Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:03 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - best setting for indoor flash people shots?

I took one on the iA mode and it wasn't all that clear. Where did I go wrong? Should I use P mode instead or the Portrait setting? And in general - should I change the "sharpness" to +1 or +2? Thanks!
runner1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:54 PM   #2

Well you didn't give us all that much to comment on, but I use P mode for indoor flash with really good results. But iA should work pretty well. Did you allow time for the auto focus to set?

When you say "wasn't all that clear" it could mean out of focus, motion blur (although the flash should prevent that), blown out because your too close, etc. You've got a great camera which will handle indoor flash easily. Try lots and lots of other shots, experiment with some settings and scenes. I have tried the different sharpness settings and use "0". To my eye they didn't make that much difference.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:12 AM   #3

A little out of focus they were -- maybe I just need to experiment a little more and try the P mode. thanks
runner1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:36 PM   #4

Taking candid shots is one of the most challenging but rewarding use of my camera. While I make every attempt not to use the flash, it's actually become my best friend. I have grandchildren who are almost always in motion which means in lower light without the flash I get motion blur from slow shutter speeds. I'm still experimenting....and having fun!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:16 PM   #5

Do you know that a Slave Flash could solve all of that?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6

I set it on Program mode
intelligent exposure set to off
Exposure was set to -1/3 to -2/3
ISO sensitivity to Auto
ISO maxed at 800
white balance to AWB
metering mode to spot
pre af to off
Minimum shutter speed set to 1
Contrast+1, Sharpness +2, Saturation+1, Noise Reduce+1
Stabilizer set to Auto
Focus set to MANUAL mode

here's what i do:

I just zoom in to the subject then i press "af/ae lock" button, i then press the "Focus" button, when it finally focuses, I then press shutter release and take the shot!

Nice even on very lowlight situation it's sharp and clear.
iker3091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:38 PM   #7

iker-

Your procedure works for you due to the increased ISO setting. So that is great. The biggest issue usually with flash photos, using the FZ-35/38's built-in flash unit, is usually Flash Range. Flash Range is defined as the distance from camera to subject, measured in feet. In the "P" or Program Mode, with Auto ISO, the FZ-35/38 can provide the user with a Flash Range of 10 to 11 feet. Meaning that at lesser distance than 10 to 11 feet, the camera will reduce the exposure to compensate for the increased light output from the camera's built-in flash unit. Likewise, at distances greater than 10 to 11 feet, the camera will try to increase the ISO setting, but it will soon reach the ISO limit, and the camera's resulting photo will just get darker and darker due to under exposure.

Keep in mind that with the FZ-35/38, unless you are in the "S" or Shutter Priority Mode where you select the shutter speed, will use a shutter speed of from 1/30th to 1/60th of a second. That is not fast enough to stop any action. That is the reason that blurring occurs in your photos.

Once you have reached the Flash Range limit of 10 to 11 feet, to reduce the chance of an ISO increase that will result in more noise in your image, and to get a greater or increased Flash Range you can add more more light by using an accessory Slave Flash unit, such as the one shown in the attached photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:26 AM   #8

@ Sarah

Thanks mam for that clarification, i just wanted to shoot more pictures at lowlight without using flash and i guess i did achieved it somehow with still images of non-moving subjects.. mam i would appreciate it so much if you can recommend better detailed settings with the FZ35, so we can get clearer images now with slow moving subjects if possible. Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:48 AM   #9

Iker-

Keep in mind that with the FZ-35/38, unless you are in the "S" or Shutter Priority Mode where you select the shutter speed, the FZ-35 will automatically use a shutter speed of from 1/30th to 1/60th of a second, when in the "P" or Programed Auto mode. That is not fast enough to stop any action. That is the reason that blurring occurs in your photos.

Therefore, to stop even slow action, the "S" or shutter preference mode has to be used and the shutter speed advanced to at least 1/100 th to 1/125 th of a second. But keep in mind that this is once again reducing the amount of light reaching the FZ-35's photo imager. Therefore, you are going to have to reduce the Flash Range considerably, or increase the light output by adding an accessory Slave Flash to get the proper exposure.

Also, this will most probably take some experimentation to achieve the correct exposure.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:57 PM   #10

Sarah-

Wow thanks for that quick response and i do understand it quite clear now..ill be experimenting right away.. Thanks