu and then scroll through to picture adjust and in the sub menu select Contrast 0 Saturation +1 Noise Reduction -1 Sharpness +1
This is a start to decent pic's with the ZS7...

Use Programmed Auto or "P" Mode...Always hold the camera steady or brace and then adjust your hands so you can squeeze the shutter without moving the camera...this is when I mostly blur shots is moving the camera when squeezing the shutter

Squeeze shutter halfway and wait on confirmation for autofocus lock and then continue to squeeze shutter without moving the camera...

this will get you some decent shots...

Also when using the flash insure your subject is within 7-8ft of the ZS7 as the flash is not very powerful, but very sufficient...

To shoot something moving fast and freeze it you have to have at minimum a 1/800 shutter speed and usually for birds flying it's 1/1000 so lot's of light is required...

To get a good picture inside without flash in low lighting (indoors) the shutter must stay open much longer and this could bring the shutter speed to 1/20 second easily so you have to insure the camera is held steady when taking the photo and even after you take until it has captured the photo without moving the camera...

Indoor shots are really assisted by how much light is in your home and the color of the interior walls if your walls are white or off white and you have good lighting you can get some very good indoor performance out of the the ZS7....

Good luck and post some shots so the good folks here can help you out...they've really helped me!

In all seriousness the ZS7 is one heck of a camera and I am really impressed by it...if you take some time to learn marginal skills you will really be able to make the most of it...it is also very good at close up shots so try some of those also...

I thought these were elementary, but good:
http://thephoblographer.com/2010/01/...n-your-camera/
http://thephoblographer.com/2009/12/...ngscene-modes/

Last edited by LTZ470; Jun 10, 2010 at 6:37 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:31 AM   #9

LTZ-

Thanks for covering the mini tutorial for me all the way from Nigeria. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post

The ZS7 go to your menu and then scroll through to picture adjust and in the sub menu select Contrast 0 Saturation +1 Noise Reduction -1 Sharpness +1
This is a start to decent pic's with the ZS7...
Interesting LT. Do you use these settings at all times? Also, what kind of settings do you use for your macros? Anything special? I'm still toying with mine and some of your macros are stunning.
Polidore22 is offline   Reply With Quote