Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:10 AM   #11

No-Ice,

That's the first time I've seen a bee butt shot posted.
Well done "unusual perspective".

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:50 AM   #12

Default 1/160

I just bought my Panasonic FZ-35 camera and I can't figure out how to change the settings for the 1/160 and f4.4 and f5.6. I have NO Idea what those mean btw, but I'm trying to take a good moon shot and I keep reading that people are using these settings, but can't find it anywhere!!!
Panthera75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera75 View Post
I just bought my Panasonic FZ-35 camera and I can't figure out how to change the settings for the 1/160 and f4.4 and f5.6. I have NO Idea what those mean btw, but I'm trying to take a good moon shot and I keep reading that people are using these settings, but can't find it anywhere!!!
i couldnt find it either and the sky got pretty cloudy and i stopped trying when i took that shot in post 2.
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-ice View Post
i couldnt find it either and the sky got pretty cloudy and i stopped trying when i took that shot in post 2.
Figured it out, when ready to take a pic (In Manual Mode) with the LCD, look for that joystick button that says Q.Menu and move to the left to choose the f.4.4 and then move the button up and down to change that number. Then when you're done with that, move the joystick button to the right to choose the 1/200 and then move up and down to change those number.
Panthera75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:22 PM   #15

Panthera-

Make it simple. Let the camera do it for you. Use the "P" or Programed Auto mode. The camera will meter using the actual light existing in your particular photo scene. The actual light where you are taking the photo is what is important. It is a constantly changing setting based on exactly the light in which you are photographing.

The F 4.4 aperture and 1/160th of a second shutter speed does not apply to all lighting, at all. It applied only to one very specific photo situation. Let the camera work for you. It can measure the exact light much better than your eye can.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:31 AM   #16

How did you get that bee bum shot?
Panthera, didn't know you could do that. i have been looking too and trying to figure that one out. doing my head in with all this learning stuff and still cannot work things out and don't want to look a right idiot by keep asking on here either. clever you for figuring that out.
Sarah, what is the point of the M mode if it may as well be used in the P mode? is spot metering better than the other options? I have read and read photographic stuff and stayed up until dawn doing that too to try to learn but is there now a simple way for simple people like me? I write every tip down in a note book too to refer too but i still get confussed, maybe it is just me.
E
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:39 AM   #17

I followed your instructions but don't get the same thing. In M mode i pressed the q menu and got the stabalizer, the metering, the af mode, the white balance,the iso,the intellegent exposure, picture size, sh, and lcd mode.
When i read somehthing of interest i try it out and take notes - didn't work for me so what did i do wrong?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:27 AM   #18

Eysha - when you go into the M mode - it lets you manually set all those functions. When you said it didn't work for you it's like me saying I tried to paint a picture and it didn't turn out right, what should I do?

The FZ35/38 is a great camera that will do the work for you.
I rarely use all those "extra" settings - I mainly use the IA mode- macro mode or P mode.

When in doubt - stay in the IA mode - hold the button down half way - hold steady - press it all the way down and take lots of pictures.

Don't let all the technical terms take the fun out of picture taking.

How do you teach a student to paint?
Use that same method on taking pictures.
You're not doing anything "wrong" - you are just learning and discovering the "art" of photography.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
How did you get that bee bum shot?
i took a dozen or so photos in the local primary school garden, there were plenty bees, it was in macro mode and i had to hold steady in my hands, and that was the nicest shot. i just cropped to the center to get that image posted.
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:04 PM   #20

Thanks Clint, i agree with you. I never used any of the settings on my Fuji fd8000 and when i got this one i promised myself i would lear photography and i am trying but i know what you are saying and i agree. But i still cannot find those settings in manuel. I have to find them now before i can forget them - so where are they, and how do i do it? lol.
No-ice, you go that shot without a macro lens etc? wow. how close were you to the bee?