Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:09 AM   #1

Default uv filters?

I have read in some posts that i should get a UV filter to protect the lens - good idea so it doesn't get scratched.
In other posts i have read i should take it off before shooting. Being newbie i am getting rather confussed.
1-Being in the UK what uv filter and size should i buy from amazon, i don't do e-bay.
2-can i leave it on all the time? i wouldn't remember to keep taking it off and i hink it is a hasstle anyway.
3-What can i get to be able to look at my taken photos without taking off the cover lens but be able to switch on the camera. for some reason, unlike my old Fuji, this camera won't let me switch it on with the lens still covering it.
4-is there an easy tutorial somewhere to learn how to use this FZ38 and if not can one be started by those knowledgable folks here?
I am finding it hard to learn being new and there is so much to remember too.
I know from posts that i am not the only newbie so ...
Thanks in advance
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
I have read in some posts that i should get a UV filter to protect the lens - good idea so it doesn't get scratched.
In other posts i have read i should take it off before shooting. Being newbie i am getting rather confussed.
1-Being in the UK what uv filter and size should i buy from amazon, i don't do e-bay.
2-can i leave it on all the time? i wouldn't remember to keep taking it off
3-What can i get to be able to look at my taken photos without taking off the cover lens but be able to switch on the camera. for some reason, unlike my old Fuji, this camera won't let me switch it on with the lens still covering it.
4-is there an easy tutorial somewhere to learn how to use this FZ38 and if not can one be started by those knowledgable folks here?

Thanks in advance
E.
46 mm - I bought a Hoya

2-can i leave it on all the time? i wouldn't remember to keep taking it off and i hink it is a hasstle anyway.
I leave mine on all the time.

Just set the button to playback mode - see picture - turn on the camera and you won't have to take the lens cap off.

Sarah Joyce just made one - go here - http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-advice-3.html

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:27 AM   #3

Clint, are you simply saying switch it on and play around with it? I guess that is what it must be as you didn't answer my questions, lol.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Clint, are you simply saying switch it on and play around with it? I guess that is what it must be as you didn't answer my questions, lol.
I guess I didn't understand the question??
Your camera has 2 modes - one to take pictures (record) - when it's in the up position - see picture - if the lens cap is on and the button is in this position - the lens will bump the cap.

If you just want to look at your pictures on the LCD - move the button to the lower position - turn on the camera - (the lens will not bump the lens cap) - and you can look at your pictures without removing the lens cap.

If I'm going in the wrong direction - restate your question a different way.

or------------------did I just fall for your joke????????????

Last edited by Clint501; Jun 18, 2010 at 7:47 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:50 AM   #5

Thanks Clint, you answered questions 3 &4.
question 1 was about buying a uv filter to protect the lens - what size to buy and question 2 was can i leave it on the camera all the time?
I am in the UK so would be buying from amazon and i think the FZ38 needs a certain size and i don't want to buy the wrng one.
Thanks Clint
E.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:53 AM   #6

I also got the 46mm Hoya filter from Amazon. I think you should leave it on all the time but last night I tried to take some shots of the moon and I noticed that I got a bad reflection with the filter on so I had to take it off for that but for everything else so far it's fine with it on.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:55 AM   #7

Thanks Martin. what size Hoya?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Clint, you answered questions 3 &4.
question 1 was about buying a uv filter to protect the lens - what size to buy and question 2 was can i leave it on the camera all the time?
I am in the UK so would be buying from amazon and i think the FZ38 needs a certain size and i don't want to buy the wrng one.
Thanks Clint
E.

46 mm - I bought a Hoya

I leave mine on all the time.

Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:04 AM   #9

Thanks Clint, now i will go order. i did look in the posts but couldn't find it. thanks again. any morew good info just pm me anytime. E
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:00 PM   #10

UV filter can degrade image quality and increase possibility of flares and ghosting. So if you are going to use one, just some simple rule of thumbs to keep the flares and ghosting down. Do not shoot directly at strong light sources. Use a lens hood if you can. And get a good multicoated with.