Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
are you anywhere near Clint - he is a snake whisperer, and can take them out so you can photo without the glass :-)
Watch out! He likes to torture those of us that don't enjoy playing with them.
MindyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:17 AM   #12

I'm sorry for the late reply and I appreciate all the responses.

I'd like to photograph them thru the glass to show the cage setups and nature center atmosphere.

I'm in Connecticut and one of our state parks suddenly decided to revitalize a practically abandoned nature center that had been closed Idle for 10 years and went to the mice.

So we have old aquariums and some donated ones. Since we can only have native species and native species are illegal to buy we have had to collect our own. Its been hard time consuming work taking care of the animals and running programs for the visitors.

We have a pond tank, brackish water tank, tidal zone tank, black snake, garter snake, milk snake, stinkpot turtle, salamanders, mice (was supposed to be for the snake), bull frog, 2 green frogs, and pickerel frog, large toad forest tank, tiny baby toad tank, pollywogs, and box turtle. And now a cricket tub.

Its been total mayhem setting up the tanks on the fly and learning how to care for all of them and I would love to take photos of all the hard work.

I really appreciate the responses. I never realized how snakes are so misunderstood by the general population and it amazes me.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:24 PM   #13

Use a c-pl filter, it will help reduce the reflection from the glass. And get close up to the glass you are shooting through if you can frame it correctly.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:20 PM   #14

I was about to ask the same question myself. not related to tanks or snakes but next week i am going to a safari park and we have to be in a bus to go through the lions and tigers etc so what settings will be good to phootgraph animals through thick bus glass anyone?
Really hoping to get some good shots for my art but was disapointed about the thick glass of the bus.
Many thanks
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
I was about to ask the same question myself. not related to tanks or snakes but next week i am going to a safari park and we have to be in a bus to go through the lions and tigers etc so what settings will be good to phootgraph animals through thick bus glass anyone?
Really hoping to get some good shots for my art but was disapointed about the thick glass of the bus.
Many thanks
E.
Im getting a polarizing filter this week ready for when we go to Edinburgh zoo, want to make sure i got the best chance i can of getting some nice photos of the big cats etc.
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:49 PM   #16

no-ice, which one are you buying? i am getting stuck on this one - too many to choose from - on Amazon only for me.
I am off to Lord Bath's place to photograph his animals next week but remember well Edinburgh zoo and spent many happy hours there. I remember the oranutan too and was pleased to see a statu of him there as i knew him quite well, lol really.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:55 PM   #17

Quote:
no-ice, which one are you buying? i am getting stuck on this one - too many to choose from - on Amazon only for me.
I am off to Lord Bath's place to photograph his animals next week but remember well Edinburgh zoo and spent many happy hours there. I remember the oranutan too and was pleased to see a statu of him there as i knew him quite well, lol really.
Im just going to grab a cheapy off ebay to be honest. Its a 3-1 kit with UV and fluorescent too. Ive been to the zoo a few times, but this will be the first time with a camera so im keen to grab a photo of everything lol.
this is the kit on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeikos-ZE-FL...7931303&sr=8-1
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:59 PM   #18

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

was looking at these ones. what do you think? reviews not bad. let me know
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:06 PM   #19

Quote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

was looking at these ones. what do you think? reviews not bad. let me know
you'll be on safari before i hit the zoo, but i'll be sure to post some pics
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:08 PM   #20

will be great to see them. I am going to play very safe and stay on the auto mode, too new to mess about and miss shots.