Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 9, 2003, 6:05 AM   #1

Default which flash ?

hello !
do you know what flash can be use with the fz10 ?

do you know if this flash work :

?
thanks !
flysurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:26 AM   #2

??
any idea ?
do you know if metz flash can be use ?
flysurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 9:22 PM   #3

I bought the Panasonic DMW-FL28 flash that is made for this camera. I paid $150 + shipping (no tax) from B & H in NYC.

You attach it, all the settings are already there, it seems to be a quality product, and it works as advertised.

I suppose I might have been able to save a few dollars by buying another brand elsewhere. However, after paying what I did for the camera, I felt I would be happier with the flash that is specifically made for it.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 9:22 PM   #4

I bought the Panasonic DMW-FL28 flash that is made for this camera. I paid $150 + shipping (no tax) from B & H in NYC.

You attach it, all the settings are already there, it seems to be a quality product, and it works as advertised.

I suppose I might have been able to save a few dollars by buying another brand elsewhere. However, after paying what I did for the camera, I felt I would be happier with the flash that is specifically made for it.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:19 AM   #5

paulmj,
Can you tell me what the specs are on the DMW-FL28PP? I can't find them anywhere online. I was given the Sunpak 383 as a recommendation for use with the FZ10 but I'd like to know if the DMW-FL28PP is comparable.
Chris J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:47 AM   #6

Autoeffective distance at f 2.8 setting is 32.8 ft.
Flash interval on alkalines is 0.2-4 seconds
No. of flashes on alkalines is 280-1400

There are corresponding numbers on NiMH and on NiCads.

Let me know what else you need to know and I'll look it up in the operating instructions.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 3:22 PM   #7

Default Sunpak vs. Panasonic flash

paul,
Here are the listed features for the Sunpak 383:

•bounce/swivel head, 3 f/stop auto ranges
•manual control with power ratio from full to 1/16
•exposure OK lamp
•Guide No. 120
•Auto Range: 2.3–60 ft
•Supplied with PC cord
•Uses 4 AA batteries or external battery packs
•Covers 35mm lens

Can you please tell me how the Panasonic flash compares to the Sunpak's features? I know very little about external flashes... I've never owned one myself. Are there features the Panasonic flash has when used with the FZ10 that I can't get with a third party flash?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Dec 17, 2003, 3:56 PM   #8

I don't have all the information you want readily available.

However, if the flash is made by Panasonic particularly for the FZ10 (among others), works automatically, has a preset in the camera for this particular flash, has a throw of almost 33 ft., and in essence you put it on and go...why worry about all the comparative details?

I think this is especially the case if you admit not being expert in such things.

You want it to fit, work with ease, and be very effective. I think that the Panasonic will do this for you.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:20 PM   #9

Default Hmmm...

I didn't know there are presets in the camera for the DMW-FL28. That's a bonus. As I said, I haven't been able to find any documentation on this flash anywhere online so any feedback you can give me is much appreciated. I even contacted a Panasonic rep who said he didn't have any info but would dig for it and get back to me. (!)

When I asked people on different forums about what to look for in a flash I was told things like "uniform white light with no visible gradations" and "variable power output control", etc. (huh?)

I just want to make an informed decision about which flash to buy so I don't look back and say "I wish I had bought a flash that has "X" feature". If the Panasonic flash can offer me everything the competition can than I'll definately buy it. It's a great looking flash but as I've learned with my past relationships looks aren't everything; it's what's inside that counts.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:56 PM   #10

I see you can buy the Sunpak for less than half of what I paid for the Panasonic. As I mentioned in my original post, the cost of the flash was not an issue with me because I paid top dollar for the camera and I wanted to be assured of a seamless "fit".

If this price differential is more significant to you, based on a cursory look at the Sunpak specs I would suggest that may be your best choice.

You mention looks...I really don't think that should enter into the equation. After all, it's only a flash attachment, and if it does that job well, that is all that should matter, at least to me.