Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:34 AM   #1

Default Instead of UV

Instead of leaving the UV filter on the lens all the time what if I left the polarizing filter on instead? Rotate the filter to non polarizing position when polarizing is not needed.This way I don't have to change filters and I still get lens protection. Any thoughts?

Richie1
richie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:31 AM   #2

Lens protection is still there...but some light is reduced, i.e., larger f-stops, slower shutter speeds or a combination of the two will be required. But in practicality, if one pic calls for a polarizer then probably shots shortly after will too and there's little reason to remove the polarizer. However, I think if there's no situation that calls for a polarizer; bright sunlight, the desire to saturate color, etc., then a UV or Skylight is probably a better way to go (strictly from a protection point of view, they are cheaper, too).

One or the other is always on my lens and my choice is based on the lighting...

john
jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:20 AM   #3

John is very correct-

Most folks, myself included want some protection for the lens. However, leaving the polarizer in place all the time really cuts down the light and it will reduce you high ISO capability measurably.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:29 PM   #4

Most pol filters are not multi-coated and the ones that are, are very expensive. As Sarah mentioned, the problem with pol filter is that it cuts down the light too much (some over 2 ftops). This is OK in bright daylight as long as you don't need to shoot with high shutter speed (action shots) or the camera will force the ISO up.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:51 AM   #5

As always thanks everyone. You guys and gals always answer my questions.

Richie
richie1 is offline   Reply With Quote